fishing reports

Is that the pond on your property?

Is that the pond on your property?
It is, Telemark. I've largely practiced catch and release since I purchased the property in 2013 and in doing so I've seen the average bass size steadily decline with lots more smaller fish being caught while hooking fewer big ones (and ALL the bigger ones have been released to date). Property was vacant for about 6 years before we purchased it and I had to run off multiple trespassers who were fishing the first year. Though don't want trespassers, do think they actually were keeping population in better check than I have. Recommendations for Florida are harvesting 15 to 30 pounds of bass per acre each year. At 25 acres that equates to needing to take out 500 pounds or so. Think I'll honestly be lucky of I can find time to even take 200 or so.

Really nice. Hard to beat that for food and fun.

Not the biggest fish I've shared, but maybe the most colorful. Warmouth sunfish (aka red-eyed bream, stump knocker, or shell cracker). Surprise catches on a 4" craw bait pitched up into the shade of my dock -- usually catch bass doing it, but guessing they are bedding on the heels of the full moon. And beg pardon for the dirty nails, but fishing was snuck-in after a bit of habitat work.

Warmouth1.jpg

Warmouth2.jpg

Warmouth3.jpg

My dad, my daughter and I went fishing today. Dad caught a really nice smallmouth on an ultralight we got him in '89. He hasn't mounted a fish since the 90's and he's considering getting a reproduction made of this one. Anyone know of anyone regarded as doing great smallie repros? Fish went almost 21.75"

20190524_124342.jpg

I know Fittante and Lax are 2 of the more famous muskie repro taxis. I looked at some of their bass and they look pretty darn good.

Saw thisl video yesterday... not a personal report, but I HAVE had the same thing happen / have had a hammerhead eat a smaller blacktip I was fighting, but my gear (including boat) were MUCH more modest and my fight lasted all of about 15 seconds.

Have to add, drone footage of the bite in video is pretty darn cool. Definitely has me itching to get back out to our area saltwaters here in the next few weeks as temps warm up enough to bring my favorite targets (cobia and kingfish) back into our local waters.

WOW!
We are heading to VA in a few weeks to fish for Mako. We usually get into some Hammerheads but I've seen one that big.
That video has me pumped! Thanks for posting it.

Talked a buddy into rope wrasslin' up a big one earlier this week...

IMG_2772(2).jpg

He caught a pretty gag grouper and cobia as well.

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2733.JPG

And as only those who've fished coastal areas will be able to appreciate, due to the intricacies of saltwater fishing regulations we only brought home about 2 pounds out of 300+ brought to the boat -- a single seatrout not even pictured. All of the above had to be released (goliath grouper protected despite very healthy population, and both the gag and cobia less than a inch short).

View attachment 24561

View attachment 24562

View attachment 24563

And as only those who've fished coastal areas will be able to appreciate, due to the intricacies of saltwater fishing regulations we only brought home about 2 pounds out of 300+ brought to the boat -- a single seatrout not even pictured. All of the above had to be released (goliath grouper protected despite very healthy population, and both the gag and cobia less than a inch short).
Wow! That's some great stuff!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

View attachment 24561

View attachment 24562

View attachment 24563

We are going Mako fishing next week. Regs are ridiculous on them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We are going Mako fishing next week. Regs are ridiculous on them.
Tap, it's not much of a joke to say you need a well-versed lawyer on board to be even somewhat safe down our way.

Some regulations change by county waters (out in the gulf that's not the easiest thing to always decipher) and also many of the regs differ if you go beyond the state line into federal waters (beyond 9 nautical miles from closest point to land -- again, not always easiest thing to know while out).

Gag grouper just opened statewide with the exception of 3 counties (three I happen to generally fish) which had open season from April through the 1st of June, and the number of cobia that can be kept varies from state waters to federal waters at the moment. If you go out to federal waters and catch a more generous limit than allowed in state waters on the way back in you aren't allowed to do any fishing on the way back in (for any species) as you have to continuously motor back to your landing area.

Not joking when I say that I often stay up late the night before doing my best to put together a cheat sheet on what can be kept per the latest regs (that sometimes even change mid-season).

Talked a buddy into rope wrasslin' up a big one earlier this week.

The first Goliath is fun. After that no thanks....and I mean in a lifetime not per trip. :)

My son has been playing with the sharks off the beach. One of the perks of a job at the beach while your in college.

1558CF88-4078-49FC-9561-FF5BA4A78B9B.jpeg

Talked a buddy into rope wrasslin' up a big one earlier this week.

The first Goliath is fun. After that no thanks....and I mean in a lifetime not per trip. :)
Why is that? I never caught one.

Can’t keep them. Actually you can’t take them out of the water. And they will kick your butt on light tackle.
They’ve stripped the gears on two Penn Slammers on me. Both times because they ate an amber jack that was already on the line. At certain times we get sick of them eating what we are trying to catch and snapping rigs.

Can’t keep them. Actually you can’t take them out of the water. And they will kick your butt on light tackle.
They’ve stripped the gears on two Penn Slammers on me. Both times because they ate an amber jack that was already on the line. At certain times we get sick of them eating what we are trying to catch and snapping rigs.
Almost sounds like shark fishing.
We hook lots of non target shark. They are amazing fighters. I caught a ~300 lb tiger a few years ago. It kicked my ass and you dont keep tiger shark. But man, it was fun.

Lifetime dream right there guys! Giant grouper and huge sharks have always been on my bucket list. Way cool that you guys have done that!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Goliaths get HUGE. Swear I've seen some come up to steal fish that looked the size of volkswagen beetle bugs. To Bill's point they tear up TONS of gear. Had a friend determined to catch one on heavy rod and reel and think at last count he'd had gear destroyed at least 4 times (and still without a goliath actually brought boatside).

Funny true story was posted on a local forum with pics a while back. Boat with six guys fishing on it were getting gags chased up by a huge goliath so they decided to tie all their six lines to a single heavy shark cable with a single big hook. One at a time their gear failed them until the last lone guy was still connected and finally got the fish up to the top.

Handlining with rope tied to cable is WAY easier. Batting 2 for 2 on efforts from my boat thus far, though admittedly quite an intense brief tug of war. Rope doesn't crack like rods do when pulled against the side of the boat, and in fact the side can be used as a bit of a brake to slow dives down.