Build staging area

Northbound

5 year old buck +
This is my home property- On the n.e. corner of my property is approx 1.5 acres of woods (blue outline). Has a row of apple trees planted on south edge about 3 years ago. This has a fairly steep decline from the field but gradual goes back up to the larger woods on neighboring property to the east. There is a water source about 3/4 mile in any direction otherwise the general area is high and dry. I was going to put in a rubber roof pond about 50x50 foot in the low area of this to hold water, maybe a few rubber run ways on the hills to help fill if needed.
Today I went back to start marking important trees to not damage once I start running the skid steer around doing prep work. This got me thinking about making a staging area along with the water hole. This is painful as I have no mature trees on this property except in this corner and fence lines. My thought is cut every tree that's not an oak (most of the neighbors oaks had been logged off a few years ago). This should create enough sun for white clovers and other somewhat shade tolerant plants. Current mix is pretty even spread of oak, maple, ash and cherry. A couple giant white pines exist as well.
Questions are
1- is there a size of oak that is most productive? Maybe removing a few of the giant 24" diameter plus ones would free tons of light if say old trees bare less acorns??
2- will deer even utilize this area as staging area being that it's lower elevation than the surroundings limiting there view?
3- obviously the east neighbor has a prime funnel. Am I standing a chance of competing with that or just helping the neighbors?
The red box on south prop line I had planted 3000 white pine, 1000 Norway spruce and apple trees on very south fence line. Hoping this becomes a travel corridor to a 3 acre orchard to the west(my yard). As the wp get to thick I'll tree spade some out to sell or move onto other areas of property. Currently I'm reluctant to plant much of it as ag land in the area is at a premium and brings in some high rent rates. Only bought as it surrounded my initial 5 acre home plot. Farmer renting it has agreed to plant 2 crops each year so he currently has 20181216_144158.jpg20ish acres of alfalfa and 10ish of soy beans

I read that an oak tree is at peek production at 26".

My oldest oaks on my property produce the most acorns by far.

Thanks guys, I've never really paid any attention to what trees produced the most. Usually to busy staring at the ground for deer sign

I have never created a staging area but the staging area the deer use on my property is in the thickest brush that they have available and it's right next to a foodplot. I watch the deer hang in the thick stuff until it gets dark enough that they feel safe and start trickling into the plot. Of course the thick stuff IS a higher elevation than the plot so they have a great view from security to see the whole plot before stepping out. I am going to put up a stand in the thick stuff because the deer are in the staging area for a good half hour before coming out. Waiting for a shot at a deer out in the open plot just doesn't work out too often.

I know we're several states to the east of you, but our largest oaks are the biggest acorn producers for sure. They put down bushels.

Ok well I'll certainly leave the big oaks then. After I started dropping other trees this week I've noticed most of the small (10" diameter) oaks are just giant pencils with very little branching so can't imagine they where producing much mast. One of my employees was getting all excited when I told him I was taking down cherry. He has a friend with a mill that offered to mill up my pine in trade for the cherry logs. I have zero clue as to log values but I was going to just make firewood so seems like a decent deal.

Food plots I've put in on my wooded properties I've always burned brush in middle of plot. I'm a little concerned doing that here and the heat damaging these oaks that I'm focusing on so much. Any thoughts on heat damaging branches up 30 feet above fire?

I don't burn anything near any trees I want to keep. Oaks are pretty tough, but you can still damage them if your fire is too close. I take the leftover tree tops and make brushpiles that steer deer movement and provide good small hunting.

I have seen a hot ground fire take out plantation pines many weeks after the fire has passed. No branches on the bottom 17 feet so no fire in the trees but all dead from being cooked a month later just like the forester predicted. Careful with burning too close or large area by live trees. Ours was courtesy of somebody from a few miles away that burned up 500+ acres. Down south they burn thru pines but that is usually done in a manner they call "cool" fires.

Northbound - I don't want to change your mind on the smaller oaks (pencils with no big canopies), but we had a bunch like that too. They were crowded in by many other trees - that's why they grew only upward toward the sky to get light. Once we did some logging, those smaller dia. oaks got lots more light all around them and they started to expand their canopies. And with less competition from other close trees, they expanded their diameters too. Just a FYI / FWIW bit of info - however you want to manage your woods.

Northbound - I don't want to change your mind on the smaller oaks (pencils with no big canopies), but we had a bunch like that too. They were crowded in by many other trees - that's why they grew only upward toward the sky to get light. Once we did some logging, those smaller dia. oaks got lots more light all around them and they started to expand their canopies. And with less competition from other close trees, they expanded their diameters too. Just a FYI / FWIW bit of info - however you want to manage your woods.
Good to hear, I wish I had paid more attention to these trees during the growing season. I'm just programmed to be staring at ground level for deer sign I guess. Will these pencil oaks shoot out branches lower now that they have been freed like a apple tree will or just continue to build canopy at the heights they've already reached?

^^^^ I haven't seen any branches forming lower on the trunks, mainly up higher nearer the top. The branches up there seem to be expanding and gaining length. Wider canopy / thicker canopy. We're still fairly early in our "sunlighting" of that area, and we may see more limbs forming as time goes on, but not sure as of now. The longer, straighter trunks will be great for future timber sales - for you and us. The expanding canopies will put down more acorns for sure, and the trunks will get thicker, even if we don't get new, lower limbs.

I hope yours do well for you.