Elevated 6x6 Hunting shack

alldaysit

5 year old buck +
Well I decided to pull the trigger on building a hunting shack for my property. As I have a young daughter and wife that will possibly go from time to time. And, I like the idea of being capable of hunting in any weather condition if the wind is right. I've built several such shacks over the years but for family members and all different.

I decided to go with a 6'x8' frame with a 2' or so "porch" using 2x8s and 3/4 treated plywood. I will be using the elevator brackets with 12' 4x4's.

I will be copying the Shadow Hunter window style with an outer rugged and solid "window" frame on hinges, and inner plexiglass "window" on a piano hinge. Details to come at a later date.

I will try and document the process and do it in real time.

Making a 6'x8' platform out of green 2x8's:
b9ec47a4db97deceb92aa79ce4690456.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bought one too few 2x8s and will finish the floor/base up tomorrow hopefully.

53d772e41026e50607f968cfc7a6d7b4.jpg

The load from Menards.

Bought one too few 2x8s and will finish the floor/base up tomorrow hopefully.

That's just the way with any project. By 5th trip to the supply store I'm frustrated. :D

That is exactly how I started mine out (in my avatar). Used a utility pole truck to install four poles and set the box on top. Hate to think how many trips I made to home stores.

Well, I found a green treated 2x6 and installed it in place of the missing 2x8 . Took some breaks and got this far.
66282278d8af4772fdd76a0ab87a5e3d.jpg

Excited for tomorrow to see how far I get. Going at this by myself so it takes time.

7b0750a0be07fed2dd7c55ffd188bbd8.jpg

Put some more work in on Sunday! Gonna get the outer Windows put together Wednesday and a painting party on Thursday after work if it ain't raining.

Looks good. I am in the middle of building one as well. I built in sections, and lifted them up. I dont have a way to lift the entire thing up assembled.

Looks good. I am in the middle of building one as well. I built in sections, and lifted them up. I dont have a way to lift the entire thing up assembled.

That's what I have done as well. Each section is currently lag bolted to the next. I'll be putting it up in sections as well.

Nice!
I'm going to do something similar in a few years when I get some grand kids and I get older. I'm wanting to put up a box blind on stilts with stairs that is comfy and can have a heater in it.
These are great threads to get ideas from!

I'm guessing you could dunk off that roof. :)

Looks great!

I'm thinking I could as well! Got hit by a summer flu Wednesday morning and started feeling a little better this evening. Got a little work done and will update tomorrow or Sunday.

Your stand look great

Your stands look great but I have one question. Why did you make the windows that large? It would seem it would make it a lot easier to bust you. I am just starting construction of two new single man boxes and am trying to figure out what I want to do about the window/opening. I am thinking only tall enough to get the rifle out easily and see what needs to be seen. Maybe 12" is kinda what I am thinking.

Your stands look great but I have one question. Why did you make the windows that large? It would seem it would make it a lot easier to bust you. I am just starting construction of two new single man boxes and am trying to figure out what I want to do about the window/opening. I am thinking only tall enough to get the rifle out easily and see what needs to be seen. Maybe 12" is kinda what I am thinking.

Great question

I measured the difference and built them for shooting sitting down with a rifle and standing up and shooting a bow.

I am not a bow hunter so had not thought of that.

Nice. Did I miss how you are getting it up on the posts?

on the back edge of your roof. Install a drip line, will save you a headache longer down the road. looks good. Big windows!! I had one with big windows until the deer started to silhouette me. I reduced to smaller ones. But, still looks great, to each his own. I like it no matter what.

Thanks everyone.

I'll get that drip edge installed. I didn't think about that and it's cheap insurance.

I'm putting the base on the elevator brackets with lag bolts, cross bracing it all with lag bolts, then rolling it over in place with the tractor, and adjust the legs and bracing as necessary once it's in the air. Then each section will go in the bucket and lift it up to the base for install. Obviously I'm putting the steps up first.

The roof isn't to bad for weight. I was thinking I will install three sides, lag bolt them to the floor and two walls, then put the roof up, then install the last wall and lag bolt it all together from inside the blind.

Got it painted with gray last night and will be adding some pines to the corners. My plan for the outer Windows is to use a rope system. More on that in a few days.

0da09217411081459c8e33f9eeed3a33.jpg

Looking great!

a1d8cd90ba0021066761e2935811ea27.jpg

Got it up and out. I'll be finishing it off next week.