Lost my best friend

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I have always hated reading other posts like this, and in fact I would usually avoid them, because I didnt want to think about the day I would have to deal with it.

Yesterday morning I woke up, and my male lab Blue was struggling to breath. He was 13.5yo, and he had some medical issues, and I could see him going down hill the past few months. I had to bring him to the vet, and I had to have him put down. It was the hardest thing I ever did. I have had several dogs in my life, but he was my first pet, he was the first dog I allowed indoors, he went with me everywhere. He was an awesome pheasant hunter the first 9 years of his life. After that he was just my best friend. I have a huge hole in my life right now, but I am going to fight the urge to want a replacement. I still have one house dog, and she is almost 12yo. I think I will be taking a break from pets after she is gone. I cant imagine going through another loss of pets on purpose.

I am not looking for any sympathy, its more just a little talk out loud, and a small tribute to someone that was a big part of my life for almost 14 years.
Dogs are like kids, in fact I think I liked my dogs more then my kids some days.

You're my boy Blue!

I believe horses live way too long.

Dogs not near long enough.

I lost two older dogs this year.

Grumpy…one of them .is pictured in the avatar

got a pup about three months ago.

her name is twiglet!

Attachments

• 6F8A5274-132B-4780-8FDB-994DD3784DE7.jpeg
    6F8A5274-132B-4780-8FDB-994DD3784DE7.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 12
Sorry to hear about Blue. Losing a beloved dog just crushes you. I've lost a few labs too. I would always seek consolation in the knowledge that I gave my dogs the best life a dog could have. I'm sure you gave Blue the same.

Yeah it just sucks the wind out of you.

It’s been years since I’ve had a dog. Just couldn’t do it again after my last and best hunting partner went.

Sux, I know. Had to say goodbye to my lab a week before her 14th birthday which coincidentally was the pheasant opener in WI last fall. Anyone that doesn't get teary eyed saying goodbye to their furry friend ain't human.

6.years ago yesterday I had to put my first lab down at 15 years old. Last March had to put the second one down at 7 years old. No matter how old, you are never ready for it. I still miss them both . Hang in there man. It's never easy.

It always about kills me. Every damn time. I feel for you.

But then I get another one anyway. For me, honoring my previous Friends in my next Friend somehow helps.

I also take comfort in believing that my dogs are more loved and cared-for than most.

Sorry man!! Hate to hear that!

Sorry to hear about Blue. It’s tough duty for sure. I had to have my big goofy lab Drake put down a couple years ago and it still stings but I guess gets a little easier with time. Hang in there and think about all the good times you spent with your boy blue knowing you gave him a great life.

It is small dumb triggers getting to me now. I take my other dog (Emma) outside, and see one of Blue's poops, both of my labs needed medication, I went to give them this morning, and grabbed his to give to him, when I went to feed Emma I grabbed another scoop to feed Blue. His collar is hanging on the chair, I dont want to move it, but when I see it, it hurts. I had to move my wifes car, which we used to bring Blue to the vet, that got to me. I know it is good I am remembering him, but it is overwhelming at times.

Sorry man. Been there. It's a very hard thing to do.

Mine is 10 and laying on the floor,shes not doing well and doesn't go in the truck with me anymore as she just can't move good enough.I know the time is coming but I know I want another dog.Don't know what kind but maybe alittle smaller than a lab. Sorry to hear about yours.

4wandering, your thread about Blue reminded me of this song by a local musician up here in Massachusetts I used to listen to and see play live when I was in college in the 90's. Great song. Though it will probably tug on the heart strings.

I believe most of us have been there and it really takes a big chunk out of your life when you lose your habitat/hunting buddy

Really sorry for your loss

bill

Made my heart heavy reading about your loss, said a small prayer for you and Blue. I was kinda like Bill when I lost Buddy, my rabbit hunting beagle. No desire to get another, couldn't have the emotional investment like I had with Buddy.
Then my wife surprised me with a beagle pup about 6 months later, against my wishes. (you know how wives are I'm sure) and let me tell you, little Piper was what I needed.

We lost my wife’s dog a year and a half, she was 13. Now we lost Blue, he was 13.5, we have one more, Emma, and she is almost 12, with medical issue. Lots of sadness the last couple years, and knowing we will have another one more then likely in the next couple years.

I am not saying I don’t want another dog, but I think we will take a break for a little while to get our minds straight, or at least until our hearts decide it is time.

Sorry for your loss. I lost my dog also named Blue last year. They sure give us unconditional love.