GP/LP 3P600 or 3P606NT user thread

Last edited:
Those are very heavy weights. Only need one on each side with those. I'd consider a couple of 1/2" bolts to carry those big weights. Anxious to see your work.

Not sure I agree on just one weight if he’s got more and the tractor handles the weight. From my reading, ag drills frequently want 500+ lb per row unit. You’d have to add almost 3000# to a 3p600 to get there which would triple the weight of the drill. We’re not farmers and I’m not pretending that’s necessary but I THINK performance of these drills would only go up until they weighed too much for our L60s and MX kubotas to handle.

Oooh! I like and I want. Nice work!
Yowsir!!! Hope you can pick it up.....and not pull it apart. Must be adding 800 to 1000 lbs here? That suckers gonna go deep now. Nice brackets tho....lol.

Whatcha gonna plant first? Oil wells?? Grin.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree on just one weight if he’s got more and the tractor handles the weight. From my reading, ag drills frequently want 500+ lb per row unit. You’d have to add almost 3000# to a 3p600 to get there which would triple the weight of the drill. We’re not farmers and I’m not pretending that’s necessary but I THINK performance of these drills would only go up until they weighed too much for our L60s and MX kubotas to handle.
Yeah....maybe. But you have to understand that these products are built with certain weights and materials to handle those specifications. When you go "overboard" you may test the design limits. I think he is approaching this level considering the weight added here. But what do I know? (I only hold 25 mechanical patents....grin). May work like a charm. It's not my drill.

Not sure on the amount of weight added....or how much weight is added per row unit. I suppose this will add over 100 lbs per row? Carry on! Results talk!!!

Last edited:
Both sides are done now
20240903_210150.jpg

Thanks for the concern on the weight, I believe it is important for these tractors to not be crazy over worked. Fully loaded, my tractor still lifted the drill with ease.
20240903_212008.jpg

Yeah....maybe. But you have to understand that these products are built with certain weights and materials to handle those specifications. When you go "overboard" you may test the design limits. I think he is approaching this level considering the weight added here. But what do I know? (I only hold 25 mechanical patents....grin). May work like a charm. It's not my drill.

Not sure on the amount of weight added....or how much weight is added per row unit. I suppose this will add over 100 lbs per row? Carry on!
All valid concerns and I'll take it under advisement. Easy to start low on weight and increase as necessary if the conditions aren't ideal.

^ Yep....keep in mind that 6 bushels of seed at 60 lbs / bu is gonna add some weight too. Easy to. take some off.....no big deal. You likely will be happy with your set up. Congrats on getting it done.

^ Yep....keep in mind that 6 bushels of seed at 60 lbs / bu is gonna add some weight too. Easy to. take some off.....no big deal. You likely will be happy with your set up. Congrats on getting it done.
Thanks for the idea! I'm very happy with how it turned out. Need to get some GP green paint and get them painted up to match.

Thanks for the idea! I'm very happy with how it turned out. Need to get some GP green paint and get them painted up to match.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Not sure on the amount of weight added....or how much weight is added per row unit. I suppose this will add over 100 lbs per row? Carry on! Results talk!!!
I’m curious what the weight total @Brian662 has as well. You make a fair point but the openers and some other parts are quite a bit more beefy than the ones on the genesis drills and the heavy version 5’er used to be pushing 2,600# with one less row to spread it across. That’s like 1000# more than a 3p600. There’s this which may very well not be applicable due to the weight brackets not being applicable to the min-til:

BA8C78BD-22F8-470D-A984-66F42E5A6955.png

I dropped out of my mechanical engineering major and hold zero mechanical patents, but I’d send it!

What do you guys think a fab shop would charge to do something like this for some rube who doesn’t know how to weld?

Last edited:
I’m curious what the weight total @Brian662 has as well. You make a fair point but the openers and some other parts are quite a bit more beefy than the ones on the genesis drills and the heavy version 5’er used to be pushing 2,600# with one less row to spread it across. That’s like 1000# more than a 3p600. There’s this which may very well not be applicable due to the weight brackets not being applicable to the min-til:

View attachment 67993

I dropped out of my mechanical engineering major and hold zero mechanical patents, but I’d send it!

