Good Year for Pears

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
Except for the pear trees in my frost pocket, this is turning out to be a great year for pears. The pears with the very best crops this year are:

Keiffer (First picture below)
Moonglow (Second picture below)
Ayers (Third picture below)
Senator Clark (Fourth picture below)
Galloway (Forgot to get picture - will take one and post later)

K4YpQdZ.jpg

edbmBH3.jpg

Mp63U9a.jpg

MqF95iy.jpg

Most all varieties look good this year, but I think the ones mentioned about are the best. I planted some Blue Hill pears this spring and they are growing like weeds. I'm anxious to see how they do over the next few years.

Mine are doing well this year also as are my native persimmons pretty heavy with fruit. Seems to be a good year for both.

My backyard pears are also loaded this year. My pear trees up north at my cabin haven’t fruited yet, planted in 16 from SLN. Hopefully some year soon. They definitely have grown a lot tho.

Persimmons are breaking limbs with fruit here too.

I remember you saying you grew Becton. So far, that's been my fastest grower and first to fruit. Good to hear that those varieties are growing well for you, especially Moonglow & Gallaway. I have 3 or 4 of each.

Looking good! Mine froze at both properties this year in PA. 2nd year in a row.

I didn't have a single blossom on any of my pears this year. We had a pretty mild winter too. Not sure what happened.

That's a lot of pears Native! I was quite surprised to see our pear trees produce fruit this year as I was sure late frosts had taken them out. Even our Orient pear trees have fruit on them which is the first time since planting in 2013. Kieffers are loaded.

That's a lot of pears Native! I was quite surprised to see our pear trees produce fruit this year as I was sure late frosts had taken them out. Even our Orient pear trees have fruit on them which is the first time since planting in 2013. Kieffers are loaded.

I have 4 varieties of pears in a frost pocket, and the only one of those to produce this year was Senator Clark. But up on the ridge, everything is loaded.

Looking good! Mine froze at both properties this year in PA. 2nd year in a row.
Also in PA. My grafted pears did poorly , but my wild ones are doing great.

Attachments

• 20220718_194940.jpg
    20220718_194940.jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220718_194915.jpg
    20220718_194915.jpg
    741 KB · Views: 39
Those look great. When my pears have loaded up like those, it has always led to broken branches except for the keiffers after heavy winds.

Thanks for sharing Native.

Those look great. When my pears have loaded up like those, it has always led to broken branches except for the keiffers after heavy winds.

Thanks for sharing Native.

Today the lower limbs on my Moonglow were touching the ground. I pulled off a few of the smaller ones hoping it would help some. But I guess if they are touching the ground that might help to keep them from breaking.

Up here in the north country, I am about ready to give up on pears. I planted two trees years ago. One I cut down about 5-6 years back. The other tree I turned into a franken tree and had about a dozen pears last year. I think I see three pears this year.

Very occasionally I hear of a tree loaded with fruit up here, but not very consistently.

One of my grafted limbs broke off this summer and the heart of the limb looks to be dead. I suspect the trunk is the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLN has a good selection of Russian pears they may do better for you up north. The few trees I’ve planted in zone 3 many years ago where not worth the trouble but some of SLN verities may work out well idk.

SLN has a good selection of Russian pears they may do better for you up north. The few trees I’ve planted in zone 3 many years ago where not worth the trouble but some of SLN verities may work out well idk.

I may have a few of sln’s selections on the franken tree. I tend to agree that it isn’t worth the effort.

Hey Sandbur, have you given a try to Ure? I had two at my old house and it was a fantastic pear tree. I'm a hour North of the Twin cities.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hey Sandbur, have you given a try to Ure? I had two at my old house and it was a fantastic pear tree. I'm a hour North of the Twin cities.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don’t think I have tried that one.
One central Minnesota set tree producer tends to not recommend pear trees above Brainerd. I heard of one nice tree near Brainerd and suspect the metro or River warms the climate a bit. I think I see that near Little Falls.

I know another nursery/ now landscaping business that tended to draw the pear line about 50 miles south of Brainerd. He still sold them because people asked for them, but didn’t recommend them. He had Bailey’s stock.

Pears are fun to experiment with, but I doubt I will plant anymore. Success is much easier with hardy crabs as you move north in the state.

I am about 2 hours north of the cities. The fuzzy line exists somewhere around here.

Mine frosted out in April...