Grass problem with thrown n spray

tbarile

5 year old buck +
I have a very successfully 4 acre plot that’s been divided 1/2 with perennial clover and the other half brassicas via throw n mow/spray. Last year I decided to rotate as the brassicas have been in the same portion for 3 years and the clover side was getting overtaken with grass. I did everything like I usually do - spread seed, spray, mow a week later. This led to very few brassica coming up and mostly grass. I decided to burn everything down again and spread brassica, again very little came up as it was overtaken with grass. Why am I doing wrong on this side of thee plot?

What are you spraying with and are you sure it’s grass and not a sedge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spraying with round up. It burns it down quickly but then a new batch regrows fairly soon after. I’m not positive it’s a grass VS sedge

If it’s a sedge, roundup will probably just burn the top growth. If it’s grass roundup should nuke it. What concentration of roundup are you using? Have you added AMS?

Look at this link for a discussion of sedges vs grasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t recall what concentration was using, may have been around 4%. Or was enough to kill of everything else I sprayed.

I did not add AMS

You need to know if it's grass or not. If it's a sedge your roundup will likely just top kill it and you'll need additional herbicide.

I don’t recall what concentration was using, may have been around 4%. Or was enough to kill of everything else I sprayed.

I did not add AMS
Use 2 quarts roundup and acre with ams and a surfactant.

You just need to deplete the seed bank. Two options.

Leave fallow. Spray monthly through summer, and then plant your fall plots.

Or. Plant RR crop. Lots of options now. Soybeans is the classic, but there is alfalfa and others. Then spray monthly through summer then plant your fall crops.

I like the Liberty system too. Crops that tolerate gly and glufosinate herbicides. Will kill anything. Again plant and spray monthly (lots of specific schedules for this system) then plant fall crops.

Here is a pic. I’ve looked up pics of sedge and still don’t know….

Attachments

• EE25C99C-3053-4AA9-B785-724A974A21B4.jpeg
    EE25C99C-3053-4AA9-B785-724A974A21B4.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 18
  • A99112CF-20F0-40B1-A786-0515FD8E88E2.jpeg
    A99112CF-20F0-40B1-A786-0515FD8E88E2.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 18
Looks like fescue/quack grass . Needs many rounds of spraying, and a more systemic herbicide than gly.

I would keep in fallow a year. Spray it, waif 6 weeks, spray again. Then do deep tillage. Spray again after it re-emerges.

Lots of Google articles on it.

Mace sedge is more noticeably corrugated / striped. Yellow nutsedge is less wavy vs/ a flat blade of grass. Way better way of ID sedges is seed heads. Another good way to ID sedge is to dig up the roots. They survive roundup because of tubers. They have a storage system in their roots to regrow a new leaf system. They kinda look like chick peas attached by strings. Similar to the way chufa works.

I have that problem at camp up north. The stuff literally grows everywhere. It will be a hard fight. I have a jug of basagran I am going to try There is foodplot specifc sedge treatments too.

A combination of several sprays might take care of it. A sedge specific treatment early season, followed by a roundup spray a week later, maybe add 2,4D. Then some sort of summer weed choking plant. I believe you could add a treatment of basgran to a rye plot without damaging it much. Spraying the sedge treatment and discing up the tubers to expose and dry them has been helpful to some folks too.

I got one spot with very rich soil vs other spots up at camp. In the summer it grows 4-5ft tall goldenrod. I have been leaving it alone, in the fall it makes a nice dense clover plot after I mow it in august. Im afraid the sedge will come in if I kill the goldenrod. I did put rye in there in august I wont be back at camp until june, nursing a torn bicep ligament.

One potential issue you may have is excessive residual thatch. Some thatch can over the seed. Too much old thatch can prevent seed to oil contact. Some seeds like rye can successfully start, or some seeds like clover are so small fitting in the cracks.

Here is a pic. I’ve looked up pics of sedge and still don’t know….
Definitely a grass, so you don't need to worry about expensive sedge specific herbicides.

Buckwheat cover crop with a fall planting on each half? The buckwheat should help use up any excessive nitrogen in the soil and keep weeds at bay. I think I would let the grass get about 10" tall before spraying sou your buckwheat ( or whatever you choose ) has a little thatch to cover it up. Wait to plant until the soil is quite warm ( 65- 70 degrees ) so your cover crop grows fast and has a chance to out compete the "weeds"

Buckwheat cover crop with a fall planting on each half? The buckwheat should help use up any excessive nitrogen in the soil and keep weeds at bay. I think I would let the grass get about 10" tall before spraying sou your buckwheat ( or whatever you choose ) has a little thatch to cover it up. Wait to plant until the soil is quite warm ( 65- 70 degrees ) so your cover crop grows fast and has a chance to out compete the "weeds"

Isn’t it good to have Nitrogen in the soil for the brassicas I want to plant in the fall?

Isn’t it good to have Nitrogen in the soil for the brassicas I want to plant in the fall?
That’s what clovers are for. They will have nodules that will release N as they die in late summer for your brassica planting.

He is talking about early nitrogen that just feeds the bad grasses and weeds.

That’s what clovers are for. They will have nodules that will release N as they die in late summer for your brassica planting.

He is talking about early nitrogen that just feeds the bad grasses and weeds.
I plan to leave the 2 acres that’s currently in clover alone for this season and flip it to brassica next year. I want to get the grass into brassica as the grass took over the clover that was there (prior to trying to plant in brassica this past fall)

I plan to leave the 2 acres that’s currently in clover alone for this season and flip it to brassica next year. I want to get the grass into brassica as the grass took over the clover that was there (prior to trying to plant in brassica this past fall)
Can spray Clethodim at 16oz/acre any time grass gets higher than clover. Can do that 3 or so times this summer.

Can spray Clethodim at 16oz/acre any time grass gets higher than clover. Can do that 3 or so times this summer.

Grass isn’t a problem in the half of the plot that’s clover. It’s only a problem in the half that was supposed to be brassica last fall. The grass grew before the brassicas did.

You can use same amount over top of brassica when you plant.