CWD and salt/mineral sites

Tamarack

5 year old buck +
I live in an area that has a ban on baiting which also includes salt/minerals. Yet every store that normally did sell it still does. Some by the tons. Same for where our land is further north. It's such a serious issue that anyone can buy it. No warning signs where it's sold or on the packages. Just load up and pretend it's for way up north where there are no restrictions, I guess.

I actually asked the DNR about this awhile back. Nothing they can do about it, they said. Are you pressuring the state or local gov'ts to do so?, I asked. That's not for them, the DNR, to do they said. So it's not really that big of deal- the CWD, is it?, I asked. Crickets.

I'm neutral on the issue. Don't really need the minerals for the antlers imo, just loved setting up cameras at such sites. I see a couple of companies adding humic acid to their products which can supposedly help degrade the prions. I guess they're free to say that as well as sell it anywhere, too.

Anyone here saying screw them, I'm taking my chances(getting caught, too) and putting the stuff out?

Not me. Deer's diets are so diverse and different plants mine different minerals. Minerals, (NPK) belong on food plots, not in piles with salt or sugar to attract deer. Try putting out minerals with no salt or sugar in them. They will sit untouched.

Your DNR does not have jurisdiction over commerce. Farmers use minerals for livestock. Deer farms, where the diet is restricted, need to use minerals. Here, baiting has always been illegal, but many do it. Since CWD, feeding deer is illegal during a large part of the year.

As for pics, small food plots and blackflash with dual lens trail cams have been the inventory solution for me.

Thanks,

Jack

I do cedar tree rubbing posts. Great for inventory, but then you can still argue they spread the disease. Whoopity doo. Wish I could put 1 of the trophy rocks out that they sell at all the local stores, but I don't need to see my name in the paper.

Not me. Deer's diets are so diverse and different plants mine different minerals. Minerals, (NPK) belong on food plots, not in piles with salt or sugar to attract deer. Try putting out minerals with no salt or sugar in them. They will sit untouched.

Your DNR does not have jurisdiction over commerce. Farmers use minerals for livestock. Deer farms, where the diet is restricted, need to use minerals. Here, baiting has always been illegal, but many do it. Since CWD, feeding deer is illegal during a large part of the year.

As for pics, small food plots and blackflash with dual lens trail cams have been the inventory solution for me.

Thanks,

Jack

As I said I don't think they're needed for antler health..or overall health for that matter.
And that was why I asked the DNR why they don't make a big deal about it then. Pressure for restrictions on it's sale etc. If it's that serious. I get email after email from them asking for input or them trying to push something.

That was also brought up by the DNR. Farmers use them- I responded they have their own products they buy. Deer farms- they get an exemption then. My issue with it all is if it's that serious- be serious. Gotta wonder what % of people buying and putting the stuff out even know about the ban. There is absolutely no info on the packages or where it's sold. Even those that just see "no baiting and feeding" in the regulations-I can hear- I'm not feeding, I'm not baiting/hunting over it! Wisconsin's at least you have to look at almost the fine print to see "minerals and salt". It should be HIGHLIGHTED. right after the- no baiting and feeding.

And yeah..I get pics all over with various cams. I'm surviving just fine. Just questioning the seriousness of it all.

Last edited:
I do cedar tree rubbing posts. Great for inventory, but then you can still argue they spread the disease. Whoopity doo. Wish I could put 1 of the trophy rocks out that they sell at all the local stores, but I don't need to see my name in the paper.

I'd be worried about puddles.

Btw..I don't really expect anyone to admit they're...using.

Was just looking at the Wi cwd map. Counties where you can bait etc in-between others that do have the restrictions. Those and even further north- if it's that serious...why not ban it for all.

Last edited:
Heck I asked the DNR why it was okay for a farmer to set a salt block out for cattle yet I couldn't for deer. He just kinda smiled and said that's his livestock. I made the comment if he thought deer didn't use those salt blocks, he was delusional.

Heck I asked the DNR why it was okay for a farmer to set a salt block out for cattle yet I couldn't for deer. He just kinda smiled and said that's his livestock. I made the comment if he thought deer didn't use those salt blocks, he was delusional.

That's another good example. Same for those living in the country or even wooded areas around town that may feed deer intentionally or not. Again, there's no info where you buy bird/critter food, I've yet to see it in the paper if anyone even reads it, etc. It's THAT serious :emoji_thinking:

As I said I don't think they're needed for antler health..or overall health for that matter.
And that was why I asked the DNR why they don't make a big deal about it then. Pressure for restrictions on it's sale etc. If it's that serious. I get email after email from them asking for input or them trying to push something.

That was also brought up by the DNR. Farmers use them- I responded they have their own products they buy. Deer farms- they get an exemption then. My issue with it all is if it's that serious- be serious. Gotta wonder what % of people buying and putting the stuff out even know about the ban. There is absolutely no info on the packages or where it's sold. Even those that just see "no baiting and feeding" in the regulations-I can hear- I'm not feeding, I'm not baiting/hunting over it! Wisconsin's at least you have to look at almost the fine print to see "minerals and salt". It should be HIGHLIGHTED. right after the- no baiting and feeding.

And yeah..I get pics all over with various cams. I'm surviving just fine. Just questioning the seriousness of it all.

There is only so much you can legislate and enforce. There will always be folks that flout the law. Here, we are only talking about deer and potentially losing he sport we love in some areas. Just think about all those folks who refuse to follow COVID guidelines. Many folks are dead as a result yet we don't legislate wearing masks, social distancing, or vaccine shots.

There are some areas where the many will suffer the consequences of the actions of the few.

Thanks,

Jack

Actually many places DID require mask wearing. Businesses were closed. Etc.

I just think if they took it seriously they'd at the very least have it so the information is posted where it's sold, and even on packages. Make it voluntary then. They are not even bothering with asking for that.

I have mineral sites that haven't been retreated since they changed the law that still see use.
(several years)

I think its stupid, there is a licking branch I have a camera on. Every deer around hits it.

and if you're carrying salt for your neighbors cows and it falls out of your truck....try to clean as much of it up as you can.

Actually many places DID require mask wearing. Businesses were closed. Etc.

I just think if they took it seriously they'd at the very least have it so the information is posted where it's sold, and even on packages. Make it voluntary then. They are not even bothering with asking for that.
It is that balance between individual rights, business and the entire community. We complain about big government and over regulation, then we complain because government is not requiring businesses to post warning signs where they sell minerals.

Consider the differences:

CWD: Threatens deer populations...Threatens sport hunting....CWD is similar to a human disease, CJD, but we have in 20 years no confirmed cases of jumping the species barrier, but it could and threaten humans...On the plus side (from a community perspective) Lower deer populations mean less crop damage and fewer deer/car collisions, and potentially less Lyme disease transmission.

COVID: Already killed many older folks. Many hospitalized. Some long-haul effects. Can't think of any positives...

Yes, one is much more serious than the other, but that does not mean CWD is not a big deal if you are a hunter and love the sport. But it is certainly understandable why one is addressed with a heavier hand than the other.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack...I know all about Covid. Lost both of my parents to it. Always wore masks etc. I was just pointing out they DID require masks, closed businesses, etc. Even with mask mandates they still had signs up saying masks are required.

My point is they're not really that serious about CWD. CWD is so serious but we're not even going to ask(not a requirement) that there's information where such products are being sold- not to use it where deer can get at it. Then they leave counties in-between infected counties open for baiting and feeding.

I have mineral sites that haven't been retreated since they changed the law that still see use.
(several years)

I think its stupid, there is a licking branch I have a camera on. Every deer around hits it.

Same here. I'm not about to start digging and hauling away dirt they won't leave alone.

I’m near the original cwd zone in WI. We had some old mineral stations that previous owners had many years ago. Deer still used them some. Local prevalence rates were going up, so we filled them in. We feel that it was the right thing to do. We miss the summer mineral station pictures, but it’s not worth the risk. Similar to another post above, I doubt the mineral helped with antler or herd health. The same can be said for watering holes. They concentrate deer. I’ve let mine go dry the last couple of years. We still get plenty of pictures on trails and scrapes. The hunting is still above average, but the long cwd seasons are starting to take the fun out of it. Luckily, the habitat work is still fun to do.

Jack...I know all about Covid. Lost both of my parents to it. Always wore masks etc. I was just pointing out they DID require masks, closed businesses, etc. Even with mask mandates they still had signs up saying masks are required.

My point is they're not really that serious about CWD. CWD is so serious but we're not even going to ask(not a requirement) that there's information where such products are being sold- not to use it where deer can get at it. Then they leave counties in-between infected counties open for baiting and feeding.

I was just suggesting there is a balance between individual freedom and and government mandates and regulation. Many refused to follow guidelines and mandates during COVID because they felt infringed upon. So, with CWD, a lesser threat, you suggest the DNR is not serious because they have not somehow gone beyond their jurisdictional authority and required businesses to post some kind of signage.

There will always be some who think the government is using too heavy of a hand while others think it is too light. It is tough to strike the right balance. I can't speak to your DNR. Our DWR has done a very good job but stayed in their lane when it comes to CWD. Increased deer farm regulations and inspections, changes in regulations, feeding bans, and more. Yet CWD keeps marching slowly forward.

We have had anti-baiting laws for years. DWR does take it seriously here, but they have limited resources. If a hunter calls in and reports a neighbor baiting, they will address it. The problem is that they have limited game wardens and lots of other priorities.

Thanks,

Jack