What do you guys think a fab shop would charge to do something like this for some rube who doesn’t know how to weld?
Bring the drill to SE MN and my fab shop(me) can do it for a few cases of beer and I'll show you around my properties. Or... get the drill as close as possible and my fab shop can travel for a few extra cases of beer but no tour.

Otherwise, I'm guessing $500-$1000 from a local fab shop.

View attachment 67993

Also, I will measure those weights to see exactly how much eight of them weigh. My FIL gave them to me and he couldn't remember the weight so I'll just weigh them.

Between the weights and a half full/mostly full box of seed, I could see close to and extra 100# per row on my drill. I'm excited to see the results tomorrow but I need to mix the seed, calibrate, and drill with limited daylight after I get home from work.

I hope to give it a shot this evening, some spotty showers in the forecast for tomorrow.
How hard is it to lift those weights? I'd guess they are at least 100 lbs each....based on the smaller 70# ones I have.

Gypsy....if you go this route.....make sure you find your weights before having the brackets made so the can custom fit the brackets to the weights. There are different styles of weights. Also, if there is a welding shop with a brake.....you could bolt-on the weight brackets as shown in the drawings above. I think you could get the brackets bent for maybe $100 to $200 (??). I got a shop in Brainerd.....and I may ask him for a price. I'd likely add one or two of my 70's per side when used in hard sod situations. I'd do the bolt-on method.

One other thing is.....there are no factory weight brackets available for the 3P600 as stated in the manual. No place to mount them without the front Coulter bar found on their no-till models.

I talked to GP regarding the weight. He said the frame on the 3P600 is slightly less "beefy" than the frames on the 3P606NT which they recommend a maximum of 300# of additional weights on those brackets per side so 600# per drill.

Take that information for what it's worth.

He also said the component(s) most likely to fail under extreme weight in his opinion would be the tension springs.

After talking to him and weighing my individual weights, I'm going to go with 250# or less per side of the drill to play it safe. Thought I would share that info for others considering doing the same.
Between the 500# added and a few hundred pounds of seed, I think/hope it will perform better for me.

Last edited:
Also found this field adjustment guide while on their website.
Screenshot_20240904_111003_Samsung Notes.jpg

Clearly states here on page 2 that you can add weight to the drill to penetrative hard soil. It also references coulters which this drill does not have, so take that with a grain of salt.
Screenshot_20240904_111016_Samsung Notes.jpg

I talked to GP regarding the weight. He said the frame on the 3P600 is slightly less "beefy" than the frames on the 3P606NT which they recommend a maximum of 300# of additional weights on those brackets per side so 600# per drill.

Take that information for what it's worth.

He also said the component(s) most likely to fail under extreme weight in his opinion would be the tension springs.

After talking to him and weighing my individual weights, I'm going to go with 250# or less per side of the drill to play if safe. Thought I would share that info for others considering doing the same.
Between the 500# added and a few hundred pounds of seed, I think/hope it will perform better for me.

Yeah, ive seen the rods that run inside the tension springs get bent to shit on great plains drills that have been on my jobsites. I could see that being the delicate part. Id think if not going too fast or turning hard they'd hold up well unless that bar is hitting your gears like @Foggy47's, more weight isn't going to help that situation!

Gypsy....if you go this route.....make sure you find your weights before having the brackets made so the can custom fit the brackets to the weights. There are different styles of weights. Also, if there is a welding shop with a brake.....you could bolt-on the weight brackets as shown in the drawings above.

You read my mind. The bar for hanging weights on my esch was too thick for the suitcase weights I have and I had a heck of a time looking for some to fit it. Would want to have weights before to make sure the hangers fit them well. I also wonder if a guy couldn't just make a simple T sticking out to only weld in one spot per hanger? The "stem" of the T would just need to be long enough to fit the width of a weight.

Does anyone have experience with radish or hairy vetch through the small seed box or should I mix it with the other seeds in the large box?

Does anyone have experience with radish or hairy vetch through the small seed box or should I mix it with the other seeds in the large box?

Radish worked fine in small box for me. That's where I always ran them in my esch too which has similar small seed metering.