Fruit trees Minnesota ,, Wisconsin areas

wooduck

5 year old buck +
Has anyone been out to look at the fruit tree buds ,, How far out are they in your area with the very warm temps other signs of too early spring ? Sounds like its going to cool off for a few weeks maybe that will hold em back ,, Checked mine tues and no signs of bud swell still had a little frost in ground about 3 inches down but not deep

I did not notice much bud swell, but need to look closer. I started pruning about two weeks early

I can carry a ladder around on bare ground, versus using snowshoes last year.

The only mention of bud swell I heard/saw was a local who taps trees and they said they were not going to tap because they had bud swell.... I have no idea if they even know what they are talking about. But.... i can tell you sap has been running with good sugar content and the trees have to be pulling water from the roots to get the volumes we are seeing. Its an odd year, sap has been running since January , we are seeing a bit of a cool off but above freezing during the daytime. I need to cut some scion and had held off, Im going to take some this week. I have pruning to do too and it is nice just to ride up with the atv and walk around, my fencing isnt froze to the ground.

Seeing some swell here in NY zone 5 borderline 6. I wanted to graft fresh from the trees this year, but put some scions in the freezer this week.

Cowroker runs a large sap house and uses a few guys at work to get sap. It's been flowing for about 3 weeks in the catskills.

Last edited: