fishing reports

I had the kids up north with me a few weeks ago while the wife worked all weekend. Took the little 12 foot boat and headed out to secret little lake and had it all to ourselves. The two girls caught well over 125 sunfish in about 2.5 hours. 90% of them were better than a half pound and some were pushing 1 lb. They had an absolute blast. We didnt need live bait, but my 3 yo wanted to play with leeches. Caught most on 2" white twister tail and 1/16oz jig. Kept 8 for supper and never picked up the anchor until we were done. Got lots of memorable videos for them to watch years from now. I didnt get to fish much. We also saw a HUGE bear on the road on the way back to the hunting shack. Best fishing they ever had and the first bear for the 14 yo. 2nd one for the 3 yo.

IMG_5960.JPGIMG_5978.JPGIMG_5982.JPG

Fishing for Striped Bass on the Cape Cod Canal this summer. The locals said they had never seen more bass in the canal in 20 years. Hit the tides right...hit the moon right...epic fishing this summer. You can catch one a day at a 28" minimum.

IMG-0705 (1).JPG
IMG-0714 (1).JPG
IMG-0731 (1).JPG

PHOTO-2019-08-04-12-50-36.jpg

Last edited:
Fishing for Striped Bass on the Cape Cod Canal this summer. The locals said they had never seen more bass in the canal in 20 years. Hit the tides right...hit the moon right...epic fishing this summer. You can catch one a day at a 28" minimum.

View attachment 25913
View attachment 25914
View attachment 25915

View attachment 25917

and their headed south soon.
.should we deer hunt or fish???

I was up north (MN) for Labor Day. We got into some really big crappies on Leech Lake. They might be my favorite to fish for, but they have to be big. Still trying to break 16" mark. Biggest on this trip was around 13.75".

Those are nice fish Bill. You should watch Landshark Outdoors or his GF Brooke Crist on Youtube. All they do is catch, clean and cook. I love watching them. I know they have several different videos on mahi mahi.

Some of my boys from Labor Day

40077811fde7cfabb17d3d556b205bfb.jpg
85bf05ded3ab5d9a97a4ac92046d7aae.jpg
aac1016a285d810f105a108b211cd512.jpg
6b20ec1b64c777339b29d0cc2f086096.jpg
9463bc7da3a73f04e3ad23460762609c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are some nice brown trout. How big were they? That bottom fish must be around 20", but it's always tough to tell by a picture. Night crawlers or artificials?

Those are some nice brown trout. How big were they? That bottom fish must be around 20", but it's always tough to tell by a picture. Night crawlers or artificials?
We caught 4 between 18-181/4" and the 11 y/o caught 2 of them. We use artificial.

So, here's a story about one that DIDN'T get away... but then, well... DID get away.

After working all day in our North FL Hades-hot temps, decided to take a quick paddle around the pond before dark. Simply due to the pleasure of hearing/seeing the explosive topwater hits I was throwing a topwater frog lure. If it looks a bit funny it's because it's a bit of a "mesh-up" lure I make with frogs by removing skirts and then adding a tadpole like spinning tail that gives it more of a buzzbait action (copying the design of the Teckel Sprinker frogs for those who've seen them).

Threw a cast to the very back pocket of a recessed lily pad cover and watched as something pushed a sizable wake to it before smashing it. Honestly thought it might be one of the alligators in the pond the wake was so big. Almost instantly the line was wrapped around lily stems but I could feel aggressive tugs on the other end so pulled myself to the spot as quickly as possible. Again, being a bit scared that a gator might be on the other end I cautiously worked the pads open until I saw a BIG gaping mouth open.

20190816200005_1 (2).JPG

I've caught at least half a dozen bass weighing between 5 to 7 pounds but the mouth on this one seemed other-worldly by comparison. Fish definitely didn't have the puffed-up spawning belly, but was LONG. Look closely you can see just how much length is sticking up over the canoe, and that with the tail of the bass laying against the bottom of the canoe.

IMG_7000 W (2).jpg

So here's where Murphy's law kicks in... REALLY wanted to weigh her but turned out that this was probably the first in 100 trips I didn't load my tackle box with scale in the canoe. So I quickly put the bass on a HEAVY duty metal stringer so I could paddle about 50 yards back to the dock where my tackle box was sitting, and upon dropping her into the water with just a SINGLE aggressive shake she bent open the clip and made her escape back into the dark water. At least thankful I thought to quickly get a few pictures of her.

with just a SINGLE aggressive shake she bent open the clip and made her escape back into the dark water.

I lost several bass and laketrout that way. I only use a stringer for perch now.

A little action from Hawaii. Like noodling catfish...but different.

59b8649ff5eb3380480168f8ffdbea01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whoa! That's awesome!

If you are in the market for a new flasher for ice fishing Scheels has the Marcum Lx6s on sale for $399 this week marked down $230 from reg price. This is the best deal I’ve seen on this unit.

received_283327056015907.jpeg
received_2566667030329629.jpeg

First trout of the season. Found a hidden lake on a map and trekked over a mountain to find it. Good numbers and activity. Very secluded. Might have caught a few more if my dog hadn't been playing in the water the whole time.

This was from last weekend. We have a spot down the road where the road cross a good sized creek. We were hoping to find some crappies, but only caught these stinky greenbacks. We caught several on small jig and plastic for crappies. I really wanna try my new bubba fillet knife. I might have to take the 12’ boat out and get some crappies next weekend. I have my 4 yo casting and fishing with a 6’ rod. She’s such a fast learner. She had fun reeling in a few of these donkeys. Average size was over 3 lb.

611D4C51-7430-4880-B251-12F4EC9267AA.jpeg10E389BE-209C-407C-ABF4-9CABEEDDD3EE.jpegEA2DDE5E-C2A4-4135-87D2-A34AE8E7E7CE.jpeg

Went up north again last weekend. I am trying to install 500 weed mats around trees, mulch them, adjust cages, remove competition, etc. Anyways, once the sun hits the trees I stop working and head down the road about 6 miles to my culvert spot. I can usually get some panfish or a northern. This spring it has been mostly bass. Some of them quite big for MN. My first night i caught 5 fish in about 20 cast with a 4lb average. I did have a nice northern on that snapped my line. I really wanted to put him on some tinfoil and bake him in the oven. It will be crappie time next time I head up. I did get to fish in a boat for a bit with a friend and I landed a 14.75" crappie and a couple big sunfish that were around 1 lb. The bass are fun to catch, but I really enjoy chasing crappies, especially big ones.

IMG_3034.JPGIMG_3033.JPGIMG_2959.JPG