GP/LP 3P600 or 3P606NT user thread

Yes they are longer....but if you measure the average I think more of the weight is carried in front of that "24" behind the pins". I found some of the old ratings (at the pins) where the capacity was a few hundred lbs more. (check out a L3540 for example)

There is a video of some guys in Wisconsin that have an MX5800 (same specs) and it seems to work "ok" for them. I think it's at the limit....but do-able. I suppose a person could shim the hydraulics a little bit. I'm sure the tractor(s) would pull it....especially in lighter soils. I was "close" to trying one with my L3560HSTC (fluid and heavy duty loader).....but decided I did not need the coolers and extra size here. I do not need this drill....but I would like to hook onto one to see how it works.

One last pic from today.....which is a bit sketchy on the pic quality.......is a pic using my bright little LED flashlight to look at seeds that are deposited between the double disk openers. Really helpful to have one of those bright focussed beams to see down in the seed trench and see what seeds your drilling into the ground. A few inches later and they are all covered up and almost impossible to see what you are doing. Works slick....try it!
View attachment 56633

Do you have the seed firmers between any of your openers? That was a feature of the 3p500 that appealed to me.

pic from great plains website for reference
00-Opener.png

^ yes I do. I think those are the same on the 3P600 too. Seem to work well from what I can see. If you look closely at the pic you can see them between the blades. The blades are thinner (easier to penetrate) on a GP / LP as opposed to a Genesis drill. Also better quality than the G drills (I think). Heard some complaints about G drills and nicked blades....maybe the new model has solved this? They did make some changes to the blades.

Is a Kubota MX 5400 tractor .....enough tractor to handle a 36606NT? Asking for a friend on here. He claims It has a lift capacity of 2600 lbs at 24" behind the pins. May be on the bubble? He is on the fence between a 3P600 and a 3P606NT and has sandy soils. Not sure what to think here. Wants a small seed box with either....and I think weight is only concern.

But....may also need category 2?

Advice?
I agree with Wind. Could it do it. Maybe. But would be a lot of weight back there.

I would say get the hydraulic one on tires pull behind, or the plain 3p600

Do you have the seed firmers between any of your openers? That was a feature of the 3p500 that appealed to me.

pic from great plains website for reference
View attachment 56646
So those are rubber seed presses. They work well. I have bought the actual Keeton seed firmers but haven’t installed yet. The flaps are kind of like mud flaps on a truck. The seed firmers are hard plastic that are much more “firm.” They also have a small hose in them that you two hand men could connect to a liquid fertilizer pump and do in trench fertilization.

So those are rubber seed presses. They work well. I have bought the actual Keeton seed firmers but haven’t installed yet. The flaps are kind of like mud flaps on a truck. The seed firmers are hard plastic that are much more “firm.” They also have a small hose in them that you two hand men could connect to a liquid fertilizer pump and do in trench fertilization.
Nice....but doing that is way above my pay grade....lol. That may be pretty slick to put the fertilizer down tho? Wonder what happens if you in a drought tho (like now for me). I suppose you dont have to put any fertilizer down and still get the benefit of a bigger seed firmer. The set up furnished by GP does really a good job of getting the seeds to the bottom of the trench. Far better than my old tar river (hands-down a better seed delivery set up). If I was a bigger scale farmer I can see investing in this. Alas.....I'm already in over my head....lol.

You can use it without the fertilizer and it will def get seeds in the trench better.

And, I agree that mine does it great now without them. Ha.

I think setup for in trench liquid would look alot like your foam marker setup.

How difficult are those Keaton's to install? I imagine you need to take one blade off and do some wrenching.

^ When your retired.....possess a bit of mechanical ability....and enjoy this stuff....it becomes fun stuff to do. A drill is a bit of a new toy for me. Grin.
I echo the others

great tips

bill

Yes they are longer....but if you measure the average I think more of the weight is carried in front of that "24" behind the pins".

There is a video of some guys in Wisconsin that have an MX5800 (same specs) and it seems to work "ok" for them. I think it's at the limit....but do-able. I suppose a person could shim the hydraulics a little bit. I'm sure the tractor(s) would pull it....especially in lighter soils. I was "close" to trying one with my L3560HSTC (fluid and heavy duty loader).....but decided I did not need the coolers and extra size here. I do not need this drill....but I would like to hook onto one to see how it works.

That dude traded his 606 for a genesis 5 with coulters he says because the wavy coulters buried his residue. Doesn’t seem like he has done much research on this stuff. Doesn’t seem to be aware that the wavy coulters are an option.

That dude traded his 606 for a genesis 5 with coulters he says because the wavy coulters buried his residue. Doesn’t seem like he has done much research on this stuff. Doesn’t seem to be aware that the wavy coulters are an option.
I continue to say, unless you are a for-profit farmer that is planting in to corn residue, the front Coulters hurt you more than help you.

Last edited:
I continue to say, unless you are a for-profit farmer that is planting in to corn residue, the front Coulters hurt you more than help you.
I read this very interesting article on no till planting implements recently. https://www.exapta.com/working-knowledge/guide-to-no-till-seeding/

My takeaway was that the closing wheels used on most of the drills we use for food plots may not be ideal compared to some options used on large ag drills and planters and the tillage from coulters helps make a seedbed and furrow that is more easily closed by these closing wheels. In lighter soils that may not be a big deal. Looking forward to having first hand knowledge on this once I plant with the 3p600 next year and compare to how the esch with wavy coulters works.

An excerpt from the article:
69274FDC-240E-4682-A9D3-F7FE3BC58240.png

Again wind, that is for moving heavy residue like corn stalks. I just haven’t found it to be an issue.

And, you’ll get to make your own opinion soon enough!

For food plotting you can also adjust your planting schedule. Don’t plant when it hasn’t rained for months. Let the first rain soften the soil, then plant a couple of days after. With drill you don’t have to get a rain right after. Planting into moist soil works great (not water logged). Also, seeds are protected in ground so can rain next day or weeks later with same result.

Again wind, that is for moving heavy residue like corn stalks. I just haven’t found it to be an issue.

And, you’ll get to make your own opinion soon enough!
I’m focusing more on the soil fluffing functions discussed than the residue management.

Edit to add: I could see how nitpicking the closing system isn’t much of a concern when it comes to plot’s though. Even with a little tillage from wavy coulters I didn’t get some furrows closed well last year but that was not an issue this year with a little weight added to the drill.

Last edited:
Found a 9 year old but unused 3p600 listed for a price i couldn't resist yesterday and jumped on it.

It doesn't have seed agitators in the main box. What says the brain trust on value of adding them? Doesn't seem like something I'd need.

Also, i've seen Great plains/land pride mention adding weight in their literature for these drills but cant find anywhere that lists the actual weight brackets as add ons. I wonder if that is just generic language from all their compact drill line and based on what's available for the NT versions.

Found a 9 year old but unused 3p600 listed for a price i couldn't resist yesterday and jumped on it.

It doesn't have seed agitators in the main box. What says the brain trust on value of adding them? Doesn't seem like something I'd need.

Also, i've seen Great plains/land pride mention adding weight in their literature for these drills but cant find anywhere that lists the actual weight brackets as add ons. I wonder if that is just generic language from all their compact drill line and based on what's available for the NT versions.

I don't think any of the GP drills have agitators, except in the native grass boxes on drills with it. Have fun...

Yeah....I think he may have snookered himself on that trade. Not sure he is on the right page.

Did I miss it, have you given up on the Esch drill? Just trying something different? Either way, congrats on the new unit!