Fire

It wasn't like it was being done for habitat or even agriculture.It seems when people move to the country they think they can do 2 things,let their dogs run loose and burn trash.The thing people forget that is no matter what if you start a fire you are liable for whatever it causes until it's out.Most rural fire departments spend way more fighting wildland fires than structure fires.
And shooting 100s of rounds of ammo recklessly. We have had 3 bullets go through steel buildings in the last year.

2fee6119e0ed3bf37a334675e7ceb097.jpg

15 acres today. All started with a pitchfork. No sweat…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone say exactly what a burn accomplishes from a soil building, regeneration, and invasive species perspective?

The actual burned plant material adds nitrogen to the soil, right? What else?

Does it actually kill any of the invasives, like buckthorn or Reed Canary Grass?

I’ll be burning “wild” land growing between fields. Much taller dead stuff than the AG field pics above. I have deadfall’s and all manner of low brush. Even some short balsam fir and a few cattails. Seems like a whole different animal from a fuel perspective.

From a habitat appearance perspective, what can I expect to see out of this kind of burn a year later?

Can anyone say exactly what a burn accomplishes from a soil building, regeneration, and invasive species perspective?

Does it actually kill any of the invasives, like buckthorn or Reed Canary Grass?

I’ll be burning “wild” land growing between fields. Much taller dead stuff than the AG field pics above. I have deadfall’s and all manner of low brush. Even some short balsam fir and a few cattails. Seems like a whole different animal from a fuel perspective.

From a habitat appearance perspective, what can I expect to see out of this kind of burn a year later?
From my understanding and experience it will set back succession on mid story and below. Additionally it will clean up the ground allowing sunlight to get to the seed bank which can promote new growth. Different timings can promote forbes or grasses or boil sap killing trees if that’s your goal.

Definitely makes a difference in our pastures highly recommend it if you can do it safely.

Sounds like you have alot of fuel.I would clear a really good fire break around as much as possible.I have 120 ft strips of switch around some fields and I mow the edges and hay rake so it makes it alot easier when burning with the correct humidity and wind.Looks like high winds next week so hopefully everyone that burned brush piles got them out.April first starts the flint hills burn plan so there will at least be a ban on everything except ag including no brushpiles.Out from 230-4am on a rekindle that burnt up an oil field truck around 100K loss now they have to argue who is liable.

It wont kill the grass. I would spray the RCG a couple of weeks after green up and hopefully more native species take over.

These were pretty big flames and a couple look real bad,doesn't usually bother sandhill plums much but these also look pretty crispy.It would help if we got some rain

It adds mostly ash and charcoal to the soil. Ash helps to buffer the pH of the soil and releases some minerals like calcium and potassium. Charcoal holds microorganisms and nutrients, as well as adding some structure to the soil.

We sent trucks to Oklahoma twice in last 4 days,Heard the Mormans bought thousands of acres and thought they had a dozed fireline so they lite it and left.