Kabic's clover thread

kabic

5 year old buck +
A lot of food plot threads are just me recording when I do something and the results I got. This is just a quick copy so I can go back and look at it if I want

kabic04-22-2013 11:25 AM
I got some Clover seed down
I spread the clover seed I got from the NWTF.

Longevity Clover Mix:
Crimson Clover 41.43%
Ladino CLover 24.54%
White Duch 20.80%
Yuchi Arrow Leaf 12.49%

I spread the seed this Saturday (April 20th) Most of the area was pretty slick\sloppy with the snow melt and rain we have been getting. A small section also had about 3 inches of slushy snow on it still and I seeded right on top of that. We will see how that section does compares to the rest later this spring\summer.

Saturday night\Sunday Morning we got some snow which melted by the afternoon. Today and the next three days the forecast is highs in the 40s and lows around freezing with rain today and chance for some more. Then a small warm up for the next six days, highs in the 60\70 lows in the 40s.

I'm hopefull the frost and forecasted rain will provide the seed some good contact with the ground. This is my first clover plot. I plan on updating this thread with pictures of the outcome of this planting as the weeks go by.

PAbonecollector8804-22-2013 11:30 AM
why would you plant this early?

kabic04-22-2013 11:53 AM
I wanted to try "frost seeding", probably the last week it will get below freezing, at least I hope so.

This is new food plot area; it was an area where some small trees were cleared from. Most of the brush was stacked and burned during the winter, but there are still many stumps in the area which would make it hard to work the soil.

It is my hope that by planting this early the clover will get a jump on any of the weeds that may want to spring up in this area. It is also my understanding that Crimson clover is an annual clover that establishes fast and I hope act as a cover crop for the slower growing Ladino and White Dutch which are perennial clovers.

I believe the Arrowleaf clover is also an annual clover, but matures later than the Crimson Clover does.

jake04-22-2013 03:53 PM
Keep us updated. Interested in how it turns out.

I will be doing my clover frost/overseeding here this week. I am in Central Wisconsin and still have snow on the ground. But it is raining good now and temps are warming up :)

NH Mountains04-22-2013 04:01 PM
Any photos? Did you add any lime? Spread any of the burn pile ashes?

chazz04-22-2013 08:12 PM
Frost seeded my plots on my land near Sparta Saturday as well. The timing is gonna be perfect.

kabic04-25-2013 11:33 AM
Here are some photos of the area I planted. The first two are looking left to right from a ladder stand. The third photo is an area at the back and looking right of the second photo. The snowy area in the second photo matches up with th snow to the left of the third photo. This area is a little spur that I had winter rye in last year.

The road on the right of the second photo that leads back to the snowy area wraps around to the left behind the brush and comes back out to the front of the plot (Horse shoe shape) was also planted. In the future I hope to get more of that brush out to connect the road to the plot.

I havent put any lime down yet, but do have plans to do so. I also didnt spread out the ashes, but as you can see there were many smaller fires around many of the stumps so they are kind of spread out already.

luckyone04-25-2013 12:33 PM
That sounds like a decent mix of clover. Mind telling how much / lb. ??
Not that i got any room left for planting, but does sound good. :)

kabic04-25-2013 03:09 PM
It was 12 pounds total which is suppose to be enough for 1 acre.

NH Mountains04-25-2013 04:01 PM
Thanks for posting the photos. The plot is coming along nicely. I'm viewing on my phone. Are those burned stumps in photo #2? Will you cut them back?

We're creating similar plots, reclaiming old orchards and small cuts. We are cutting stumps low, and then plan to grind them down with a DR stumpgrinder. Picked up a good used one for $1200. Works very quickly. Waiting for our trails to dry out so I can get back in to our newest plot.

Chummer04-25-2013 05:15 PM
I tried frost seeding a plot I had WI no plow in. It was as soon as the snow was gone and the ground is still frozen. I only did half because I didn't think I was doing it right. There was nothing left in the plot but leaves. I could not remove them because they were froze to the ground. Am I right thinking the leaves have to be removed or will the clover seed find the dirt. We did get a lot of rain since.

kabic05-09-2013 08:25 AM
Chummer: I think the seeds may find the dirt through the leaves but it probably depends how thick the mat of leaves are.

I believe this is my clover seeds starting to sprout. This is the first time for me planting clover, so you clover experts correct me if I'm wrong.

