Critique my property layout

If that was my ground I would be tempted to find a different place to bow hunt, plant the entire thing in wild flowers and switch grass with the exception of a 6 acre destination food plot. I would plant the down wind line of the plot in late dropping crabs (widely spaced so shooting opportunities aren't out of the question) and for food I'd have it half and half beans/corn rotating every year. Plant early maturing beans and over seed with a brassica mix right when you first notice the beans start to yellow. I'd also seed a winter cereal around mid September into the beans. Place 2 box blinds in locations for 2 wind directions mow paths to them to enter (hidden by the switch) Stay the hell out of it and shoot the biggest buck in the area when a cold front moves in during the black powder season.
Unfortunately, that is probably not an option. I have changed the ground usage from ag to tree farm status for tax purposes. I can have food plots and such, but I have to turn in a plan and plant trees also.

Grass or trees I’d still treat it the same way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your situation is very similar to the place where we live (also 20 acres that started with 13 acres tillable). I think you’re on the right track. We planted a lot of spruce screens around the property the first year (9 years ago). We converted some old pasture and some shallower tillable acres to switch grass. This was a game changer in terms over cover in 1-2 years. My switch is not so much for bedding (small blocks that sees some summer and early fall bedding), but for the most part it creates some edge and improves my small amount of timber while funneling deer by stands. Like other posters have mentioned, I’d really focus on improving the cover and very smart/limited hunting. Since we installed a tower with easy access, I rarely hunt my two bow stands. If there’s a deer that I really wanted to kill, I would bow hunt them during the peak of the pre-rut (that worked a few years ago). Otherwise, I’m applying very light hunting pressure. Even with my light pressure, neighboring pressure still reduces my sightings dramatically after gun season. I time my later hunts with cold weather and good food. I have 3 acres of corn and bean strips in the middle now. There are two main ways for deer to get there. One goes between bow range of the tower and the other goes by a bow stand. You need fool proof access on small properties. We even go to the extent of getting dropped off and picked up at the tree. It has been a game changer. Don’t worry so much about summer food. Focus on food meant for hunting season. I’d be looking at ways to plant the beans yourself ASAP. I’ve planted one acres with a disk and broadcasting before. I’d be putting the alfalfa field into cover. There maybe some crp options now. We enrolled 5 acres into crp with a tree planting a few years ago. Apples are also starting to come along and have been a good draw to get deer out of cover before dark. It sounds like this property is working well already. Just try to improve it by adding cover and limited low impact hunting. Good luck!