Fire

buckdeer1

5 year old buck +
Well it finally happened,DA neighbors thought they would burn trash.They don't understand why I was pissed.It could have been alot worse.Lost between 6-10 10ft oaks that I planted and won't know damage to sandhill plums as it was pretty big going through.

Attachments

• fire1.jpg
    fire1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 56
  • fire2.jpg
    fire2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 56
  • fire3.jpg
    fire3.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 56
  • fire4.jpg
    fire4.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 56
  • fire5.jpg
    fire5.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 55
  • fire6.jpg
    fire6.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 57
Ugh. Sorry my man.

That sucks!

Oh wow. Fire season is no joke.

That’s a huge bummer !

They cut a break to get it out?

Man…. That sucks. Irresponsible to say the least. Any idea how or if you will be compensated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they didn't have a burn permit their insurance should be paying you. 6-10 ft oaks should be worth several hundred dollars each.

Well that suxs. Do you know for sure that the oaks are toast?

Here you don't have to have burn permit to burn in a barrel unless theres a burn ban,Luckily since I am fire chief I started enough trucks to jump on the big fire quick.I also called in a couple other departments in case we didn't get a stop on it.Thinking about putting fire breaks along the hay fields.Worse part is besides losing some 8 year old trees is as dry as it is I probably won't have much regrowth.I will call forestry tomorrow to check some values.I know from other wildland fires I have been on,I have seen landowners get 600.00 for a single cedar tree.

No don't know for sure what may live and what won't

Yea that sucks. I was the one who called in the 600 acre fire south of Manhattan on Monday. Going into Manhattan from I70 I thought it looked like fire in the median on a divided 4 lane highway for those of you who dont know the road. Wind was probably gusting to 40mph at the time. Some jackass had thrown a cigarette out the window I am sure. At 1st I thought I wouldnt call it in ..... surely somebody already had. But then I thought better of it, pulled over at the 1st mile marker I saw so I could give them a better location and called it in. No one had called before me! The dispatcher gathered the info and asked me to stay put for a minute while she pinpointed my cell signal to verify my location. By then I could see the fire and jumped out of the median and was already burning the pasture to the east of the highway. Thank goodness KState had already done some prescribed burns in the area and there was a creek drainage the next mile over. Said 16 homes had been in the path of the fire but none were damaged. Had a couple of spray planes dumping water on it and a number of fire trucks. Wished I had a fire extinguisher at the time, but under the conditions dont think I could have stopped it from spreading.

Send them a bill for the damage !!

Get estimates for a tree spade service to replace the damaged trees of equal size and send them the bill. Their insurance should pay if it doesn’t file it in small claims court. That will put a stop to irresponsible uncontrolled burning.

How windy was it?

That is why I dont burn. I have probably been to more controlled burning training than most - and I have been on 1000’s of acres of controlled burns. I had one get out on my own place - lucky it went the way it did or it would have got the neighbor’s house. I dont burn anymore.

That’s does suck.

Fire scares me. I’ve done very small burns with big breaks but is still scares me..

So they were doing a controlled burn? Or burning trash and not being vigilant?

Burning trash but too stupid to put a screen over top of barrel to keep embers from burning.It was blowing 16-20MPH. My farm is right on the county line and in the county farm is is you have to call and get permit but no restrictions unless burn ban or red flag day.In county across the road where most of our fire distrrict is we