First try at cuttings

Bill Loser

5 year old buck +
Planted my first cuttings today. Tried willow , mullberry, and basswood. I would think the willow and mullberry would take off, not sure on the basswood though. We will see. Tried a bunch of different spots and soil types. Would be cool if it works !

The willows won't let you down. Never tried basswood or mulberry.

I'm told mullberry will work... we will see!

Willow and Mulberry will certainly work. I have my doubts about basswood, but wish you luck!

-John

Yeah wasn't sure on that one either. But I had some around the pond that needed trimming so I figured what the hell. Only one way to find out.

I need to try mulberry. Mulberry is very common around here, but I know of none on my place or the general area. Great fruit to have if you like to eat wild fruit, my kids love them. It ripens early, we eat them in Spring, and then blackberry, and later persimmon. Yum!!

I need to try mulberry. Mulberry is very common around here, but I know of none on my place or the general area. Great fruit to have if you like to eat wild fruit, my kids love them. It ripens early, we eat them in Spring, and then blackberry, and later persimmon. Yum!!

I'm one zone too cold for mulberry, or I would have some for sure.

-John

I've heard all kinds of good things about them. I have 2 established by the pond. Just moved here in the fall so don't know what kind of mullberry. I assume red due to the zone I'm in. I beleive those are the most cold hardy?these things have been trimmed badly over the years and there are sucker s popping out every where very ugly right now. Forecast for the week is good for this " experiment" Rain everyday for the next week.

I tried some willow and red osier a week ago but didnt feel good about it.....

How big of cutting should I take and from where? I took roughly 1/2- 3/4" cuttings about 18" long from the bottom part of a new willow... so total it was 6' before I cut the top off. I couldnt see any "buds". Am I too early or did I do it all wrong??

I tried some willow and red osier a week ago but didnt feel good about it.....

How big of cutting should I take and from where? I took roughly 1/2- 3/4" cuttings about 18" long from the bottom part of a new willow... so total it was 6' before I cut the top off. I couldnt see any "buds". Am I too early or did I do it all wrong??

You should be golden. Willow have "epicormic shoots" - so even if you can't see buds, there are dormant buds that will sprout.

If you took material <1" it will grow. Often much bigger material will too. But <1" is young growth and will take off as soon as soil temps warm up.

-John

Don't overlook some native seeding coupled with some chainsaw work and lime. I bought thousands of seeds for hardly any money at https://sheffields.com/
I've got a project going now where I've flattened a bunch of brush into a pile, threw the native seeds up into the pile along with a bag of lime and will wait to see what I get. This cost me about $8 per spot and 20 minutes time. The brush pile is to serve as short term protection. If I get 1% success, this will have been the easiest and most affordable project I've taken on.

If it works, I won't be done anything beyond apples, evergreens, and oaks, as far as plants go.

Don't overlook some native seeding coupled with some chainsaw work and lime. I bought thousands of seeds for hardly any money at https://sheffields.com/
I've got a project going now where I've flattened a bunch of brush into a pile, threw the native seeds up into the pile along with a bag of lime and will wait to see what I get. This cost me about $8 per spot and 20 minutes time. The brush pile is to serve as short term protection. If I get 1% success, this will have been the easiest and most affordable project I've taken on.

If it works, I won't be done anything beyond apples, evergreens, and oaks, as far as plants go.

I'm with you on this SD, I think it will work great! Brushpiles tend to grow up into lots of things that don't stand a chance in open cover; either due to the protection provided, or because bird droppings plant more there than elsewhere. Either way it works. I haven't bought seed like you did but I do collect a lot of native seed while I'm out goofing and I do actively make brushpiles. Can't hurt to spread what's there...

I did elderberry cuttings again this yr. It worked well enough last yr that I got berries from first yr plants and it's looking like it work on this yr's try also. I really need to try mulberry now!

I hadn't thought about brush piles. I'm taking a big ugly willow down soon, think I just found a spot for the brush!