Fruit trees for Spring 2023

Thanks Sandbur,

I ran home from work to put oats, wheat, and clover and roll it in the home plots before dark. Just started to snow now.

I took folks advice on here, and got some true zone 3 trees. I got what I could find this late in the season. Maple Valley Orchard had Redfield, Chestnut, Sweet 16, and Nova EZgro. This is in addition to the scion you sent me sandbur. Thanks scions and advice.

Thinking I need some more bareroots, might sweeten up the maple orchards order with some G210 and a few more M111. G210 would be up in zone 3 and home too. I split an order from turkey creek with my coworkers. I got them some enteprise, which sounds like a slow cooker to produce. Ill graft one or two crabapples for them on the faster G210 or maybe get M7 as well.

Chummer and Apple Junkie,

What do you guys advise I put up there? I have a scion or two of redfield, not sure If I have kerr scion coming in. Was going to plant a few dolgo as is up there. There are (2) 30-06 and a droptine on antonvoka up there right now. No white or red cedars I have seen up there. Sure fireblight might be an issue considering I can't water them. Bears aren't a huge problem, but giving whitetail crabs crossbow a try. They say kerr makes good branches too.

Soil is pretty sandy, so B118 will be a good one to try. Got a bunch of antonovka, but the rabbits nibbled on them good this fall when the fence went down for a day or two, Think most will be cleft graftable.
This is from the Alberta Fruit Group that I follow. The Canadian zones are established on a different basis. Their zone 3 might approximate our zone 2.

Attachments

• BDEBAA71-00C4-4725-9B42-B365832D9DBA.jpeg
    BDEBAA71-00C4-4725-9B42-B365832D9DBA.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 39
This is from the Alberta Fruit Group that I follow. The Canadian zones are established on a different basis. Their zone 3 might approximate our zone 2.
You need to clip on it to read all of his comments.I haveNoran as I said before and also a young Lee 37 that some like.

I think the Lee 37 was a root graft I tried on dolgo.

Got a email from Stark yesterday, my order will be coming next week. Got an email from stark today, trees coming tomorrow. Seems early, but not too worried about it 2 saturn peaches for the wife and a franklin cider apple tree. This one is going to stay at home and feed the cider press They say it's good for zone 3B. It's from franklin VT 610 ft elevation and zone 4B. Close to the Canada border. Also say its a good wildlife tree due to later drop date.

I got 4 asian pears from Willis last friday and it's cold at night here in zone 6 but nothing like you.I guess I didn't realize apples could get fire blight,I have only had issues with pears getting it and apples getting CAR.

I split 14 trees with my dad from wildlife group got them in the ground last weekend. This was my second order they had 100% survival on my first. I don’t seem to have much trouble with deer browsing them but they sure rub the crap out of them if they are unprotected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I split 14 trees with my dad from wildlife group got them in the ground last weekend. This was my second order they had 100% survival on my first. I don’t seem to have much trouble with deer browsing them but they sure rub the crap out of them if they are unprotected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You guys are out planting trees, and I am out on snowshoes doing pruning. Different worlds for sure!

Planted 2 saturn peach and a franklin cider tree Today from Stark Orchards. This is their 3-4ft trees.

Just sunk them into the ground came insaide and saw 39th parallel is sending a dozen M111's, a few pear rootstocks, and a bunch of scions. Gonna be a usry spring.

Attachments

• 20230308_171816.jpg
    20230308_171816.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 26
You guys are out planting trees, and I am out on snowshoes doing pruning. Different worlds for sure!
You guys had a rough go of it this winter for sure. We had 1 of the most mild winters I recall. Zero frost in the ground for weeks now.

After pruning and reviewing the openings to replant, I decided to check out Cummins to see what was left and ordered 5 trees. I figured I'd graft something but I've been lazy about it. Easier to just order and replace. Replacing a centennial crab, wickson crab, PRI 77-1 crab, a Redfree, and a Stoke's Red. Some of those might have succumb to borers but the Wickson never looked healthy. New trees are Enterprise, Winecrisp, Pixie Crunch, a Sir Prize, and a Crimson Topaz. Sir Prize is an older PRI selection (Coop 5) that I haven't seen for sale since I started planting so I was happy to get one of those. Crimson Topaz has been mentioned by others and is scab resistant. The others are PRI selections that I already have one or more trees and could have grafted myself if I felt like waiting.

