fishing reports

I like to fish for what's biting at the time. I do have methods I prefer to use though. Sometimes I won't fish at all if the patterns I like to use and am setup for aren't working. I did spend about 20 years chasing musky, almost exclusively. The 27" is my biggest this year so far pulling cranks on boards. The 29" was this past March wading in the river. Crappy pic, I was alone and just wanted to get something on film. No picture no proof for my fishing buds:)

I have a close friend who fishes for Tuna out in NH. Standing invite from him. I really need to do that someday soon.

Attachments

• 27eye.jpg
    27eye.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    776.1 KB · Views: 36
Worst trip we've had here.
Theres been a small craft advisory for pretty much the last 5 days and today is the most miserable yet.
I doubt we we will get to fish at all. Crap.

We got some brook trout too. I think our group got 4 total. This was the biggest at just over 3 lbs.

Attachments

• received_449617692262605.jpeg
    received_449617692262605.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20190615_171822.jpg
    20190615_171822.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 14
Back home last Saturday evening from our father\son fishing trip to Voyageurs Park in northern MN. We camp the entire week on a group site. Sadly, we are all getting a little older and at the stage in life when only 4 of the 16 were actually sons. Great food and great fun was had by all. No mishaps and we all made it back home without issue. The fishing started off a little slow but got better with each passing day. The SMB bite was fairly nonexistent compared to what we usually can do on this trip. The walleyes made for that though. We mostly jigged leaches in 18 to 25 fow for eaters. We take only one evening meal of protein for the week so we rely on catching dinner every other night. Slot fish could be found casting cranks to weedlines and wind blown flats in 4 to 6 fow. Lots of fun to catch but those have to go back. I believe 26" was the biggest for the week. We eat what we need and don't take our limits home.
My boat partners and I did take "steak night" off of fishing. Played some cards and headed to a resort by boat to have a few refrigerator cold beers. It was a nice break on a hot day.

Was up north last week. Fished 3 different lakes and nailed the crappies on all 3 of them. Wife and I took the 12 foot boat to a secret lake one night (about 5 miles from hunting shack) and didnt catch anything for about the first 90 mins. We decided to try 1 more spot and we proceeded to whack the crappies for about 2 hours. We caught a couple right around the 14" mark. Wife lost quite a few from excitement. She had a 2+ lb crappie up to the boat, swings it up and instead of lowering it into the boat it swung right out the other side and back into the water. LMFAO!! It was huge. Saved me a taxidermist bill anyways. We kept some small ones for supper and let some of the hogs go. I lost the first 3 I had on and thought they were bass. I was about floored when I realized they were huge crappies. So much fun. All caught on plastics. Nobody on the lake but us and a couple loons. Love those big paper mouths. Most of the crappies were in 4-10 feet and they were around cabbage weeds and no place else. If you werent by that weed your werent catching shit. My 3 year old daughter caught a 4+ lb bass too so that was fun for her. IMG_5149.JPG

No better tasting fish out there!!!

Awesome stuff Telemark!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Until this past week, 2019 hadn't been generous as our local North Florida saltwater fishing goes. While I'd managed to hook the fish I like to target, cobia, each trip, all had fallen an inch or two short of the required 33" fork tail length.

That blessedly changed this past Friday while I was doing my best to put my wife's nephew, nieces, and a friend of theirs (all down visiting from out of state) on fish. It was a true joy having them aboard, as despite a slow start they seemed happy just to be out on the water the entire time, and were quite patient while we awaited a "monster bite" after catching a mackerel and letting them each experience a remora latching on to them (never fails to entertain folks who haven't fished saltwater before!).

That bite took place only an hour before the dropping tide was going to force us to call it quits, and what a bite it turned out to be. We actually failed to hook the cobia the first go round... it ran with one of our baits and when we put tension on the line it dropped it. Pulling the bait up I saw it hadn't been cut by a shark or crushed by a grouper, and I suspected a cobia had taken it and might take it again. Before I could even drop the bait all the way back to the bottom the line ripped off on a STRONG run. Round one with the cobia found us bringing it close to the boat only to have it do a deep dive and circle THREE other lines we still had down. With a mass of knots in the middle of the active line, I thought for sure we'd lose the nice cobia to a break off but working as a team everyone worked to keep the knotted lines pushed far enough down on the main line until we were able to reel the cobia just close enough to gaff it. Tale of the tape -- 44" cobia weighing in somewhere between 30 to 35 pounds (bringing it green we couldn't keep it still enough for the scale to completely settle). Made for a happy day being able to see my wife's family off with a cooler filled with tasty fish!
1f642.png

20190628_123919R.jpg

20190628_125425R.jpg

65734654_414870742R.jpg

20190628_131819R.jpg

20190628_131703R.jpg

Nice catch ... looks like a full freezer!

Did you lip that monk when you brought it into the boat? Ouch!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This one wandered into a net I had set for flounder. The last one I got on a rod and reel I had to lift into the boat with the bin I carry my nets in. They bite anything that gets near them.

Pulled out at 5:00 AM this morning to chum sharks at a shoal 6 miles out where we brought in a 5 foot brown shark on Monday. After about an hour of no action my son wanted to drift for flounder. We caught at least 50 shorts. Not a keeper in the bunch.
E5760A0A-F6FD-49E2-83B6-746894D59D73.png

It was calm enough to hit the 15 mile reef so we so decided to try our luck there.

Ran into large bait balls on the way and decided to try and fill the freezer with bait for the summer.

5A77FABD-92EB-4BB8-BE43-B41E912DB4EA.png11DF14C7-E6A2-422D-BDFF-06543A589618.png

Ended up with about 50 bunker in the live well when it was over so bait won’t be bought for a while.
0E13665D-FB65-468C-88AE-8CC725D9960D.png

Ran into a darn nice cobia sunning himself on the top and tossed him a nice snapper blue fish we pulled out of the bunker. No dice he was already fed, fat dumb and happy. No doubt he had a belly full of bunker.

No pics but we pulled out two decent Bonita from under the bunker balls. They went on the grill fresh tonight. Other than cleaning a bloody boat and sun burn it turned out to be a good day.

Last edited:
I think I reported on our northern MN summer vaca pics the past couple years. Here goes again. I'd love to be able to fish 24/7 while up there, but I keep being told it's a "family" vacation and not a fishing trip, so we squeeze in what we can, sometimes after dark, which is really late up there. Cass Lake chain, near Bemidji. Late July. Kids got some nice panfish. Here's my oldest son and my niece:

20190725_194305.jpg20190723_194656(0).jpg20190720_213859.jpg.

Last edited:
We usually keep about 60 walleyes each year, for our group of 15, 4 families. The girls like to catch them but aren't good at baiting hooks or touching fish yet. Here's my very cute wife making her 14" contribution, and my sis in law with her personal best, bun in the oven 2nd trimester... I'll let you decide whether it's the walleye or the sis in law. And my sister with a nice fat one... she's a slayer.

IMG_8122.jpg imagejpeg_0(2).jpgimagejpeg_0(1).jpg

Last edited:
A couple for me. Followed by my bro, and a couple good ones for my dad and bro in law, on their Sadie Hawkins fishing date. We tried to release my dad's big 1, but it didn't feel well and wouldn't revive in the livewell.

imagejpeg_0(4).jpg20190723_222928.jpgIMG_8101.jpg20190725_234356.jpg

Last edited:
A few summer Hawaiian bonefish.

IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0347.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk