Dealing with Early antlerless Seasons and Intensive Harvest in Minnesota

Landowner doe tags.

Issued in counties that have good deer numbers. No restrictions on them such as you must allow public hunting, landowner may use the tag on his farm only.
We need something on a more localized basis. Whole counties do not need landowner tags.

This info direct from Telander last August

Speaking of Telander..... Where has that guy been on the deer scene for the past several months??

Good old Bob Marg.... What a piece of work.

If you want to spend a few hours digging through the budget...all that information is there.

This info direct from Telander last August...just under $2.36 million was spent on deer management. Another $1.89 million was "carried forward"...so a total of around $4.24 million was spent or carried forward (I think the amount carried forward was put into the deer feeding/disease management account) on deer in some form another. I forget total deer license revenue, but I believe it was around $18 million....about 24% of that gets used for deer/deer management.

You and I have heard the figures before. Would it bring more attention in a composite report from OLA?

We need something on a more localized basis. Whole counties do not need landowner tags.

It should have been set up this way years ago, and we would not be in this situation. Depredation tags are in a sense a landowner issued tag? It could be localized if necessary.

Thanks, guys for the links and info.

IF this program does not go statewide or at least through out the ag belt, I could see one local manager quickly going back to excess doe permits in 221. Four or five big complainers and the whole unit might be back there.

Good luck to him. He has been castrated from where I sit. Never again will he be given the latitude he once enjoyed. Those days are gone. Realize the change that is on the horizon.

No worries Art. I misunderstood your original intent. I'm all for farmers being able to stand up for themselves. Deer, bear, wolf, seagulls behind the plow, farmer should be able to protect their stuff. There should be a dividing line between protecting your interests and carrying out a war on a critter, directed by a game warden. The smaller and more controlled the extraction, the better.

I am opposed to the willy nilly tag handouts. Document issues. Address proven problems. Handing out tags to landowners is going backwards guys.