GP/LP 3P600 or 3P606NT user thread

Brian662

5 year old buck +
It seems as though there are some expert users here and many who are about to venture into using these drills (myself included). I thought it would be a good thing to get all of the information from calibration to mods stored up on one thread. My drill is suppose to arrive this winter, can't wait to learn the drill and share any knowledge with those interested!

Did you get the 6 or 7.5” spacing?

Broken bear just reminded me of a mistake I've made a few times. When emptying the drill of seed I vacuum it out with a shop vac and then open the seed cup size all the way so the remaining seed just spills out.

Note to self.....put them back when your done or next time you load seed it will dump right out...

Broken bear just reminded me of a mistake I've made a few times. When emptying the drill of seed I vacuum it out with a shop vac and then open the seed cup size all the way so the remaining seed just spills out.

Note to self.....put them back when your done or next time you load seed it will dump right out...
I have a tendency to do that same thing when loading my solo broadcast spreader...haha.

^ BT/DT. Frustrating. I have a calibration sheet that I have posted elsewhere. I'm going to start a new thread "snake-bit" on my issues with calibrating.....I'm having issues.

Got past my calibration issues today and I'm relieved to have a solution to a slow start with my drill. I now am using the method used by Great Plains....except for one big change. I did take those hoses off three of the main seed box drops and used some coffee cans to catch the seeds for my calibration. NEVER AGAIN. I hate re-attaching those drop hoses.....they take way more time than it's worth. Instead.....I used a shallow plastic tray for both the small and large seed boxes. Simply put the tray under three of the coulters you want to calibrate with. Nothing to reconnect this way. The pics below are for the small seed box and show the calibration results of seed to collect and weight in a smaller cup. I build a small "dam" in the hopper using some duct tape to contain the seed in the area of the three drops. Then calculate results as in the book. I did spill some rye on the floor (my bad).
tempImagevf2e65.jpg
Edit.....I do lower the drill close to the floor of the plastic pan......to reduce the seeds from bouncing out of the pan.. No issues when done that way.

Last edited:
Today was the first time I got to use my design of a second walk board / step. Worked better than expected. Now it's easy to jump up on the drill to load seeds or to check on the hoppers.....and I dont have to carry a ladder on the drill.....lol. tempImage9JFPWG.jpg
Also used my foam markers today for the first time since putting them on this drill. It was far easier to drive when you have a clearly marked trail of where you have been on the preceding trip across the field. It takes about 2 oz of foam concentrate to a gallon of water. This will last for about 1 acre of continuous use. I have a 2 1/2 gallon tank on my marker tank.....which should be about right for a drill full of seed. I plug mine into the accessory outlet and operate with a switch in the cab. Can reduce the sound of foam used if you use it part time.....but I did want to see how far a tank would go. Far easier to drive when you are not searching for where you need to be.

When drilling seed I leave a blob about every 8 to 10 feet at about 3 mph.

Couple more pics below of the foam marker mount and the move on the Great Plains L-bracket location.....and grate material added to the L-brackets. <----that is a big deal for me......too hard to jump up on the drill to look in the box for these old bones.
tempImagebvqX0w.jpgtempImagek6GMlp.jpg

Last edited:
One last pic from today.....which is a bit sketchy on the pic quality.......is a pic using my bright little LED flashlight to look at seeds that are deposited between the double disk openers. Really helpful to have one of those bright focussed beams to see down in the seed trench and see what seeds your drilling into the ground. A few inches later and they are all covered up and almost impossible to see what you are doing. Works slick....try it!
tempImagemsDAQr.jpg

Great mods Foggy, very impressed! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
I have to add a second walk board. That's nice.

