Good Year for Pears

Maybe??

I need to check my old records, but I had two pear trees and cut one down. They were from Bailey’s who is probably the supplier for Gilby’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost all mine to frost

I planted three pears 25 years ago at my mothers zone 3 home. One of them is still alive and blooms regularly but has no cross pollination so it doesn’t set fruit. I for the life of me can’t remember the verities I planted back then and that was way before I wrote that sort of thing down so there is at least one verity that can and will grow that far north I just can’t say what it is with any certainty. I do think with some certainty that I ordered them from Gurneys or Jung’s because that’s where I ordered everything from back then.

I also have planted pears in MN, near Fergus Falls, and have had similar mixed experience. I planted a few varieties 3 years ago and the ones I have remaining are Ure, Early Gold, Patten, and a hybrid from Morse Nursery. I lost some this winter including Parker, Luscious, and a Keiffer. I have had pears on my Ure but only the second year. I am not fully throwing in the towel, but am doing similar to Sandbur and starting to pivot more toward apple-crabs and the like. Still hoping the pear trees I have remaining can stick around and at some point set some more fruit, but I am tempering my expectations accordingly.

That's a lot of pears Native! I was quite surprised to see our pear trees produce fruit this year as I was sure late frosts had taken them out. Even our Orient pear trees have fruit on them which is the first time since planting in 2013. Kieffers are loaded.
Went down to the farm last weekend. Pear trees have cast most all their fruit. After 11 years, I've given up on the idea that I would one day be able to bowhunt overlooking one of my pears. Native persimmons are loaded as usual.

Native, I always admire your fruit tree production. For reasons I'm not sure of, I just can't make it happen on my place.

Won't need my picking pole to pick these. But when they start ripening, the deer will pick them before me.

TYYh9VG.jpg