fishing reports

Goliaths get HUGE. Swear I've seen some come up to steal fish that looked the size of volkswagen beetle bugs. To Bill's point they tear up TONS of gear. Had a friend determined to catch one on heavy rod and reel and think at last count he'd had gear destroyed at least 4 times (and still without a goliath actually brought boatside).

Funny true story was posted on a local forum with pics a while back. Boat with six guys fishing on it were getting gags chased up by a huge goliath so they decided to tie all their six lines to a single heavy shark cable with a single big hook. One at a time their gear failed them until the last lone guy was still connected and finally got the fish up to the top.

Handlining with rope tied to cable is WAY easier. Batting 2 for 2 on efforts from my boat thus far, though admittedly quite an intense brief tug of war. Rope doesn't crack like rods do when pulled against the side of the boat, and in fact the side can be used as a bit of a brake to slow dives down.

My brother went to Bass Pro in Cape Coral told the fishing dept he wanted a rig that wouldn’t break on a Goliath. $2000 later he had a rig. 1 week later they refunded him and ordered a bigger rod. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. We actually found hand lining them was easier also. Their basically the worlds largest Big mouth bass.

We are going Mako fishing next week. Regs are ridiculous on them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Where are you leaving port?

We are going Mako fishing next week. Regs are ridiculous on them.

Where are you leaving port?
Wachapreague VA
Here's a blue shark we got last year down there.

348f1d4c375b3f3dddc6ca1cf100a94b.jpg

Last edited:
Wachapreague VA
Here's a blue shark we got last year down there.

Far from me, I was going to say stop by. Cape May, NJ and Ocean City, MD are both having their Mako tournaments this weekend. Your timing should be great. Good luck!

A number of years ago, my son and I were out about 80 miles fishing at the MARS rig off the mouth of the Mississippi. Was trolling a pink Mirrorlure and hooked about a 20 lb blackfin tuna. Got it right up to the boat and a five ft long barracuda grabbed it, getting hooked in the process. Fifteen minutes later, we get it up to the boat and a twelve ft hammerhead took it - and it, too, hooked up. I should have just cut the line - I have caught enough sharks where I dont ever want another - unless a mako. But, I wanted my lure back. Fought the hammerhead for an hour before getting it almost back to the boat - when it broke off. Should have just cut the line. Folks who have some experience fishing saltwater - in general - dont care for fish that interfere with catching your target species - like goliaths, sharks, sea lions, dolphins (mammals), etc.

What's special about Mako?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What's special about Mako?

I've only caught 2 of them and they were both undersize. They are amazing. One of mine jumped before we even realized there was a fish on.
And I like catching anything that fights. We get into hammerhead, blue, tiger, and some kinda brown ones. They are all a blast. ~300 pound tiger was something else. Kicked my ass getting it even close to the boat, only to have it zip off a couple hundred more feet of line...it did that several times.
I like to eat fish but I like fighting them even better.

I've only caught 2 of them and they were both undersize. They are amazing. One of mine jumped before we even realized there was a fish on.
And I like catching anything that fights. We get into hammerhead, blue, tiger, and some kinda brown ones. They are all a blast. ~300 pound tiger was something else. Kicked my ass getting it even close to the boat, only to have it zip off a couple hundred more feet of line...it did that several times.
I like to eat fish but I like fighting them even better.

Where I did most of my fishing - sharks are a nuisance. There is no skill in catching them - only muscles are required. The skill is catching your intended quarry without catching a shark or without the sharks getting your fish. I have had 80 lb tuna bit into on numerous occasions.

I have been in other waters where sharks are sought after. Not in Venice, LA. They are despised , there.

We like sharks on the beach. Easy to catch and it’s always fun seeing the moms with young kids react when you drag a shark in :). When they eat your target fish they get old.

Mako on the other hand is one of the best tasting fish I’ve ever had. “Fresh Mako”

Not that it comes anywhere near being good as mako, but I enjoy grilling blacktip about once a year. Thing I do like about shark in general is it doesn't flake apart and holds together very well when cooked on the grill. On other hand, don't eat it too often out of mercury concern.

So now I have another bucket list box to check... eat Mako! Sounds like they are a blast to catch also. I was in Virginia last summer. Caught some spade and a cobia. It was a lot of fun, I can't imagine how much fun the big one's you guys are talking about would be. We went out one night for dinner and I got a huge tuna steak. It was great!

Reactions: Tap
So now I have another bucket list box to check... eat Mako! Sounds like they are a blast to catch also. I was in Virginia last summer. Caught some spade and a cobia. It was a lot of fun, I can't imagine how much fun the big one's you guys are talking about would be. We went out one night for dinner and I got a huge tuna steak. It was great!

I love tuna steak. A yellowfin tuna over 75 lbs is a back breaker. Wahoo is my favorite offshore fish to eat. Billfish are my favorite to catch. 800 lb black marlin I caught on Hannibal Bank in Panama last year. Hooked up for 8 hours with 80 class tackle.
CB98110B-D761-4D4F-84BA-8507C7D35435.jpeg

Amazing!

The weather here blows...literally.
Can't get off shore in my buddy's 28 footer.
Nothing to catch in shore. Locals say flounder has been terrible.
Weather forecast doesn't look good for the next few days, either. This trip could be a bust.

After seeing all the offshore pics and size of the fish I'm not sure it's even worth mentioning all the walleyes I've been getting the last couple weeks....:emoji_yum:

Reactions: Tap
After seeing all the offshore pics and size of the fish I'm not sure it's even worth mentioning all the walleyes I've been getting the last couple weeks....:emoji_yum:
Lets see 'em. Looking at pics of your fish will give me something to do since we AREN'T fishing.

That’s a tough one Tap. Sorry to hear about the bad luck.

That’s a tough one Tap. Sorry to hear about the bad luck.
Im sure the weather will straighten out and we will have beautiful, blue bird weather...yeah...the 1st week of NOVEMBER! haha.

I know some fishermen who specialize in one species of fish. I caught my Black Marlin in February. We were using 8 lb bonito for BAIT. On the plane flight home, I was already deciding where I was going crappie fishing the next day. Fishing for anything makes me happy