Fertilizing crabs/apples now?

Derek Reese 29

5 year old buck +
Weird question for early summer, but is it still ok to fertilize around apple trees that have been in the ground for 1+ year (most planted March/April 2021)?
Or should I just wait and do it next spring? Most of them are doing very well. Just to name a few of the varieties (in case it matters): Antonovka, Dolgo, Liberty, Redfield, Arkansas Black, Chesnut, Kerr, Goldrush, Galarina, Virginia Crab, 30-06, Droptine, Gray Ghost, Wickson, Sheepnose, Crossbow, Winter Gold, Eliza's Choice...whew didn't realize there were so many).
This Kerr crab was one of the smallest to begin with but is looking good now, even without fertilizer.
Also..how much should I fertilize..(as in amount to spread around each tree).
IMG_6527[1].JPG

Last edited:
I just fertilized mine about 3 days ago before a big rain. I planned to fertilize them again first part of July. I’ll be following these responses.

Most pro info I've read advises to not fertilize beyond mid-June. That's so any new growth triggered by the fertilizer has a chance to "harden off" before frosts and cold in the fall.

For smaller young trees, I just sprinkle a modest handful of 10-10-10 around the edges of my cages so the roots want to expand out to the fertilizer - enlarging the root base.

Not sure what apple variety that is in the pic - and I am dang sure no apple expert - but that tree’s foliage looks awfully light colored/yellow to me

Not sure what apple variety that is in the pic - and I am dang sure no apple expert - but that tree’s foliage looks awfully light colored/yellow to me
hence the fertilizer question!! a few of them are showing a few yellow leaves and I have some pretty wet soil in spots...(that picture is one of them)

I fertilize in April or may.

I am in zone 3b, and with our short growing season I aim for bloomtime. But wont fertilize after July 4th. I decided my trees are taking an off year for fertilizer. They have been putting on a lot of growth the last few years, so I wont complain if they slow down a bit.

I think you are fine to fertilize yet, use a quarter to half cup around the drip line of triple ten or whatever you can find that is close to that.
Myself on the tree in pic I would clip some of that low stuff on it too and get the energy going up.

If you have wet soil you may have low pH as well. I would get a soil test, as you might need to lime in order for the trees to utilize the fertilizer.

I’ve always used Stark Brother fertilizer on new 1,2 year old trees. It’s called stark brothers tree pep fertilizer. I believe it’s a slow release fertilizer. You can use it every 10 days in the growing season ( 1 tablespoon per a gallon of water). Stop using it in July it says. It’s never harmed my trees. It has N-P-K.

Maybe you could put something on with less "N". 5-10-10 and go light on the amount.

If you have wet soil you may have low pH as well. I would get a soil test, as you might need to lime in order for the trees to utilize the fertilizer.
I know it is in the high 5s pH wise in some of the spots..I could add some lime around the trees too!

Ironite maybe what you need.

Ironite maybe what you need.
I have never heard much about it (I'm new to the game though)...can/will it burn if mixed in with the fertilizer? I was just gonna use 10-10-10 or something close to that...

I have a soft maple in my yard that turns yellow and has poor growth so I started using ironite around it. I have also dug holes around the base of it and buried garden sulfur. Mine is suffering from a iron deficiency. Yours may have a different issue causing the yellowing.

Might just try the fert for now...the yellow leaves on most of the other trees are few and far between, I just thought this little Kerr had lighter colored leaves!

The older, mature leaves further down on the tree look darker green to me. Usually the NEWER growth shoots on trees look lighter in color than older leaves. The darker leaves lower on your tree in the pic would suggest the tree isn't lacking in nutrients. If it was my tree, I'd just hit it with a light sprinkling of 10-10-10 and see what happens in a month.

The older, mature leaves further down on the tree look darker green to me. Usually the NEWER growth shoots on trees look lighter in color than older leaves. The darker leaves lower on your tree in the pic would suggest the tree isn't lacking in nutrients. If it was my tree, I'd just hit it with a light sprinkling of 10-10-10 and see what happens in a month.
Every leaf on that tree is brand new from this year, so I didn't want to over do it...I was thinking along the same lines...thanks Bows!

I was thinking if the tree was really deficient in nutrients - every leaf would be lighter / yellowish in color. The seedlings I got from Sandbur had their first leaves emerge this spring along the main trunk. They were darker green than the NEW growth at the top of the trees, which started out a paler shade of green. The NEW growth turned darker green as time went on, and the newer shoots are now the same color as the rest of the trees. I'm no expert - that's just what I observed here.

The newer growth on the trees at camp is lighter in color than the leaves on established "hard" wood as well. FWIW.

Yellowing generally is low for nitrogen. Typical tree fertilizer is 20-10-5.. If you have frequent access to where the tree is, water it with regular miracle grow. I do a scoop to a 2.5 gal watering can. 2 scoops in a 5 gallon water cooler jug.

You can do both.

When I water when the tress aren't getting any from mother nature. Most times I use the miracle grow. Remeber, when they're low on water, they're also low on providing nutrients.

I try to water when it's dry, even if it going to rain the next day. I think giving it some water wakes them up to absorbing nutrients better. I try to water 5 days after a decent rain. in june-august I wait 3 days after a light rain.