Green cover summer release and fall release pics.

You got something wrong. Army worms maybe?

If it was bin run and sprayed with gly at dry down before the seed was harvested, that would knock germination down a ways.

Also, if it was dry, a flock of turkeys and helpers could clean up all that seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The seed had a tag but now I wonder if it was certified and I was sold some old seed. I will not be going back to that elevator ever again. I will plan to call this week for an explanation. I did not spray the field but mowed it down to 3 inches with plenty of dirt showing. It was planted over 2023 labor day weekend. There was really only 1 rain until October. My dad said he never saw anything growing in the field. I'm curious why when I walked the field this week I did not see any seed that did not germinate anywhere. Could it have germinated and just died from drought. I now have a roller crimper but didn't last year. Now I wonder if you roller crimp and then used a cultipacker would the seed be pushed into the soil like a no till drill.

My guess is no soil moisture/rain to germinate seed, while seed was laying dormant on the ground, the birds had a field day and cleaned up your seed. Even old seed germinates >70% likely closer to 90% with adequate moisture.

#1 culprit - lack of rain
#2 culprit - seed predators

Just my opinion.

My guess is no soil moisture/rain to germinate seed, while seed was laying dormant on the ground, the birds had a field day and cleaned up your seed. Even old seed germinates >70% likely closer to 90% with adequate moisture.

#1 culprit - lack of rain
#2 culprit - seed predators

Just my opinion.
Plausible. BUT.....hard for birds and critters to get ALL the seeds. One would think 10 to 20% of the seed would germinate at a worst case.

The seed had a tag but now I wonder if it was certified and I was sold some old seed. I will not be going back to that elevator ever again. I will plan to call this week for an explanation. I did not spray the field but mowed it down to 3 inches with plenty of dirt showing. It was planted over 2023 labor day weekend. There was really only 1 rain until October. My dad said he never saw anything growing in the field. I'm curious why when I walked the field this week I did not see any seed that did not germinate anywhere. Could it have germinated and just died from drought. I now have a roller crimper but didn't last year. Now I wonder if you roller crimp and then used a cultipacker would the seed be pushed into the soil like a no till drill.
I don't know. Seed always gets the blame when it doesn't germinate but I never believed it, not a 100% failure. You "planted" 700 lbs which is about 12 million seeds and I don't think birds are the answer either. I could buy lack of moisture at a critical germination time - if it wasn't rye. I would take a shovel and dig a couple holes in the field. You'll know if you have soil structure problems. Other than that, Mother Nature can be mysterious.

The elevator said they sold over 6 tons of rye last year and I was the only one thus far whose seed did not take off. It's possible it germinated and then the lack of rain just decimated it. That part of michigan was in severe drought all year. I appreciate everyone's candid answers

It's possible it germinated and then the lack of rain just decimated it. That part of michigan was in severe drought all year.
I had this happen last spring. A couple rounds of it!

Westwind what did you plant that didn't make it.

Just wanted to show you these pictures from my drainage ditch the drains over 100 acres. Normally I have water flowing until May. This year I could blow the leaves out in March and no water flowing.

Attachments

• 20240328_164532.jpg
    20240328_164532.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240328_164525.jpg
    20240328_164525.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 26
I thought folks might use this ph and fertilizer usage graph.

Attachments

• 20211227_195250.jpg
    20211227_195250.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 32
I thought folks might use this ph and fertilizer usage graph.
This comes up every couple of years Matt.

If I was a farmer I would keep my ph perfect.

As a food plotter I tend to use more plants (rye) that do well for my environment. Which is a low ph. I also don’t use synthetic fertilizer much, so I use plants that can mine for specifics nutrients and add them back to the soil.

Cliff notes. Ph is important, but not quite like that graph presents.

Omi. Talk about putting salt in the wound. I've got brown dead fields and you got more OM to shake a stick at. Congrats. I hope I can turn it around this year.

I’ve been there my man. Just keep planting.

Curious has anyone tried masolyn. A mixture rye wheat and barley for a winter crop. If so what percentage of each did you plant.

That's awesome. I see some carbon in your fields.