I got shipping notice for 6 more trees today,Planting trees is starting to get in way of shed hunting.I am hoping they are finally shed this weekend

trees are Enterprise, Winecrisp, Pixie Crunch, a Sir Prize, and a Crimson Topaz.
Crimson Topaz is a SUPER eating apple. Good balance of flavors - sweet, tart & tangy, and juicy. If you can find any to eat locally, try one! Fresh off the tree they're crazy-good. My wife took some in to share with her co-workers, and they all asked what kind of apple it was and where could they buy some. FWIW.

Based on 15 day I am at least a month away from doing much. I will easily have snow into April unless the last week of March gets warm.

Same here. 30-36” of snow at my property and another 4-8” coming tonight/tomorrow and another storm right on its heels. Crazy! I emailed Bluehill and Whitetail crabs and both places were happy to delay my tree shipping dates by 2 weeks. I don’t mind planting trees with a little snow but 3’ on the ground is not gonna work. At this rate, with the predicted below average temps for March/April because of the Greenland block in place and weakening polar vortex, I might be dealing with snowpack until May. Things can change in a hurry this time of year and I’m hoping winter loosens it’s grip very soon!

Planning to put my blue hill order of trees in on March 25th pending decent weather. Been a cold March and looks to stay that way for at least another week and a half but we had a really warm February. Almost like they switched weather. Now I gotta get my cages, screens and weed mats around..at least I know when the deadline is….

Best thing for good bloom - fruit set is cold spring , snow cover trees wake late -flower late ,, hopefully miss the frost that comes every year during bloom ,, going to plant 150 or so 100 triumph , 50 sweet maia looks like late april planting ,, pruning is done we got a great ice crust over knee deep snow and made great time in feb ,, Has snowed bunches since

Speaking of deer we used to have high tensile electrified perimeter fence ,, used a massive fencer with deep snow and hunger deer have learned to leap thru the tensile wires - not get shocked as they are not grounded in mid air ,, tensile wire was up for twenty years have now replaced with woven nine feet high haven't seen a track inside since

Last edited:
Have (1) triumph and something else sitting in the garage right now. Nursery sent way early despite my email asking for delay. Hope they can hold out for awhile because expect at least a month before conditions are ok to plant. If they croak will be looking for a new source for triumph. Not going back to Gurneys if they can't read and process my emails.

Have (1) triumph and something else sitting in the garage right now. Nursery sent way early despite my email asking for delay. Hope they can hold out for awhile because expect at least a month before conditions are ok to plant. If they croak will be looking for a new source for triumph. Not going back to Gurneys if they can't read and process my emails.
Lots of places to get triumph another new release from U of M is mn 33 no name yet available to everyone ,, With your tree came early i would plant in a big pot and hold in garage moist soil if it wakes up to much plant when it goes dormant in fall . i dont care for gurneys much pretty corporate last few years ,, if searching for seed catalog stuff try Jungs still good service

At the time early last fall internet search was not showing many options for full size triumph. Not a big fan of seed catalog type places either. Would guess those in the biz know/have other sources and can guess that as time rolls along other nursery options will be easier to find.

Know of Jungs as have driven by the main nursery in WI several times recently.

Put my willis order in right before the storm last night. Bartlet pear, granny smith apple, and a bunch of what they called 1-2ft seedlings. These guys were too small to graft, in my novice opinion.... The dolgos looked like they had recently sprouted leaves. 1 ordered 2 pears, and gave the smaller one with more roots to my coworker. everything had agrigel on it, but it looked like the pears were really dry before getting packaged to ship. Not much roots on the larger one. Not holding my breath on that tree.....20230313_201937.jpg