Grass in food plot. Need advise

ToddG

5 year old buck +
I have a 3/4 acre food plot that was planted in Buckwheat. The deer hammered it pretty hard and grass took over. I didn't want to mow it because the deer were still using it. The grass seeded out and I just mowed it today. I know there is a lot of grass seed just waiting to germinate. Should I till it now and let the grass germinate and then either till it again or kill with gly. I just want a decent plot for the winter.
Thanks,

It's late in the summer season and if your plot is in VA, you are going to start getting into fall and frost in the next month or so, so you probably don't have too much to worry about for the grass to germinate and crowd out what ever you are going to plant. What are you planning on planting and when?

Your main issue is going to be come spring time. The grass won't do too much this year, but it may take over your plot pretty quickly come spring. Depending on what you plant you may need to spray gly or cleth to kill off the grass come spring. Letting weeds go to seed is to be avoided for long term weed control. All those seeds will now sit and wait for a chance to germinate for years to come. What sort of grass was/is it? If it's something like foxtail that isn't so bad.....if it's a perennial type cool or warm season you will more than likely have to deal with it next year at some point.

The plot is in Va and I'm going to plant winter rye and crimson clover. I had another plot like this that I got under control this summer. I guess I'll just seed heavy and deal with the grass in the spring. Should I start fighting the grass as soon as it starts actively growing early spring and then plant buckwheat?

The plot is in Va and I'm going to plant winter rye and crimson clover. I had another plot like this that I got under control this summer. I guess I'll just seed heavy and deal with the grass in the spring. Should I start fighting the grass as soon as it starts actively growing early spring and then plant buckwheat?

Grasses won't be a problem. Here is why. They are likely annual summer grasses. When you plant WR and crimson, they will germinate and get an become your fall plot. They will be advantaged by weather over any summer grasses. Because they are already germinated and growing, they will smother grass next spring. The crimson will be effective this fall and reseed and cove early spring. It will become a non-player after that. If you don't mow the WR and just let it head-out, you will get some use of the grain heads. You may get some weeds in the middle of summer but they won't hurt anything for your fall plant.

Here in VA, weeds are not really a problem in fall plots. Our weed issue is mostly with warm season annuals. They are advantaged by summer weather and crops are disadvantaged by a combination of weed competition and browse pressure. If you are just planting fall plots, weed are of little concern.

My view on weeds is not the typical view. If you want the bigger picture on my view of weeds read this thread: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/an-evolving-approach-to-wildilfe-management.5975/

For what it is worth, I'm in central VA zone 7, so depending where you are in VA, much of what I do may work for you.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm in central VA also. Thanks so much for the advise

I agreed with the other guys, you shouldn't have an issue in a fall plot. If the grasses get to bad this spring hit it with some Section or another grass killer and check that off your list of things to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk