Deer hanging pole

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I am finally going to build a hanging pole for deer. What is the best way to build one? Do you have pictures that you can post?

How high does the post need to be?

I can get some unused telephone poles, I was thinking just put 2 4-5 feet in the ground, and put a 6x6 across the top, then some pulleys on the 6x6?

Last edited:
Before it blew down, we used to hang our deer in a lean-to that was built essentially like you are describing. I would put a couple angle braces on it. I don’t remember the exact height, but we needed an 6’ ladder to get a rope up there so probably 9-10’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These Simpson “hitching post” brackets are rustic and strong, and ideal for attaching the top post to the vertical posts using 6x6 lumber. Bend them to fit, and use 3" large lag screws. I think the picture is of the 4", but they make a 6" version. I would also drill a piece of rebar into the supports and top post for extra stability. As for for how high, if you are wanting the pole to prevent critters such as coyotes and dogs from the deer, you will need to go 12-14’.

IMG_0221.jpeg

Last edited:
I am finally going to build a hanging pole for deer. What is the best way to built one? Do you have pictures that you can post?

How high does the post need to be?

I can get some unused telephone poles, I was thinking just put 2 4-5 feet in the ground, and put a 6x6 across the top, then some pulleys on the 6x6?
Are you talking about a skinning post, skinning shed?

Here's one I built few years back. Can't get much easier -- swingset brackets ordered from amazon and then used 12' long lumber so it would be tall enough to lift deer and hogs to varying working levels. Installed winch brackets on both sides so can clean two animals at a time (often trap multiple hogs when they're around).

106899572_10223341934272070_3808689954606434634_o.jpg

2 3/8” pipe - A frame. 15 ft tall with electric winch to pull the deer up and skin all at the same time

This is what I made for hanging deer. You could use it for skinning too. Couple of 6x6's and a 2x10 across the top. Then I lagged a barn door track to the bottom of the 2x10 and made up 5 trolleys with hooks on them. A winch with a brake mounts on the right hand leg and the cable goes through the two pulleys so it pulls the deer up in the middle. Put a looped rope around the deers neck hoist it up, hook it on the trolley that's farthest to the left and let the hoist down to hang on the hook. Slide it over to the left and get ready for the next four deer. I think the bottom of the 2x10 is about 12 feet off the ground.

Attachments

• Deer Pole (2).jpg
    Deer Pole (2).jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Deer Pole (3).jpg
    Deer Pole (3).jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Deer Pole.jpg
    Deer Pole.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 53
I used some 4x6 treated posts and put them about 5 feet into the gound. Put about 3 bags of sackrete in each hole when we put it up. The cross bar is also 4x6.....and was the most difficult to put up. I have a couple of chains at the top but only one winch.

We can drive my UTV through the poles with the (Polar) meat trailer following. I suppose its six feet between the upright poles. Then hoist up the deer and we gut it into the meat trailer below. Then take the guts and all to a dump site and wash out the trailer with a few gallons of water and a broom. Keeps the food plots and blind areas free from too much kill scent and allows us to hunt it again.....even that same day. We all like gutting the deer via this method as we have all the tools nearby and it's so much easier, cleaner, and faster.

By winching it high we can transfer the winch or deer from one chain to another if we have two or three deer to hang....using the single winch.

I cannot remember the exact height.....but we can keep our deer about 4 feet off the ground if we want to hang them overnight. Seems very sturdy. Wish I had a little better pic.
buck pole.jpeg

IMG_9188.jpeg

Has to be tall to pull hide of with electric winch - 15 feet

Ours should be taller, but it’s a roof covering 2 buck poles. It has a balance beam between the poles. We use eye hooks for hangers and custom made orange hanging ropes with a hook on one end.

Attachments

• IMG_0520.png
    IMG_0520.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0522.png
    IMG_0522.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
I converted an old basketball hoop. There are three 4x6's in the ground, presumably concreted in, with the center 4x6 reaching 10' high. Then a 4x4 on top. I put an eye hook into the backside of the 4x4 and just used that.

