Elevated 6x6 Hunting shack

cdd1d0efeeab295791a528409a3979f8.jpg

Here is what the base looked like after our trial run tipping it over in the yard. I don't recommend doing this. Just cut the steps "in the field" lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I would like to build one of those for the ground so I could just drive my track chair into it. Need a lot of trees cleared first on my little piece of property. And than a nice little food plot to get some folks to stop on by.

Well, I shot a descent one out of the shack this year. Really great time hunting out of it and so happy I did it.

29a025657d39396299c729aecbc3e7e1.jpg

91f876ac070bf73b5b924c96130d4e4e.jpg

736ccb3249f6140d4641a93c2afaa85b.jpg

Nice buck!

Funny right

Funny right

Not going to lie, I've never seen someone black out their hands before.... Interesting.

Not going to lie, I've never seen someone black out their hands before.... Interesting.

I got some humor from it when I was drawing it up..... Especially since my picture in my avatar is nearly the same one.

I got some humor from it when I was drawing it up..... Especially since my picture in my avatar is nearly the same one.

I was thinking the same thing about your avatar.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You have the roof tin running the wrong way.......

I think that's an optical illusion thingy. I thought it might be too until I looked closer. The angle of the pic makes the pitch look different than it is.

I think that's an optical illusion thingy. I thought it might be too until I looked closer. The angle of the pic makes the pitch look different than it is.

Well, depends who says what is right. I pitched it away from the door and steps so it wouldn't drip/runoff on the deck and steps and freeze the door shut in the winter time.

Wait till I update with the second one I'm building. I've got some plans to reduce costs. I did a little research. Here's some material previews lol

Anybody know what these are?

dcbfaa88d20ac8821a3f7636740aa3d8.jpg

Last edited:
Well, depends who says what is right. I pitched it away from the door and steps so it wouldn't drip/runoff on the deck and steps and freeze the door shut in the winter time.

No that's not it. The pic in Post number 7 makes it look like the roof is pitched towards the basketball net. If it were the metal would be on wrong. But it's not. Just an illusion.

No that's not it. The pic in Post number 7 makes it look like the roof is pitched towards the basketball net. If it were the metal would be on wrong. But it's not. Just an illusion.

Oh funny. I worked residential construction for many summers in high school and college so if I made a mistake like that, there would be no good excuse.

How much did it cost to build?

How much did it cost to build?

After all was said and done it had to be close to $900. The lumber/tin/fasteners from Menard's was $690 or something with the 11% off. Then plexy, hinges, extra crap blah blah blah. I built steps instead of a ladder which was like another $125 or so bucks. But I have older friends and family who love hunting and young kids. I remember telling my wife I wasn't going to build one like this again with my other time demands, and that if I do it again I should just buy one.

BUT.......

I'm going for a cheaper method for versions #2-#5. My friends, family and I hunted in that shack so much I want more.

I looked around and tried to pull the trigger on a 5x5 or 6x6 manufactured but they are not cheap.

Last edited:
Now all you need is a couple of good cloth office chairs and a small catalytic (I believe is the right term)propane heater to use. the heaters are the ones they use in tents, no carbon monoxide fumes. looks nice.

Freezer panels

I agree, look too thin for freezer panels?

Either way where the heck did you get them?

I got -21- 20'x2'x2" insulated garage door panels.... all for $200. You can cut these commercial ones down to any size to custom fit your door. I'll be cutting these down to custom fit and build my hunting shacks!!!

I got them off craigslist near Appleton, WI. Long drive but worth it.

Oh and the best part, -3- of these panels already have the windows in them. I didn't know about that before picking them up.