Double A Farm (NE Ohio) updates

Looks wonderful weasel! I get alot of blackberrys every year for cobbler and jam. It's worth fighting the snakes and chiggers for them.

Glad I don't have any chiggers & few snakes on my farm. Chiggers are certainly one thing I don't miss from the years I lived in Texas.

wow your fruit trees look great and so does that pie!

Thanks!

I got my brassica mixes all planted the last few days. I'm about 2 weeks earlier than last year which some say is still late but I had a great crop last year despite a dry spell after planting. Another example of keeping records & finding out what works best for your area.

2A8DC573-CE2D-49F8-9973-56EE34983135.jpg

I went with my standard turnip, DER, radish mix & added a little canola seed this year since the local seed dealer had some on hand. I broadcasted some in my thin RR corn & bean plots and also got my hidden plots prepped and seeded with a strip of the same mix down the center. A rye, oat, pea & clover mix will go in around the edges in a few weeks.

Got a good burn down with a previous application of gly on the Stump Plot.

825A7B35-42B5-4658-841E-A13B31DAFD5F.jpg

0E61E333-1D93-42E6-B22B-C3F354F74DF4.jpg

00BDFBE4-8428-4E0C-9198-EE6F7FBFD345.jpg

AF344600-695F-4FDE-AD36-D82576CB6602.jpg

The Old Stand plot got the same treatment.

60010021-080F-4B27-BBBA-995067371214.jpg

5DF29F4B-E9AB-40B7-8125-A649BCF66B1F.jpg

E662F13F-5003-495C-8A38-979F5F64CB0B.jpg

Access road through the timber was getting clogged up with blackberry, elderberry, maple & black gum shoots. We were getting a little beat up on the buggy in spots. Got the hand pruner & folding saw out and took a walk. I left plenty of scrape branches near the sides but it's a much more pleasant ride now. I also kicked a little buckthorn ass, cutting and spraying a few hundred. Local NRCS agent who walked my property with me years ago said the buckthorn wasn't a problem yet but I had to be proactive. Trying to heed his advise after hearing so many horror stories.

774EBA0E-8E42-4824-8B86-CD6FA2E70D37.jpg

Looking good. Those little hunting plots turned up great with the tiller. You can see how the hinge cutting really thickened up the edge. What is your PH on those plots in the timber?

Josh

Looking good. Those little hunting plots turned up great with the tiller. You can see how the hinge cutting really thickened up the edge. What is your PH on those plots in the timber?

Josh

That is fresh edge feathering from this spring too. Incredible growth filled it in nicely. Good to see blackberry & elderberry in the majority of the regen and no buckthorn. I've been adding lime and planting rye/clover the last few years trying to improve the soil. They were 5.7 & 5.9 spring of 2015. Hoping the lime and plantings since have bumped it up.

Everything looks awesome. Nice job.

I like it.......we are still a couple weeks out in planting. Life.

Im jealous of the quality of your soil. .....not sure if it good, but looks good!

That is fresh edge feathering from this spring too. Incredible growth filled it in nicely. Good to see blackberry & elderberry in the majority of the regen and no buckthorn. I've been adding lime and planting rye/clover the last few years trying to improve the soil. They were 5.7 & 5.9 spring of 2015. Hoping the lime and plantings since have bumped it up.

You really cant beat edge feathering. I'm sure that PH has bumped up to a 6.

I like it.......we are still a couple weeks out in planting. Life.

Im jealous of the quality of your soil. .....not sure if it good, but looks good!

My SWCD Conservation Plan shows all of the soil on my farm is some variety of silt loam, which I am very fortunate to have. One of the blessings of owning property in flat, corn & bean country.

Good job with the plantings. Mine are going in this weekend. I've planted last week of July to first of Aug, and the later seems to do better. Our Aug tend to be hot and dry and my plots face the south so I think later with the moisture helps. You are busy as always.

I just love planting brassicas! I hope your deer enjoy them! Good looking plots!

Man I think it was a bumper blackberry crop every where this year. I picked probably 3 gallons off my little patch in my garden. Pie looks good, we make blackberry cobbler alot.

Thanks dogghr, hope your planting went good.

Thanks buck, I've got an update on the plots.

Cobbler sounds good too Chris. I didn't have time to pick any today but I sure grabbed handfuls as I went by.

I planted Stump Plot on Sunday and Old Stand Plot on Monday. Here is what they looked like on Friday. Yep 4 & 5 day germination & growth. And this is $1 to $3 a pound stuff in blank white seed sacks from Ernst Seeds.

487A852D-1FD2-426A-87A9-53293E0C2914.jpg

42865D63-F283-481A-BDBC-8F3669D0CEF3.jpg

A1AA6D3A-CC82-492D-89DD-D2C7A163BBC1.jpg

Man im jealous.. I wanted to get my brassica out 2 weeks ago but couldn't get down to the place but instead have been waiting for a little timely rain the last couple weeks which we haven't had... I don't want to get it in too late, last year I did it at end of July... but I see you planted later last year and still had some giant PTT's haha So that made me feel better.

Man im jealous.. I wanted to get my brassica out 2 weeks ago but couldn't get down to the place but instead have been waiting for a little timely rain the last couple weeks which we haven't had... I don't want to get it in too late, last year I did it at end of July... but I see you planted later last year and still had some giant PTT's haha So that made me feel better.

Good luck. I learned last year that you don't have to stress about timely rain. I planted my brassicas & it didn't rain for at least two weeks. I stressed and stressed but still ended up with a great stand as you saw above.

That looks great! I like every part of your place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That looks great! I like every part of your place.

Thanks WTNUT.

I only had time for a one day trip to the farm over the weekend. 40% chance of rain forecasted turned into 100% on my place. Food plots are enjoying it but it made hanging stands tough.

4833B72F-F69F-4B39-9CA2-1771FBE7867B.jpg

Sunflowers in this bean-sorghum-milo mix are the biggest I have ever gotten. Hoping they continue to leave them alone.

DE3FD38F-D597-429B-AA03-A7869EA4EE4E.jpg

The spotty corn already has some brassicas germinating. I'll be adding rye and oats to these spots too at the end of the month.

A9A8B37C-D040-413B-8A1E-D77F2D35C909.jpg

3C087C3E-9DB4-4C84-9B2E-5D2370D39807.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good! Just a question but what made you decide to do a bean-sorghum-milo mix? Do you think mixing in the milo and sorghum cuts down on some of the deer browse in your beans because it helps hide the beans more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk