All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuddelink 2020 GEN 2 version

On the DPB if it switched over to Bank 2 can I replace the battery's in Bank 1 and then when bank 2 runs low will it switch back to bank 1?

Also how do I reset battery days running 8.0

On the DPB if it switched over to Bank 2 can I replace the battery's in Bank 1 and then when bank 2 runs low will it switch back to bank 1?

Also how do I reset battery days running 8.0
it will switch back to bank 1 if or when the voltage is higher in bank one,. The only way to reset battery days is to remove power from the camera and allow the capacitor to completely drain, you can't do that remotely.

Thanks John

I want to talk solar for a minute for those considering it. I have a nice small solar setup at my cabin. I recently upgraded my solar panel and charger there for increased use. My panel is 160 watt and the charge controller is MPPT which is supposed to work well in partial sun/shade situations as it will harness more energy. This charge controller allows me to see on my iphone what it is charging at and history of how much Watts it has produced per day.

So now to my point. I am sure these components that I have here are probably higher quality components than what is used in the Cuddeback. Not a nock on Cuddeback, but if they used higher price components then the solar would cost alot more. On a cloudy day it is remarkable how little of energy is actually produced. In good sun it will produce 120-130 Watts per hr. However just a little shade and that drops considerably. On some rainy days I have had it only put in 40 Watt in the entire day. That is just a tiny fraction of what it should be able to do in full sun.

Moral to the story is if you live in a location that gets alot of cloud cover and if your solar panel won't be in full sun pretty much most of the day, then I don't recommend using the solar panel for the Cuddeback. I had solar units from Cuddeback on my cameras last year and they were definitely better than just running stock batteries. However 2 out of the 3 were not in full sun and I wasn't getting as long of battery life as I had hoped. I switched to the dual power banks this year and so far I have been happy with them. In full sun situations though I think the solar is great as it is alot cheaper option.

Just some food for though for those considering external power sources.

Last edited:
I don't remember this from the first time setting up the cameras last year but when setting out the J cameras and rolling through the commands under Link menu, there is a Link Lvl. Should that show a number to confirm it is connecting to the home K camera? When I got to that part it just showed --- and that's it.
I did a cell test on the K camera and it worked just fine but when putting out the J cameras is there a way to know they are connecting to the home camera while out in the field or do you have to wait to see if the first pics come through?

I don't remember this from the first time setting up the cameras last year but when setting out the J cameras and rolling through the commands under Link menu, there is a Link Lvl. Should that show a number to confirm it is connecting to the home K camera? When I got to that part it just showed --- and that's it.
I did a cell test on the K camera and it worked just fine but when putting out the J cameras is there a way to know they are connecting to the home camera while out in the field or do you have to wait to see if the first pics come through?

The link level does show that it is connected and how good the connection is. It can sometimes can take a couple of minutes to register.

The link level does show that it is connected and how good the connection is. It can sometimes can take a couple of minutes to register.
With the mosquitos I didn't stick around for long. The one remote I was setting up when checking the link level is only about 300 yards from the home camera so I would think it wouldn't have any problem, even though it is in the woods.
I'm back up at the cabin so we will see what comes across tonight. May have to go back out there in the morning but I hope not, its flooded and a long walk.

With the mosquitos I didn't stick around for long. The one remote I was setting up when checking the link level is only about 300 yards from the home camera so I would think it wouldn't have any problem, even though it is in the woods.
I'm back up at the cabin so we will see what comes across tonight. May have to go back out there in the morning but I hope not, its flooded and a long walk.
I always like to see the level so I know I didn't accidentally change the channel. LOL. I often will turn the camera on and put it on that command when heading to the next camera spot. That way it will be linked up by the time I get there.

I always like to see the level so I know I didn't accidentally change the channel. LOL. I often will turn the camera on and put it on that command when heading to the next camera spot. That way it will be linked up by the time I get there.
Well, looks like it is all linked up. Just got pictures from all 3 cameras I set up.
I did verify the channel now that it can go higher than 16.

With the 8.0 there are some more options that I'm not familiar with.
What is the LINK COUNT?
What is the CL LOC?

What is the LINK COUNT?
What is the CL LOC?
LINK COUNT is the max amount of images a particular camera will allow in the cuddelink que to home before it overwrites the oldest image. its very rare for a link que to exceed 50 unless something is triggering it or there is an issue.
CL LOC is location number for the camera, you should always give each camera is own Location number. Ex. 1,2,3,4 etc.
these features where always in cuddelink menu prior to 8.0 although earlier versions may have been worded slightly different.

What is the LINK COUNT?
What is the CL LOC?
LINK COUNT is the max amount of images a particular camera will allow in the cuddelink que to home before it overwrites the oldest image. its very rare for a link que to exceed 50 unless something is triggering it or there is an issue.
CL LOC is location number for the camera, you should always give each camera is own Location number. Ex. 1,2,3,4 etc.
these features where always in cuddelink menu prior to 8.0 although earlier versions may have been worded slightly different.
I guess the LOC has been there but never understood if you name the location, why would a number also be required.

I guess the LOC has been there but never understood if you name the location, why would a number also be required.
Naming each camera I s for the use or convenience of the user, numbering each camera helps the system function better.

I set up my new cuddelink cell in a spot with 2 bars of Verizon LTE. Did a Cell test and it was successful. The first time the clock passed 12 I got 14 photos- Awesome. Never transmitted again. I just went and did another cell test. It stays BUSY forever and finally says FAIL: 060. What does this mean?

I just spoke with Cuddeback support. They said it was an insufficient cell signal. Man, this is disappointing. I have 2 bars of LTE with my phone. I can stream shows on my TV using my phone's hotspot but it's not enough for cuddelink. Not sure how many rural properties have 3 or 4 bars consistently. I'd love to have John V weigh in before I return the cell camera.

I just spoke with Cuddeback support. They said it was an insufficient cell signal. Man, this is disappointing. I have 2 bars of LTE with my phone. I can stream shows on my TV using my phone's hotspot but it's not enough for cuddelink. Not sure how many rural properties have 3 or 4 bars consistently. I'd love to have John V weigh in before I return the cell camera.
if you havent already i would move it to a different location and try it , sometime a small move can make a big difference . There are some alternate antennas others have tried that made a big difference but it would involve you buying them online and trying them out. Those antennas cost about $20 for a set. My personal phone can show 4 bars of LTE in a couple spots and i cant even get an image texted out but a short way down the road it works great. If you can stand in the exact spot you want the camera and load images on you phone thats a good indicator but the test on the camera is the best. I run mine twice wherever i set it. The Fail numbers are so we can determine what the issue is . Cuddeback also has ATT cell units so that may be an option to try if you currently have a Verizon versions.

I brought my camera in from the woods. I'm watching video on my phone here in the office. Cellulink can't connect. ATT is worse out here.

I brought my camera in from the woods. I'm watching video on my phone here in the office. Cellulink can't connect. ATT is worse out here.
what cell provider is your phone? when in the office you arent connected to wifi on your phone? many phones auto connect to wifi so that wouldnt be a good comparison. i would still try the cell unit in a couple different spots on your farm. Usually our unit with paddle antennas is better than many cell phones.
You can also try another unit from Cuddeback but you will have to facilitate with them so they can transfer the plans etc.

I had my cell unit out all last year with no issues. When i put them out this spring, i decided to move the cell cam about 8 ft to different tree. It wouldn't work. The test failed 3 times. I moved it back, and it has worked flawlessly so far. The point is, a small change can make all the difference. I wouldn't be so quick to quit on it.....

I bought 2-Js with the free K kit last year, not knowing if it would even work on my property. For the vast majority of my property have zero cell service. No bars. There are a few places where occasionally, I will connect on roaming and have a bar for a minute or two. I have placed the K in two different spots, and it has had sufficient signal at each. It has never missed sending in photos. The K generally has much better cell reception than my phone does. I would list to what John said and try it at a few different spots. Make sure that it can connect in an area with great coverage first, and then move it to the woods and just re-connect it.