Green cover summer release and fall release pics.

IMG_2192.jpeg

So decided to use my Firminator on my dedicated clover fields this year. Used rye, oats, and clover mix. Hoping the light discing gets me some free rye and clover from last year. Perennials just won’t last the summer, so reseeeding annuals will be it. If I don’t get a good year this way, I will just convert all fields to my summer and fall double planting mix.
IMG_2221.jpegIMG_2219.jpeg
My deer vetch/Alyce clover/sorghum is still going strong. Where I cut lanes though the field every plant is nipped on on each side. I do think it gets so thick deer won’t just walk out in it so the lanes I cut seem to be doing the job.
IMG_2220.jpeg
My hilltop fields are just bone dry. I don’t think there is much moisture even down a couple of inches. Gonna wait to plant until at least some rain on the horizon. I hate it because bow season starts in two weeks, but they will just have to eat the summer crops Till then! The sorghum and millet I cut is regrowing in some areas so maybe a little moisture though
IMG_2222.jpeg

So what I thought was all sorghum Sudan, most ended up being the teosinte I planted! Man it got tall and thick and had so many tillers. 12-14’ tall. This is a screen I planted with teosinte 10, sorghum Sudan 10, 5 of sorghum and Millet. Also it supposedly will reseed next year. We shall see.
IMG_2207.jpegIMG_2206.jpeg

Planting the last of my fields today. I will post some pictures later today. 100 pounds of rye, 50 pounds of oats and wheat, about five clovers, and 3 pounds of brassica.

Drill settings. Gear 3, 63. 80 on small seed. Planting about 1 inch on bigger seed.

Planting the last of my fields today. I will post some pictures later today. 100 pounds of rye, 50 pounds of oats and wheat, about five clovers, and 3 pounds of brassica.

Drill settings. Gear 3, 63. 80 on small seed. Planting about 1 inch on bigger seed.
Where are your drive wheel and closing wheels set for 1" depth?

2 up from the bottom, 5 up from the back

IMG_2247.jpegIMG_2243.jpeg

Whew. Long day. Got everything planted today. Now just need some rain. About 10 acres planted. I planted all my trails and roads, about 5 acres, yesterday, and 3 acres of clover fields last week. Now to hunt!

Whew. Long day. Got everything planted today. Now just need some rain. About 10 acres planted. I planted all my trails and roads, about 5 acres, yesterday, and 3 acres of clover fields last week. Now to hunt!
What are you planting on your roads?

Two fields from up on this page that I drilled into standing crops.
IMG_2250.jpegIMG_2251.jpeg

Fall release broadcast before a good rain. It’s really dried out but it’s been cool. The deer have been relentless, I’ll follow up with more cereal grains this month.

2362a2b9fdf383e8ec14d5b17d130718.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems like the summer crops terminate much easier than the rye does. I didn’t crimp, just drill. The thicker stalked stuff breaks as the drill rides over it. Looks almost like I crimped it though.
IMG_2258.jpeg

Another issue I read and experienced is when drilling into these standing crops all the seeds and duff flies into the radiator of the tractor. I had to blow out the engine about every hour. It was a PIA. The article I read said some farmers put a reverse fan on radiator to combat the issue, but it’s an expensive fix.

I might try running crimper in front next year to help with that. I wanted to keep some vertical cover in the field, but most of the tall stuff is down and not standing after drilling. I might leave a border if summer stuff standing around fields or a couple of strips for the vertical cover, and I’ve surrounded the fields with native grasses which should be tall by next year.

Sorry I post so much. I’m using this thread as my running commentary, partially so I can read it in later years. Also it’s fun to read about others experiences on these issues.

I enjoy the commentary

What are your drill settings for this mix? pounds /acre?

thanks

bill

Apologies in advance if you have already posted settings

For my main fields I did 100 rye, 25 oats, 25 wheat, 10 crimson, 6-7 buckwheat, 3 total of 4 brassicas at gear 3, 63, cup size 1, trench 1 inch, and press wheels 5 from the back.

Small seed box I used 4 Yuchi arrowleaf, 4 Kenland red, 4 subterranean (I had a 50lb bag sitting around for a couple of years and just threw in, 2 Persian, 2 renovation white. I ordered fixation balansa to use but came in late so I think I’ll just save it. I used 70 on small seed box, but one of the clover seeds was huge and It didn’t come out that well.

Damm omicron I'm major league impressed. Please keep uploading more pictures of your successes.

My roadsides after spraying imox, triclopyr, and arsenal in June.
IMG_2262.jpeg