Dogs and vaccines

^^^^^^^^^^^
thanks doc!

You have to do your own due diligence... sometimes unscrupulous or just downright ignorant 'breeders' will advertise pups as 'having had all their shots'. Well, depending upon the age of the pup, they may have had all they need - up to that point in time. An 8 wk old pup will have just started its puppyhood vaccination series, while a 16-18 wk old pup - properly vaccinated - would be expected to be protected. Most states don't require or recommend rabies vaccination before 3 months of age.

I just told you guys how we didn't value dogs when we were kids, well I married the opposite. And she started having a litter here and there with our Portuguese Water Dog. Good little cash maker and she loves it. Has 5 presold and the pups arent due til next week. But I lose my wife for about 8 weeks when it all goes down. She's doing neuro response training, and all that nonsense. Kinda cool to see her get into it, but If I had to make a living doing it, I'd go broke.

You have to do your own due diligence... sometimes unscrupulous or just downright ignorant 'breeders' will advertise pups as 'having had all their shots'. Well, depending upon the age of the pup, they may have had all they need - up to that point in time. An 8 wk old pup will have just started its puppyhood vaccination series, while a 16-18 wk old pup - properly vaccinated - would be expected to be protected. Most states don't require or recommend rabies vaccination before 3 months of age.
Is there a certain type of tick treatment/prevention you'd suggest as the better option? There's a few different kinds/brands plus there's the pill option which makes me nervous that the dog eats what will eventually be the repellant and actually has it in their system. Want one that works that is also the safest option for the dog.

So far I've been using Frontline for ticks but it must wear off and become a weaker protection over time? Is frontline good for the full 30 days? When I was younger the only thing on the market that I knew of was the tick collars that you'd have to snap tight a couple of times to activate it. I don't think the collars are too popular any more.

Bravecto is what I use, 1 pill, every 3 months.

Bravecto is what I use, 1 pill, every 3 months.
Do you notice if it gets less effective towards the end of the 3 months or does it work for the full time?

Do you notice if it gets less effective towards the end of the 3 months or does it work for the full time?
I have heard others say this, but I havent noticed anything like that. You will still find a few ticks, but they will be dead.

During summer, our dog will swim in the pond or creek multiple times a day; winter, she holds that down to once or twice a day. Topicals and collars(Seresto) are short-lived in that sort of situation. Bravecto is our go-to.