Cultipacker options

DRG3

5 year old buck +
I’m looking for opinions and experiences on what folks are using for cultipackers-
What’s the pros and cons of 3 point vs tow behind

how much does one need to weigh to be useful

what are some good commercially available options if I can’t find a used one at auction.

my primary use would be food plots and crp planting.
Thanks in advance

Probably depends on what you have to pull it with. I’ve got a 4’ pull behind for the atv. Works just fine for my needs. I only do a little over an acre in plots though.

I have two pull behind styles for a ATV/UTV.

-Packermaxx PMX4HD (in WI)

-Kunz TP3272 (in MN)

The PackerMaxx is probably my favorite of the two but they both work good. The Kunz can be a pain to flip over and roll onto the receiver of my 4 wheeler for attachment and it's noisy. The Packermaxx is easier to attach and not noisy but I dont think it packs as well. Kunz also does the job quicker because it's two feet wider. Having the wheels on the Kunz is nice because I use it on a few properties that are a few miles apart.

If I could do it again, I would get the PMX6HD from Packermaxx, best of both worlds that I have experienced.

I looked at the Packermaxx. Do you find that it's heavy enough to be effective? I would go with the 6' version, but was concerned about weight.

The weight per foot is higher on the 4' model filled with water vs the 6' model filled with water. I rarely do any deep tilling so I don't need to compress much dirt and I think the Packer Maxx 4' is sufficient for me. You could always fill with sand if you wanted more weight?

I bought one of these last year because it was cheaper than the common 4' ones like king kutter and kunz and has a larger working width. I like it. Design is very close to the king kutter one but i prefer the pin hitch vs 2" ball on the king cutter because you don't have to flip the hitch tongue 180 degrees every time you flip between packing and transporting on wheels. Would like a little more weight but it works well enough for me. They are pretty local to me too.

I could see a heavy 3 pt one being nice too but more $. The little ATV ones are convenient for moving around.

Edit: I want to say it was $750-800 last year which is cheaper than a packer maxx.

Last edited:
I have an old Dunham cultipacker that I had converted to a 3 point hitch.....it's six feet wide. I also have a tow bar for use with an ATV. But now I have quit with tillage.....so it has not rolled in two years.

I am curious if any has any reviews on the packer maxx roller crimper combo.

I am curious if any has any reviews on the packer maxx roller crimper combo.
If you got to YouTube.....you will see lots of reviews on this product. For the money most people seem satisfied with the packer max. Jeff Sturgis is sponsored by this company and touts them as a good deal. No doubt they will work.....but a cultiacker with individual wheels would be better in my book. .....albeit at a higher price. With most of these tools....if you "graduate" to a bigger or better machine.....the used stuff Is still worthwhile to the next guy.