Fabric Pots giving me headaches

Cap'n

5 year old buck +
I'm having a hell of a time getting my seedlings out of these dang fabric pots. (1 gal ) I planted about 1/2 my seedlings in milk cartons and the rest in these brown fabric pots. The problem is the roots grow into the seams of the bottom and the side and they are impossible to get out with out messing up the root ball. Nice root system but by the time you get the tree out 1/2 the media is off. The cartons though are simple because you can just peal it off like a banana and the whole root ball is left intact. Anyone have this happen?

Take a box cutter and slice the seams on the bottom in an "X"
Make several longitudinal slices down the sides then plant the pot
Seems to work well for me

boll

Take a box cutter and slice the seams on the bottom in an "X"
Make several longitudinal slices down the sides then plant the pot
Seems to work well for me

boll
I guess Im going to have to do that. I bought the better one that are supposed to last 2-3 years but if you have to kill the tree to get them out it ain't worth it. I thought about taking a long bladed knife and run it around the inside and see it that does it. Other wise i'll just do like you said. Now the walmart bags i planted in are literally falling apart, They could be planted in the ground with the bottom and sides slashed.

I guess Im going to have to do that. I bought the better one that are supposed to last 2-3 years but if you have to kill the tree to get them out it ain't worth it. I thought about taking a long bladed knife and run it around the inside and see it that does it. Other wise i'll just do like you said. Now the walmart bags i planted in are literally falling apart, They could be planted in the ground with the bottom and sides slashed.
I use one gallon root pouch bags and just plant whole thing in the ground. Roots grow through them with ease and in a few years the bag is gone.

I use one gallon root pouch bags and just plant whole thing in the ground. Roots grow through them with ease and in a few years the bag is gone.
Yeah I was looking at those on gardenersedge. That looks like to best route to take. Thanks

They do may biodegradable bags that you plant with the tree. Those kind of issues are why I opted for RB2s. They are very easy to plant from. They are more expensive but last for many, many seasons.

I found some that I’m going to give a try. Not really expensive either. I’m going to try to figure out a better way to remove the trees from the bags I have but I’m waiting until after the rut to continue to plant trees so we shall see.