But then I needed to butcher a Jersey steer, so it needed some strengthening. I bent a couple of 90 degree braces out of 3/8" thick steel for support, and also added a couple of 2x8's. The steer pushed it's limits but it held up.

I have a couple of pulleys with game hanging gambrels, which work fine. But for big ones I use a manual chain hoist from Harbor Freight.
d4fc066635532716598241449e34cd02.jpg
8571557edee8b254fe3028cf244d5809.jpg
f670dddba95c6d9906c9a891c6d4beed.jpg
e6517da09bdb8c5ae0bd6d66524a4991.jpg
171df69ceb80e2417519a81a135947d3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Here's one I built few years back. Can't get much easier -- swingset brackets ordered from amazon and then used 12' long lumber so it would be tall enough to lift deer and hogs to varying working levels. Installed winch brackets on both sides so can clean two animals at a time (often trap multiple hogs when they're around).

View attachment 56781

So is this portable then? Not dug into the ground? This sounds really simple, and would solve my issue of, not exactly sure where I want it yet.

So is this portable then? Not dug into the ground? This sounds really simple, and would solve my issue of, not exactly sure where I want it yet.
EXACTLY one of the key reasons I made it that way.... wasn't 100% sure on the location I picked and figured I could move it if I wanted to do so later.

Will try to share links below to the main components...

First the swing set metal brackets
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M28VV0N

600lb capacity boat winch
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WC4BXMH

Snatch block the winch wire runs through
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JMOVSO

Heavy-duty gambrels to hold up game
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CE49CFO

Did use a few other small pieces of hardware such as heavy stainless steel eyebolts, washers, nuts, and heavy-duty carabiner clips to hold up the snatch blocks and carabiner clips to hook up the gambrels as well. Also keep a couple of thin ropes tied up to each post as it allows me to tie up the legs of whatever I'm cleaning to keep it from swinging if I'm skinning / butchering and want to keep it in a fixed position. 👍

Have cleaned a pile of game in the 3 years since I built it including over 70 hogs and occasionally cleaning two at a time with thanks to friends willing to help if given a pig. Winch wire is rusting a bit, but still functional and in general plenty sturdy for use cleaning 2 big critters at a time.

Last edited:
EXACTLY one of the key reasons I made it that way.... wasn't 100% sure on the location I picked and figured I could move it if I wanted to do so later.

Will try to share links below to the main components...

First the swing set metal brackets
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M28VV0N

600lb capacity boat winch
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WC4BXMH

Snatch block the winch wire runs through
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JMOVSO

Heavy-duty gambrels to hold up game
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CE49CFO

Did use a few other small pieces of hardware such as heavy stainless steel eyebolts, washers, nuts, and heavy-duty carabiner clips to hold up the snatch blocks and carabiner clips to hook up the gambrels as well. Also keep a couple of thin ropes tied up to each post as it allows me to tie up the legs of whatever I'm cleaning to keep it from swinging if I'm skinning / butchering and want to keep it in a fixed position. 👍

Have cleaned a pile of game in the 3 years since I built it including over 70 hogs and occasionally cleaning two at a time with thanks to friends willing to help if given a pig. Winch wire is rusting a bit, but still functional and in general plenty sturdy for use cleaning 2 big critters at a time.
What length lumber did you use?

Really as simple as it gets. I’ve used one of these for a few years
B12AC997-B00E-4971-81AC-D74AE65E9A50.png

That’s what I do, but I don’t have to lift mine that high…….😂😂😂
We like to lift ours pretty high at night and we sometimes tie a piece of clothing on the carcass too. Keeps the coyotes away.

I like those swing set brackets......and likely would do that if I were building again. I once had a "portable" tripod like that shown above.....and it was made of two pieces aluminum tubes that were snagged to fit together.....thus about 12 feet high. Was really nice for western hunts and for deer camps on public land. I wonder what I did with that thing???