Deck Over Vs Standard Equipment Trailer

PrairieShadow

5 year old buck +
Looking at buying a new trailer for hauling all tractor and implements around. What are your guy's opinions on a conventional trailer vs a deckover trailer? Looking at 22'-24' range.

Give me the pros and cons of each.

Thanks

If you have a full size tractor, it probably wont fit between the fenders of a regular trailer.
A regular trailer isnt as tall, and the angle to drive on isnt as high, so it makes driving on and off easier, assuming it isnt a full size tractor.

If you have a full size tractor, it probably wont fit between the fenders of a regular trailer.
A regular trailer isnt as tall, and the angle to drive on isnt as high, so it makes driving on and off easier, assuming it isnt a full size tractor.
Good point. My kubota is a m7060. It fits in the dump trailer right now. I like the lower angle of loading/unloading when my drill is on the 3pt.

Go deck over. Just going off my buddy has a JD 5065 tractor that is probably the same class as your kubota and with normal rear wheel spacing it is several inches too wide compared to my 12,000 lb utility trailer that is right at 7 ft between fenders. Weight capacity is not a concern, just frame sizes get a bit wider on the tractors one size up from the 40-50 hp class rigs like my own tractor.

Besides not sure I have seen utility style trailers get much longer than 22 ft.

well I think it comes down to what will you be hauling and what does it all weights
there are pro's and con's to both, pending what will be hauled on it
and keep in mind, that many states require a added credential on your drivers lic once you start towing over 9999 lbs, so are you ready to add that to your drivers lic and the added costs that come with it
as MOST deck over trailers will start at 12/14,000 lbs and go up
and deck overs have steeper loading , and higher center of gravity ,
so pending gain what your loading
most between the wheel trailers have lower deck heights, lower angles to load, and go up to about 14,000 lbs, but even these trailers in many states, require more than your standard drivers lic if you get one made to haul over 9999 lbs!

for skid steers I like the lower deck and load loading angles, when getting into larger machines, the deck overs get my vote!
but again, really the deal with trailers is getting one that can handle the weights of what you want to put on it!

Get a deck over and just pay a little more to have the ramps made a little longer. It will help with the angle on loading/unloading but should not be a problem with your tractor. I do have some issues with my Kubota L4600

That deck over works better for wide equipment like cultipackers and wide drills.

well I think it comes down to what will you be hauling and what does it all weights
there are pro's and con's to both, pending what will be hauled on it
and keep in mind, that many states require a added credential on your drivers lic once you start towing over 9999 lbs, so are you ready to add that to your drivers lic and the added costs that come with it
as MOST deck over trailers will start at 12/14,000 lbs and go up
and deck overs have steeper loading , and higher center of gravity ,
so pending gain what your loading
most between the wheel trailers have lower deck heights, lower angles to load, and go up to about 14,000 lbs, but even these trailers in many states, require more than your standard drivers lic if you get one made to haul over 9999 lbs!

for skid steers I like the lower deck and load loading angles, when getting into larger machines, the deck overs get my vote!
but again, really the deal with trailers is getting one that can handle the weights of what you want to put on it!
Many states have over 10k trailer rule for cdl for personal use like Commiefornia and many do NOT. Just find out what applies to where you live. My state does not. Also not part of this conversation but RV and 5th wheel travel trailers have exceptions to 10k so not a hard and fast rule even in Commiefornia.

Can guarantee however that a tractor that size with a loader, loaded rears, and any implements will be well over 10k weight on trailer capacity since the trailer itself is part of total.

Just about every state has rule if a commercial vehicle is pulling trailer over 10k lbs that cdl is required. So if you have some small business that truck is registered to be aware of this.

Last edited:
Many states have over 10k trailer rule for cdl for personal use like Commiefornia and many do NOT. Just find out what applies to where you live. My state does not. Also not part of this conversation but RV and 5th wheel travel trailers have exceptions to 10k so not a hard and fast rule even in Commiefornia.

Can guarantee however that a tractor that size with a loader, loaded rears, and any implements will be well over 10k weight on trailer capacity since the trailer itself is part of total.

Just about every state has rule if a commercial vehicle is pulling trailer over 10k lbs that cdl is required. So if you have some small business that truck is registered to be aware of this.
yes every state is different, I just wanted to point it out , so anyone considering things doesn't buy a trailer past what there Drivers lic is legal for,
and find out the hard way with a fine or worse, if in an accident and not having correct credentials

in my state a basic DL doesn't allow to tow over 10k
but you'd be surprised how many folks do so and either don't know or don't care! or that is till they get a fine HAHA!
have a weight check station a few miles from my one place,
and I see State troopers nabbing folks all the time in summer time, hauling skid steers and small excavators, easy money for the troopers! it seems!~

An added benefit of a deck over is it easily hauls logs.

I wish I didn't have wheel and fenders sticking above my deck. Hauling a tractor with a RM990 mower is a pin. Tractor fits fine, but I have to position the mower just right. It sticks over the sides. If I don't position it just right, it hits the fenders and bends them.

they have fenders that you can drive over that are pretty durable, and a up grade one can do pretty easy, to help resolve fender tire contact issues/damages!

they have fenders that you can drive over that are pretty durable, and a up grade one can do pretty easy, to help resolve fender tire contact issues/damages!
I've built some tube to go over the fenders on some car hauler type trailers seemed to work OK but if I was picking a new trailer the extra space with my deck over is great the only down side I see is it does sit taller

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Deck over for sure. Far more versatile without the fenders in the way. Loading and unloading materials from the side with forks is also far simpler. I load skid loaders up on mine all the time, no problem if you back it on.
If you aren't real confident operating equipment, there is probably an argument for the easier loading fender trailer.

Deck over for sure. Far more versatile without the fenders in the way. Loading and unloading materials from the side with forks is also far simpler. I load skid loaders up on mine all the time, no problem if you back it on.
If you aren't real confident operating equipment, there is probably an argument for the easier loading fender trailer.
its not always about being confident or competent in loading, some times its just due to design of what is being loaded that it can be unsafe to do so, with much steeper angles, or needing lower center of gravity or height clearance , or many other things
each design of trailer has pr's and con's
, the real answer is pick the trailer that fits your needs or MOST of them

Deck over and don't look back. Other gave enough pro/cons.