Dropping acorns

bodie

Yearling... With promise
When planting my fall food plots over the holiday weekend i noticed acorns on the ground already. Some were still green and rather small, while others were fully developed and mature. I am in northwest indiana and the area is heavily wooded. The soil is sandy. I am in the process of performing TSI, but have a ways to go. We have received more rain than normal this year. The area is approximately 90 acres of woods/forest filled with oaks. You could say that i am blessed/cursed by oaks. The TSI involves thinning the oaks and trying to control the invasive honey-suckle devil. Maybe should have put this in Habitat section but knew you guys would not mind. Has anyone else experienced this early drop?

I am in NW MIssouri, neither the white oaks, Burr Oaks or Red oaks have acorns this year. So we are sucking in that dept. Thanks god the shingle oaks never fail!

I am in NW Wisconsin, and I noticed mine were dumping already last weekend as well. It's not the earliest I have seen them drop, but I like to see them drop in October rather then Early September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When planting my fall food plots over the holiday weekend i noticed acorns on the ground already. Some were still green and rather small, while others were fully developed and mature. I am in northwest indiana and the area is heavily wooded. The soil is sandy. I am in the process of performing TSI, but have a ways to go. We have received more rain than normal this year. The area is approximately 90 acres of woods/forest filled with oaks. You could say that i am blessed/cursed by oaks. The TSI involves thinning the oaks and trying to control the invasive honey-suckle devil. Maybe should have put this in Habitat section but knew you guys would not mind. Has anyone else experienced this early drop?

We typically have a September dip in food plot pictures here in good mast crop years. We typically get a few storms with high winds in September which puts some acorns on the ground. Most fall in October and November in our area. In mast crop failure years, we don't see the picture dip in September.

Thanks,

Jack