Green cover summer release and fall release pics.

Are the deer keeping them mowed that short or is it a lack of rainfall? It seems like there isn't a lot of food there for this time of year.
I didn’t plant until mid October. Didn’t get rain for three months till then.

They keep it mowed right but honestly it’s length I want it. If it gets more than 3-4 inches then deer don’t like it as much.

Also clover doesn’t survive summer much so all the clover is new. If mainly puts down roots u too spring. Then it will look like a jungle.

I didn’t plant until mid October. Didn’t get rain for three months till then.

They keep it mowed right but honestly it’s length I want it. If it gets more than 3-4 inches then deer don’t like it as much.

Also clover doesn’t survive summer much so all the clover is new. If mainly puts down roots u too spring. Then it will look like a jungle.
I agree on the length if they are all cereal grains, I thought you put in a blend with brassicas, etc.

Looks like your soil took care of the thatch/summer growth/biomass really well.

I agree on the length if they are all cereal grains, I thought you put in a blend with brassicas, etc.
Brassicas seem to be a northern thing. I plant some with the crops but never see them do much. I do see some tubers when I plant in spring.

We don’t get much of a fall. It’s dry and high 80s until November. Then gets pretty cool. Been 50s high and 30s low so things germinate but don’t take off.

I have planted September before and got rain and grains will head out by now. So older I get later I plant.

IMG_2864.jpeg

This plot I planted late September. It’s a clover plot so less grains. But the grains are about 6 inches tall and the deer use has dropped tremendously the last few weeks. I used to not believe the young supple plant thing but with cameras I have seen it. They pretty much eat the grain till about 2-3 inches tall, then don’t eat again till the seed heads!

Up here I mix radishes with the cereals so that even if the weather all cooperates and the grains get stale, you still get the leafy radish attractant and then a tuber.

Up here I mix radishes with the cereals so that even if the weather all cooperates and the grains get stale, you still get the leafy radish attractant and then a tuber.
I put 3-4lbs of brassicas in at same planting time. Might be some growing. I’ll check next time there.

Curious if anyone uses RM 43. 43 percent glycophate n imazapher with a surfactant.

Is that all rye coming in? What else do you have in the mix coming out of winter?
100 Rye

25 Wheat

25 Oats

6 Buckwheat

10 Crimson

4 Yuchi Arrowleaf

4 Kenland Red

4 Subterranean

3 Clover king

2 Persian

2 Renovation white

3 Brassica

It’s all angle. If you stand up and look down at it it looks like all clover.

Last edited:
This is how it looks after 200 pounds of broadcasted rye last fall did not germinate. I'm curious if u used a cultipacker after crimping your your field would it make any difference in getting seed in the ground for seed that is broadcasted through the surface duff

Attachments

• 20240328_164945.jpg
    20240328_164945.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 19
This is how it looks after 200 pounds of broadcasted rye last fall did not germinate. I'm curious if u used a cultipacker after crimping your your field would it make any difference in getting seed in the ground for seed that is broadcasted through the surface duff
Any idea why your seed did not take? Have any left? Put some in a wet paper towel and place it in a bag.....and place it in the sun. In a few days you should see if the seed will germinate.

I'm sure that packing the seed with a packer or crimper would help. Anything to help get ground to seed contact is beneficial.

I very rarely cultipack after broadcasting rye and have never had a complete failure like that. Sometimes it's not as thick as I'd like due to competition, but something always comes up. I think Foggy's got the right idea on starting with a ragdoll test.

I actually planted 700 pounds on 3.5 acres last fall. NONE came up. NONE . I do not have any seed left to run the test foggy prescribed. I blew the leaves off the fields this weekend and I did not see any seed that did not germinate laying anywhere on the ground. All 3.5 acres look the same brown n dead. Is it possible that the seed was no good and the elevator dealer sold me outdated rye.

I actually planted 700 pounds on 3.5 acres last fall. NONE came up. NONE . I do not have any seed left to run the test foggy prescribed. I blew the leaves off the fields this weekend and I did not see any seed that did not germinate laying anywhere on the ground. All 3.5 acres look the same brown n dead. Is it possible that the seed was no good and the elevator dealer sold me outdated rye.
Definitely a case for the professionals. So strange. I'd talk to them down at the elevator and see if anybody else had a similar experience.

I actually planted 700 pounds on 3.5 acres last fall. NONE came up. NONE . I do not have any seed left to run the test foggy prescribed. I blew the leaves off the fields this weekend and I did not see any seed that did not germinate laying anywhere on the ground. All 3.5 acres look the same brown n dead. Is it possible that the seed was no good and the elevator dealer sold me outdated rye
That's really curious. Did you spray this field before you planted? Was the seed certified? Or was it just bin-run?