I may have been optimistic that crimson clover would grow fast and out-compete the weeds. I would have thought this brushy area would have issues with broadleaf weeds (there are some of those) but it looks like the grasses comming up may be a bigger problem . I may have to spray for grass sooner than I thought, but I’m going to let the clover get bigger before I do anything.

kabic07-20-2013 08:54 PM
I have been neglecting this plot. :(

I haven't sprayed anything for the weeds, or put down lime or fertilizer yet.

I did start to mow, but have some more to do,

kabic07-26-2013 03:24 PM
There is a section of this plot I frost seeded the clover into winter rye. Is the rye to the point where I can brush hog to reseed itself or does it need to wait?

KS BBB07-26-2013 08:29 PM
I mow mine in ks first week of september

wiscwhip07-26-2013 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabic (Post 613569)
There is a section of this plot I frost seeded the clover into winter rye. Is the rye to the point where I can brush hog to reseed itself or does it need to wait?

If it isn't choking out your clover or something else, I would leave until your ready to do your fall plots. We would let ours fall on it's own or just roll it down.

kabic08-12-2013 02:00 PM
I put some game cameras up and the clover plot is getting some use, but not as much as the nearby alfalfa field.

kabic08-18-2013 02:13 PM
I cut some of the more weedy areas today. It is sure hard trying to mow around the stumps. I did pull one stump today with my little JD 1023E, but I'm going to have my father in law get his skid steer in there to do some of the others.

Here is another shot of the plot getting some use.

kabic10-11-2013 01:38 PM
Here are some current pictures of the Frost Seeded Clover. So far very happy with the results. I'm sure next year will be even better.

And a shot from the section I frosted seeded into winter rye.

Jhoss10-11-2013 01:59 PM
Looks pretty good!
Where'd the rye go? Did it re-seed itself?

truckjohn10-11-2013 02:44 PM
You got a great looking plot there... It's certainly going to be better next year....

On fertilizer... The usual.. Soil test soil test soil test.... Did I say Soil Test? Reason:
The deer probably "Crave" whatever mineral is severely lacking in your local soils.... because it's missing from their diet... You add that to *Your* food plot - and you add a HUGE attraction that can last even 8-10 years from 1 amendment....... Now... I am not talking Nitrogen.. I am talking whatever minerals or minor elements are short in your soil - Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Whatever.... A soil test will tell you this...

On "Weeds".... Unless it's grass or stuff you *KNOW* deer won't eat... then it's probably worth leaving it there....

I was absolutely amazed to find out how much stuff that we consider "Weeds" deer consider "Delicacy".... Study after study... They eat "Weeds"....

Grass is a different story altogether.... It's gotta go....

Anyway - great looking plot!

kabic10-11-2013 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoss (Post 638109)
Where'd the rye go? Did it re-seed itself?

I brushed hogged the rye in September, you can see some of it on the right of edge of the picture. I was hoping it would reseed, but I'm not sure it has. I may just be shorter under the clover, I will have to take a closer look.

Next year I do plan to spray for grass in the spring and try get some fertilizer on it.

kabic01-23-2014 11:19 AM
My clover must be too short, or I have too much snow, but the deer are definitely not digging down through the snow to get to my clover like I see in pictures others post.

Deer are still in the area. Here is trail cam picture taken at the tree line that is at the back of the above picture.

kabic04-14-2014 12:22 PM
My clover has emerged from the snow and has green up a lot in the last week. Just when it is starting to green up it had to go and snow last night. :eek:

I put a game camera on it to see if any turkeys were using it. No turkeys so far this spring but the deer and a rabbit have been using it.

kabic06-06-2014 08:15 PM
Clover is looking good, can hardly tell where I mowed two weeks ago.

IMG_20140606_174230_877_zpsmfc4q2mh.jpg

kabic06-11-2014 04:25 PM
I forgot to post this picture to this thread...taken about a month ago

I have see multiple people post about not planting clover in the spring, I guess I have had a different experience than most. I don't think I could be much happier than how this plot is doing in its second year.

clover047_zps1a6904af.jpg

kabic07-28-2014 11:39 AM
The bees were very active in the clover past this last week. I think two differnt types of bees.

closeups009_zps3b0ce73e.jpg

closeups012_zps97880ac9.jpg

kabic10-22-2014 02:25 PM
I wanted to share some more pictures of the clover plot. There are some weeds in there but I guess they are providing cover.

Sean9803-01-2016 11:12 AM
There may be a few weeds in there but for some reason I find that more pleasing to my eye than a super clean clover plot. just looks more natural to me and less 'golf course' I guess.

Great job.