Dr. Deer Pear

White Oak

5 year old buck +
If anyone is interested you can now buy the previously unavailable World famous "Dr Deer Pear" tree in a 2 pack for $95.00 (That includes shipping) . I bought two From Walmart 3-4 years ago and think they were $34-$35 at the time . Wildtree is the new exclusive seller, Last year they were $95 for one tree , and then earlier this year it was only available in something like a deer orchard starter set. I'm assuming Due to many complaints about the price , and only being available in the set....I think they had to give two for the price of one or nobody would buy any lol . My Dr Deer pears had blossoms for the first time last spring, but a late frost got'em . I'll probably watch them another year or two before buying more.

Interesting video on the origins, sounds similar to the story of how we got that God awful Red Delicious.

Considering it was just a grown out rootstock, I wonder if it's just a common clonal variety like OhxF 97 or 87? Could save a hell of a lot of money if it is! Lol

I bought 3 Dr. Deer pears along with 4 Thanksgiving pears in 2019 from Walmart on clearance. They have all been doing great. I picked the pears off in 2020 so the trees could concentrate on establishing themselves. They made a few pears in 2021 and I thought 2022 was going to be the year, but a late freeze had other plans.

I believe that Chestnut Hills was licensing the Dr. Deer pears from Dr. James Kroll who now owns Wildtree. Chestnut Hills is now selling a Trophy Pear that has the exact same characteristics and description of the Dr. Deer pear, but they are probably not allowed to use that name anymore. I haven't seen any Chestnut Hill pears at Walmart since 2019. I wish I would have bought more when they were on clearance and had the opportunity.

I bought 3 Dr. Deer pears along with 4 Thanksgiving pears in 2019 from Walmart on clearance. They have all been doing great. I picked the pears off in 2020 so the trees could concentrate on establishing themselves. They made a few pears in 2021 and I thought 2022 was going to be the year, but a late freeze had other plans.

I believe that Chestnut Hills was licensing the Dr. Deer pears from Dr. James Kroll who now owns Wildtree. Chestnut Hills is now selling a Trophy Pear that has the exact same characteristics and description of the Dr. Deer pear, but they are probably not allowed to use that name anymore. I haven't seen any Chestnut Hill pears at Walmart since 2019. I wish I would have bought more when they were on clearance and had the opportunity.

You got a steal then if you got them on clearance !. Same here I probably also got mine in 2019 , my Walmart only had 2 and I bought them both , yet every year they have dozens of Chestnut hill Chestnuts left over , Walmart needs to stock more pears instead . The Trophy Pear is probably the same exact tree....they are using the same pic from when it was called Dr Deer pear lol.

I bought a Dr Deer pear in 2019 as well. It fruited for the first time for me in 2022. It was still holding pears in mid-december. The pears were small, perhaps the size of ping pong balls or slightly smaller.

I tried one. It was likely a bit past ripe at the time. The pear was soft and flesh was sandy/gritty. It didn't have much taste. I'm sure it'll be a fine wildlife pear though.

When I tried to order they charge you 95.00 each and can only be purchased in 2 packs

For $95 I would expect them to not only deliver it, but plant it, cage it, and water it for the first year. I realize that they are selling larger trees, but that is pricey.

When I tried to order they charge you 95.00 each and can only be purchased in 2 pac
When I tried to order they charge you 95.00 each and can only be purchased in 2 packs
Wow you're 100 % right that's a rip off !!!. On the DR Deer Facebook page they made it sound like they were giving a deal and selling in 2 packs... and it looked to me like it was $95.00 for two trees , when in reality like you say they are still charging $95.00 per tree !. They can keep'em as far as I'm concerned !

For $95 I would expect them to not only deliver it, but plant it, cage it, and water it for the first year. I realize that they are selling larger trees, but that is pricey.
Glad I got mine for $34 or $35 , something like that at Walmart.