Spice Bush in thinned forest area- is it that bad?

DRG3

5 year old buck +
I have a 3/4 acre area where a year ago I killed most of the cannopy with Girdle and squirt or hack and squirt. One of the first plants to come back was spice bush. I have heard this isn't desirable, but I would like to understand why?
My primary goal is turkey habitat and deer a close second. It seems like the spice bush would give overhead cover for turkey poults and allow for movement. I guess it may be that it shades out the other successional growth, but to what extent?

I would love to hear ideas, experiences and suggestions for how to manage this, or to let it go.

I think I'm learning that the secondary management of thinned timber is harder than the killing of it.

I have a good bit of it in places. I don't feel bad about getting rid of some of it, but I don't want the entire understory to be spicebush. I haven't seen it do that. It does make pretty good cover and it fruits in early autumn. I want some for the cover and berries. It can be aggressive, so I'd just keep an eye on it. I wouldn't go out of my way to declare war on it. It has its place.

I have a good bit of it in places. I don't feel bad about getting rid of some of it, but I don't want the entire understory to be spicebush. I haven't seen it do that. It does make pretty good cover and it fruits in early autumn. I want some for the cover and berries. It can be aggressive, so I'd just keep an eye on it. I wouldn't go out of my way to declare war on it. It has its place.
Thanks. This particular area is low lying in a creek bottom. I have 3 other areas about this size on other parts of my land that it doesn't seem to be a factor in.