I have to add a second walk board. That's nice.
Was pretty easy to do as well. I think I paid $50 or so for the(used) galvanized grate material cut to size....and it seems strong enough for my drill. Not sure if it would span another foot or two tho......so I may want a bit deeper bars for a six footer. I've been careful to not hold 50 lb pails of seed and jump up and down on that board I got.....it may hold.....but I don't know what it is rated for. Likely the most valuable mod on this drill for me. I used some u-bolts off an old boat hoist to attach the grate to the re-located L-brackets.

It looks like it wouldn't be too tough to weld another drop in the center of that grating to reinforce if you came down from the original step.

It looks like it wouldn't be too tough to weld another drop in the center of that grating to reinforce if you came down from the original step.
Maybe....but I think the only thing to attach to would be the walk board furnished by GP / LP. That is not very heavy gauge steel like the side rails are. May take another look to see if there is a do-able location. Great Plains is able to span this area with a deeper step made from light gauge (10 gauge?) steel. I think their walk board is substantially stronger than mine......but that bar grate material I used may be quite strong? Dunno.....mine works fine. Another 1/2" deeper grate material would be preferred on a six wide drill (or a center support). In a small town....you gotta go with what you find.....lol.

Today was the first time I got to use my design of a second walk board / step. Worked better than expected. Now it's easy to jump up on the drill to load seeds or to check on the hoppers.....and I dont have to carry a ladder on the drill.....lol. View attachment 56618
Also used my foam markers today for the first time since putting them on this drill. It was far easier to drive when you have a clearly marked trail of where you have been on the preceding trip across the field. It takes about 2 oz of foam concentrate to a gallon of water. This will last for about 1 acre of continuous use. I have a 2 1/2 gallon tank on my marker tank.....which should be about right for a drill full of seed. I plug mine into the accessory outlet and operate with a switch in the cab. Can reduce the sound of foam used if you use it part time.....but I did want to see how far a tank would go. Far easier to drive when you are not searching for where you need to be.

When drilling seed I leave a blob about every 8 to 10 feet at about 3 mph.

Couple more pics below of the foam marker mount and the move on the Great Plains L-bracket location.....and grate material added to the L-brackets. <----that is a big deal for me......too hard to jump up on the drill to look in the box for these old bones.
View attachment 56621View attachment 56622
You’re so handy Foggy. Great mods my friend.

^ When your retired.....possess a bit of mechanical ability....and enjoy this stuff....it becomes fun stuff to do. A drill is a bit of a new toy for me. Grin.

Is a Kubota MX 5400 tractor .....enough tractor to handle a 36606NT? Asking for a friend on here. He claims It has a lift capacity of 2600 lbs at 24" behind the pins. May be on the bubble? He is on the fence between a 3P600 and a 3P606NT and has sandy soils. Not sure what to think here. Wants a small seed box with either....and I think weight is only concern.

But....may also need category 2?

Advice?

The MX5400 is only rated for #2310 @ 24" behind the pins and weighs basically the same as our L3560s. By specs, the only things that would help it handle a drill any better than our L60s is that it is slightly longer and wider and they can be equipped with a larger loader which should put a little more weight up front. The thing with 3p606s is they are LONG, extending way past 24" behind the pins.

The MX5400 is only rated for #2310 @ 24" behind the pins and weighs basically the same as our L3560s. By specs, the only things that would help it handle a drill any better than our L60s is that it is slightly longer and wider and they can be equipped with a larger loader which should put a little more weight up front. The thing with 3p606s is they are LONG, extending way past 24" behind the pins.
Yes they are longer....but if you measure the average I think more of the weight is carried in front of that "24" behind the pins".

There is a video of some guys in Wisconsin that have an MX5800 (same specs) and it seems to work "ok" for them. I think it's at the limit....but do-able. I suppose a person could shim the hydraulics a little bit. I'm sure the tractor(s) would pull it....especially in lighter soils. I was "close" to trying one with my L3560HSTC (fluid and heavy duty loader).....but decided I did not need the coolers and extra size here. I do not need this drill....but I would like to hook onto one to see how it works.

Last edited: