GP/LP 3P600 or 3P606NT user thread

No the tubes aren't plugging. It's the seed delivery system between the double discs. Barely touch that rubber flapper and the stored up seed drops to the ground. GP said that the drill moving and vibration will keep that from happening during planting. I will find out tomorrow!
Awaiting your report......

So I drilled about an acre this evening. The good news is that all the way through to the end, the seed delivery system worked great and there wasn't a single row plugged. Great Plains was right, the vibration and movement of the double discs and flapper kept the seed flowing.
Other good news, the drill when my 3 pt was lowered all the way down sat pretty level, which means the added weight was beneficial!

The bad news, even though the double discs were cutting a little deeper, I'd guess that 50% of the seed didn't get buried. That's a very high percentage of seed and unacceptable amount, IMO. My ground that I was planting had some rye thatch but is generally pretty poor, rocky soil.
The only two things I can think of to improve drill performance are to drill after a rain (hasn't rained here in 3 weeks, soil is definitely crusted) so that the soil is better conditioned OR raise the drive wheel one slot from 7 to 6 in attempt to force the double discs deeper.

Here are a few pics illustrating conditions and drill level.

1/2" cutting depth?
20240913_182839.jpg
An area where it was cutting good and most seed was buried
20240913_182849.jpg
You can see by the stuck soil to the disc that it's getting reasonably deep and there is even some soil moisture(sticking to disc) despite the dry last several weeks.
20240913_182927.jpg
Drill sitting much more level after added weight, which is a good thing. Tractor handled the drill weight with ease, only concern is additional stress the weight could put on the drill.
20240913_184351.jpg

Maybe the worst news of all is they've all but canceled tonight's rain chances...again. 5 days in a row with rain in the forecast starting next Wednesday so hopefully we catch something then.

Hmmmm. You have to have plenty of weight....IMO. Would shortening those springs put more down force on the openers? (and therefore deeper penetration?)

In the last pic above the openers look fairly deep into your soil.

Hmmmm. You have to have plenty of weight....IMO. Would shortening those springs put more down force on the openers? (and therefore deeper penetration?)

In the last pic above the openers look fairly deep into your soil.
I think that's an optical illusion because of the thatch and vegetation from afar. I though shortening the springs put down pressure on the closing wheels, not the openers? I'll have to review the literature.

I think that's an optical illusion because of the thatch and vegetation from afar. I though shortening the springs put down pressure on the closing wheels, not the openers? I'll have to review the literature.
Seems to me increasing the spring force will put much more weight on those openers. The closing wheels (and the front drive wheel) keep the drill from going too deep. I dont have my book at home....but I think the manual says you can adjust the springs to get from 130 lbs to 180 lbs (or something like that). In your case......you now have another 800 lbs divided by the number of openers to apply.......and the spring adjustment is the limiting factor. Shorten those springs to apply more force......and / or adjust those closing wheels to allow deeper penetration by your openers.

Last edited:
Seems to me increasing the spring force will put much more weight on those openers. The closing wheels (and the front drive wheel) keep the drill from going too deep. I dont have my book at home....but I think the manual says you can adjust the springs to get from 130 lbs to 180 lbs (or something like that). In your case......you now have another 800 lbs divided by the number of openers to apply.......and the spring adjustment is the limiting factor. Shorten those springs to apply more force......and / or adjust those closing wheels to allow more down force.
I'll check it out.

Currently have only shortened the springs on the outside four rows to account for wheel compaction from tractor tires (per the manual).

From the Manual:

Opener Springs
Opener springs provide the down pressure necessary for opener discs to open a seed trench. The springs allow the openers to float down into depressions and up over obstructions.
Each opener spring can be adjusted for down pressure. This is useful when planting in tractor tire tracks.
If coulter depth is altered for a row, the spring pre-compression needs to be changed to compensate for the change in row unit operating height.
To adjust the pressure, remove “W” clip at bottom of spring. Place “W” clip in a higher hole in spring rod for more pressure or in a lower hole for less pressure
and...

HEAVY-DUTY COIL SPRINGS​

Offer a range of 90 to 180 lbs. of consistent down pressure on openers.
page28image322858224

page28image322859696 page28image322860000 page28image322860304 page28image322861888 page28image322862720

Attachments

• 1726280399979.png
    1726280399979.png
    192 bytes · Views: 3
From the Manual:

Opener Springs
Opener springs provide the down pressure necessary for opener discs to open a seed trench. The springs allow the openers to float down into depressions and up over obstructions.
Each opener spring can be adjusted for down pressure. This is useful when planting in tractor tire tracks.
If coulter depth is altered for a row, the spring pre-compression needs to be changed to compensate for the change in row unit operating height.
To adjust the pressure, remove “W” clip at bottom of spring. Place “W” clip in a higher hole in spring rod for more pressure or in a lower hole for less pressure
and...

HEAVY-DUTY COIL SPRINGS​

Offer a range of 90 to 180 lbs. of consistent down pressure on openers.
View attachment 68371

View attachment 68372 View attachment 68373 View attachment 68374 View attachment 68375 View attachment 68376
I've read that before and wonder what they mean by "coulter" when there are no coulters.

Look at it this way.......If you did not have any springs......(almost) the entire drill weight would be carried by that front drive wheel and your press wheels. Only the weight of the opener units would supply force to the openers. Three things to do: (after adding enough ballast)

1. Increase spring force to get more opener penetration.
2. Raise the press wheels to allow the openers to go deeper (before the press wheels limit the opener depth).
3. Raise the drive wheel to allow the openers to penetrate deeper.

I've read that before and wonder what they mean by "coulter" when there are no coulters.
IMO....They are interchanging the word "Coulters" with the double disk openers.....which are essentially a pair of smooth Coulters too.

Also, they may have just used boiler plate language for their minimum till and no till manuals. I've seen that multiple times. Their manuals are not well written IMO.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don’t think stiffer spring settings will get the openers deeper. They help allocate more downforce to certain rows if just a couple have stiffer settings but if you set them all that way I think it will result in the higher ground getting deeper and lower ground rows planted shallower the way I understand it.

I don’t think stiffer spring settings will get the openers deeper. They help allocate more downforce to certain rows if just a couple have stiffer settings but if you set them all that way I think it will result in the higher ground getting deeper and lower ground rows planted shallower the way I understand it.
That's the way that I interpret the manual as well.

That's the way that I interpret the manual as well.

"HEAVY-DUTY COIL SPRINGS​

Offer a range of 90 to 180 lbs. of consistent down pressure on openers."
page28image322858224

You can't save 'em all. 🙄<--- moves to neutral corner.

lol just yanking your chain. try adjusting the closing wheels higher.

90-180# is spring pre-load. Actual down pressure is determined by weight of the drill and how much weight is on drive wheel.

"HEAVY-DUTY COIL SPRINGS​

Offer a range of 90 to 180 lbs. of consistent down pressure on openers."
page28image322858224

You can't save 'em all. 🙄<--- moves to neutral corner.
It seems to me that 180 lbs of consistent down pressure would be better than 90 lbs.......NO?

Any update on further efforts?

It seems to me that 180 lbs of consistent down pressure would be better than 90 lbs.......NO?

Any update on further efforts?
If you have 180# of weight per row, you get 180# of down pressure. The difference with higher spring preload is when one row unit is running over higher ground it will compress the spring less and thus take more down pressure off other rows.

When I stiffen the suspension on all 4 corners of my ATV, it doesn’t create more “down pressure” on all 4 wheels.

If you have 180# of weight per row, you get 180# of down pressure. The difference with higher spring preload is when one row unit is running over higher ground it will compress the spring less and thus take more down pressure off other rows.

When I stiffen the suspension on all 4 corners of my ATV, it doesn’t create more “down pressure” on all 4 wheels.
There you go being all smart. Ha