Habitat projects for the weekend?

Took the time to do the semi annual mowing of my gas line food plot. What little WR that was left was dying off so it was time to knock it and all the other forbs/grasses back. About the end of august I’ll broadcast some more WR and mow again. 08A25576-CC96-4B58-9261-69A69B0F69CA.jpeg
5F602245-A71B-40C2-88C2-70D826ACCF9E.jpeg

Cleaned up the apple tree nursery a bit. Although the trees don't really get nursed, they've got to make it on their own. Of the 28 seedlings in here that were grafted in spring, only 2 have failed. Most have over 12" of growth on them. The two best are a Dayton and an Ides Of March.
PXL_20220626_154815655.jpg
PXL_20220626_154900457.jpg
PXL_20220626_154947538.jpg

Lots of blow down trees to be cleaned up at the parents cabin and we rebuilt their deck too.

FF8DA568-23C1-4280-B4CE-6AA4A7E0CA29.jpeg
1927A0CF-08A8-4876-B7D7-1B9BEF64B9D8.jpeg
Checked out 7 day progress on the sorghum screen at my land in the way home. Germination looks pretty solid but my weed control(RCG) does not. I’m hopeful it’ll still grow and compete enough to make a good screen. Busy weekend!

Filled up a couple of water holes with my new repurposed spray rig. I can drain 300 gallons in about 15 minutes.

My other hole is downhill off a main trail so I just leave a 75’ long 2” ejector pump hose laying there with one end on the trail and the other hanging over the lip. Just slip it over the tank drain and listen to the radio as horse flys beat their brains out on the glass. 😉

Attachments

• B00AEBB8-A100-4392-9F73-AE31C94D5787.jpeg
    B00AEBB8-A100-4392-9F73-AE31C94D5787.jpeg
    679.2 KB · Views: 32
Filled up a couple of water holes with my new repurposed spray rig. I can drain 300 gallons in about 15 minutes.

My other hole is downhill off a main trail so I just leave a 75’ long 2” ejector pump hose laying there with one end on the trail and the other hanging over the lip. Just slip it over the tank drain and listen to the radio as horse flys beat their brains out on the glass. 😉
What model tractor is that? Looks exactly like what I'm looking to upgrade to.

Scored a old pontoon boat for $500 planning to use it as a floating raft in one of the farm ponds just got to get it moved out to one of the farms in the next couple weeks..

My hydraulics on my 951C quit me a couple weeks ago fooled around a couple times with it since finally tonight my middle boy and I drove over to the farm and started taking the lower engine panel off. Low and behold the top bolt that holds the vane pump to the block is laying on top of it???? Put it back in snugged it up started crawler and hallelujah hydraulics work again tried to tighten bottom bolt and it had fallen out also. I don’t mean they where loose they both where out completely. LOL
9408A8E0-7202-4013-9F3F-79352313A74E.jpeg

My hydraulics on my 951C quit me a couple weeks ago fooled around a couple times with it since finally tonight my middle boy and I drove over to the farm and started taking the lower engine panel off. Low and behold the top bolt that holds the vane pump to the block is laying on top of it???? Put it back in snugged it up started crawler and hallelujah hydraulics work again tried to tighten bottom bolt and it had fallen out also. I don’t mean they where loose they both where out completely. LOL
View attachment 44174
At least you have "good help"^^^^^

bill

He runs it some usually moving it around the farm or I have him operate it when skidding out logs.

My plan was to get my bigger plot lightly disced, and planted this weekend, but I decided to start it this morning. I am almost done already. I decided to plant winter peas, PPT, and Daikan radish. I usually plant between the 4th of July, and the middle of July, but the forecast was calling for some rain early next week. Last summer, I planted, it rain 1 time, it sprouted, then no rain after that, so they all dried up and died. Hoping for better results this year. Normally I would have a good stand of winter rye this time of year, but we never got any rain last year to make it grow. So my plot was mostly weeds, with clover. I didnt want to spray with gly, so I lightly disced it.

I'm planning for a big weekend. Wife and kids are going to be away so I plan on spending most of the weekend in the woods. Going to plant brassicas and mow the rye. Start putting up the box stand I wanted to get up last year. Maybe get the bow out and shoot a bit. Tear down the old spring house and dam it up so it's more of a small pond. Spray invasives.

I'm planning on mowing a half acre of a hayfield that I want to turn into a plot...it just so happens to be right next to my existing half acre plot...will spray next week and plant no later than July 15th (I hope)..doing a combo of ladino, mammoth red, aberlasting, WI clover, WI fusion and some brassicas...will probably add some oats/WR later depending on how it looks..
will add some brassicas to my other existing plot and then mow it down a ways to see if I can get that to grow decent around the middle of the month as well...

I don’t normally plant any plots this time of year a little to much like gambling for my taste wondering if we will get enough rain. I am considering planting some buckwheat now as a green fertilizer then discing it under come September and planting winter rye and Durana Clover. Called several seed dealers yesterday and only found one that even has any buckwheat in stock $75 a 50lb. bag.

I'm planning for a big weekend. Wife and kids are going to be away so I plan on spending most of the weekend in the woods. Going to plant brassicas and mow the rye. Start putting up the box stand I wanted to get up last year. Maybe get the bow out and shoot a bit. Tear down the old spring house and dam it up so it's more of a small pond. Spray invasives.

Yes,its tough when they are away

I always just don't know what I'm gonna do..............first

bill

Hack/Squirted several trees around some persimmons we found then tubed and weed matted some late drop sawtooth oak we direct seeded this spring. Seed source for the sawtooth was Teeder thank you sir they have done well. Boys pulled out a few small bass from one of the ponds after we finished.
41208C9D-A525-4925-BBFF-ACF40F1AB5B5.jpeg

Tied up a gallaway pear topwork. Previous variety and pear next to it died back to the roots due to fireblight, so we’ll see how this variety handles disease.
5f10b22021b0f7db9e8280c604f60d97.jpg

Mulberry topwork got mauled by deer but is still going. Will be interesting to see if it pulls through
ac928607376ef111ce3097a25a70ca1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What verity of mulberry is it?

What verity of mulberry is it?

“Big white”, will be interesting to see what it does. I mostly grafted Illinois Everbearing this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been on the lookout for a couple of the Illinois everbearing I want to plant a couple of them myself. My dad had a huge one in his yard in Oshkosh Wi many years ago in a house he lived in for a while impressive tree.

I picked up a 50lb bag of buckwheat I’m going to try and utilize as green fertilizer. Hopefully I’ll get it planted this weekend.