Drilled WW/ Oats/Clover/Alfalfa last fall what to do next

WKyGasDoc

5 year old buck +
I drilled The above last fall, this year. let it go . No spray, no mow . Now in Ky with good stands but now dead and great seed heads. gonna drill again something, wanting to move away from herbicide . so will drill into existing stands of produce. I am thinking more clover , and now brassicas (been 3 years since GHR and others) any other suggestions. My planting window is small however 1 week last of July or last 2 weeks of August...Thanks

Last of July is probably to early for brassica in KY. Last of August would be better. What kind of clover and alfalfa is down in the rye.? If it isn't too thick you can just spread brassica and mow rye down over it. If the clover was successfull, it will be rebounding pretty well at the end of summer, and be too much competition for brassica, without spray.

mix of ladino and crimson clover.

I'd throw some oats in. Pure clover and no herbicide is tough. Newer plots could use herbicide more than seasoned areas.

Redoing the same thing isn't bad, just need maybe 1/2 the oats and wheat, because most will be reseeding themselves. Get some in the ground good is cheap insurance for a dry late summer.

Weeds won't kill clover, but they'll take over and be alot more than you'll like in a year or two. Early season spray of light gly in the spring can help immensely with weed problems. To reseed the wheat and oats standing, run a mower in there after the drill.

Alot of guys like rye on here. I am doing about 60lbs of rye and 25lbs of oats and 5lbs of my clover mix. medium red / durana / patriot / a litttle crimson. Usually buy it and stir it in a bucket. Some years more one than another. Have some dutch white in there, but will stop using it. Seems to be too agressive in the late summer against brassicas or even young cereal grains. But, I like dutch white clover for that ears ago. Grow good, guess it can be too good.

You might need something a little more tempting for the deer, if you got competiton with AG crops or other hunter's food plots. Turnips. Find the raddish can handle browsing pressure a bit better, and the deer hold off from eating the roots a bit later. Atleast for me.

Last edited: