More equipment finds at the farm

I have a 4 row JD 1240 planter. Mine was in rough shape when I got it but it was not too difficult to repair or fabricate new parts. Hardest thing to find was one of the missing drive chains. I'm new here so dont know if posting a website address is allowed but if you are missing chains I found a place that has just about everything. Nice people too.

My 1240 came with just about every plate available. What required the most work was rebuilding the augers in the fertilizer boxes. I had made a new bottom for the tank and new stainless bearings. I had the tank itself lined with spray in bed liner before installing the augers and bearings. I wash it out really well after each use, even if I will be using it the next day. I then spray everything down real good with WD40. Mine also has about 2,000 grease fittings and takes forever to grease them all. LOL If you have a shed or barn to keep it in you wont have as many problems down the road.

I hope you enjoy your new to you equipment.

The bad thing is that most tillage equipment just sits and rusts anymore....at least around here. No-till has taken off and it's difficult to get much above scrap prices for traditional tillage type stuff any more.

I agree with selling some, just watch local sales and the like and make sure you get a fair price. I will say that pump on the sprayer looks really new and those can be a couple hundred bucks brand new.... Check around the area and the like as someone may have an annual consignment auction or the like to help you move/sell some of it.

Old Ford and Ferguson 3 point discs bring a premium around here. Last one I sold I got 800 bucks for it and was rough. Lucky for me I got it thrown in for free with a thousand dollar tractor i bought the week before :) I'm mostly no-till now but I sure do find it relaxing to go disc a acre or two with a disc and tractor that's been in family for 3 generations. When scrap was high about ten years ago you'd see many discs and cultipacker in the scrap piles, kinda sad.

The bad thing is that most tillage equipment just sits and rusts anymore....at least around here. No-till has taken off and it's difficult to get much above scrap prices for traditional tillage type stuff any more.

I agree with selling some, just watch local sales and the like and make sure you get a fair price. I will say that pump on the sprayer looks really new and those can be a couple hundred bucks brand new.... Check around the area and the like as someone may have an annual consignment auction or the like to help you move/sell some of it.

Around here, things that have a place in no-till like cultipackers are hard to find and they go for top dollar.

Thakns,

Jack