Good news - bad news?

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
IMG_2309.jpegIMG_2308.jpegGood news - 7 of my 13 pear trees have blossoms this year. Two years ago we had our first two pears. Last year a couple trees had fruit but less than twenty total pears.

Bad news - low temps the next two nights are around 27 degrees. I’m hopeful we don’t get a hard freeze but it seems like early bloom followed by a hard frost has hit us for the third year in a row.

^^^^^^^^check those blooms.......

.............and all Native has to do is wave his hand

bill

No blooms yet here, but any tree that was fall transplanted or had it root system disturbed woke up. Got the little red leaf tips. Thinking the looser soil warms up quicker. I had a big row of kerr in my nursery and left one there permanently, its the best looking bud break so far.

I have a pristine that needed to move back about 12 feet to make room for a solar pool heater. Bloom gorup 3 and it's starting to bud.

Wondering if a thick wide layer of mulch, or even watering during a drier spring will slow bud progression somewhat. Thinking of experiments I can do with multiples of the same tree, I'm doing pruning tests on Galarina. Might do a big mulch circle vs regular circle on Liberty. 12ft diameter vs 3ft. Wondering if leaving grass somewhat tall around the tree shades the soil a bit. Sun and soil type is way to variable up at camp to do comparisons there.

Yea Mother Nature can be a cruel bitch sometimes!

Any worries planting those trees I picked up if the low tonight is 20? Should I keep them in the shop one more night? I’d rather plant them today, but I’d also rather not have them all freeze to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any worries planting those trees I picked up if the low tonight is 20? Should I keep them in the shop one more night? I’d rather plant them today, but I’d also rather not have them all freeze to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They will be fine. Good to meet you in person today. We need to have a Habitat-Talk BBQ one of these Summers with everyone on here from at least the KS area. Anyone else close enough to make the drive would be welcome as well!

28 forecast here in a couple nights. Dime sized pears, baby peaches, bb size plums and apple trees blooming. Lost everything last year but the apples. I did lose two AR black apple trees last year in the heat and drought. If the freeze gets them this year, it will make 4 yrs in a row

They have lowered the temp prediction to 25. If that happens, everything will be lost. Fruit trees are the devil

They are giving 22 for us tonight. That will get our pears, but I have a few varieties of apples/crabaples that are still semi dormant and might still have a chance. Spring freezes like this are where persimmons really shine. They haven't even thought about waking up yet.

Got down to 18 last night and a water bottle in my wife's car froze solid! Supposed to warm up to 70 tomorrow and then snow next weekend. 10 persimmon trees coming this week, so hopefully that will help at some point in the future.

Supposed to get down to 25 here. The pears are dime size, there are small peaches. BB size plums and crab apples. Most of the regular apples in full bloom. Muscadines have buds but no leaves as do the persimmons. Blackberries are just about to burst into bloom. I chose the blackberries to try and save and covered the 75 ft row with black plastic. Hopefully, the forecast is wrong - typically, the forecast tends to error toward the more severe side

We are suppose to get 14+ inches of snow from Thursday to Tuesday. That is about triple of what we had all winter.

The temps are suppose to be close to single digits, but my trees haven’t thought about blooming yet.

We are suppose to get 14+ inches of snow from Thursday to Tuesday. That is about triple of what we had all winter.

The temps are suppose to be close to single digits, but my trees haven’t thought about blooming yet.
We have had a slow warm up and the snow is melting. I might be able to get a few trees in the ground this week, if all of the frost is out.

We have had a slow warm up and the snow is melting. I might be able to get a few trees in the ground this week, if all of the frost is out.
Wow.... I grew up in NJ , while I miss my Ice Fishing I don't miss the cold weather !, mowed the lawn Friday for the first time this year. It's supposed to be 79 here today in VA (unusually warm) the rest of the week will be in the 50's and 60's , and for the month it shows one low of 34 and another 36. So it Looks like I'm on track to have my first good crop of pears ever ....typically a late frost kills most of them.

Wow.... I grew up in NJ , while I miss my Ice Fishing I don't miss the cold weather !, mowed the lawn Friday for the first time this year. It's supposed to be 79 here today in VA (unusually warm) the rest of the week will be in the 50's and 60's , and for the month it shows one low of 34 and another 36. So it Looks like I'm on track to have my first good crop of pears ever ....typically a late frost kills most of them.
Our ice fishing was cut 4-5 weeks short this winter. I enjoy winter spearing from a dark house with hand made wooden decoys.

I still have about 6-8 inches, and with the forecast it will probably be next week before I see ground again. But I am ok with that. I have other work to do first.

I still have about 6-8 inches, and with the forecast it will probably be next week before I see ground again. But I am ok with that. I have other work to do first.
Wow !

Our ice fishing was cut 4-5 weeks short this winter. I enjoy winter spearing from a dark house with hand made wooden decoys.
Sounds cool....We just used tip ups with shiners , or did a little jigging