Let’s talk Destination plots

Are you guys caging pear trees too? I've caged all my apples and chestnuts but my pears are tubed with 5' tubes.

.......more confirmation of the eternal verity

All threads will eventually lead to tubes v cages........

bill

Reactions: Rit
Rit - Beyond your fields - that thick, brushy crap in the background of your pix looks like it could hold LOTS of deer !!! I'd love to have THAT on our property - thick cover = great bedding/security. Your plots and screens look to be doing really well. Screens take some time - but well worth it.

Are you guys caging pear trees too? I've caged all my apples and chestnuts but my pears are tubed with 5' tubes.

.......more confirmation of the eternal verity

All threads will eventually lead to tubes v cages........

bill

Didn’t mean to go there! I guess the better question would be, do deer generally browse pears hard enough to “require” a cage.

Don’t mean to hijack the thread, fruit/nut trees are a big part of my destination plan with the lack of tillable acres on our land.

Cool topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t mean to go there! I guess the better question would be, do deer generally browse pears hard enough to “require” a cage.

Don’t mean to hijack the thread, fruit/nut trees are a big part of my destination plan with the lack of tillable acres on our land.

Cool topic!

I put 2 Kieffer pear trees in this field and they stripped them 5’ down. They didn’t kill them but sure made me wish I protected them. I’ll cage them before Spring green up though. One was rubbed a little also.

Rit - Beyond your fields - that thick, brushy crap in the background of your pix looks like it could hold LOTS of deer !!! I'd love to have THAT on our property - thick cover = great bedding/security. Your plots and screens look to be doing really well. Screens take some time - but well worth it.
BB - the South of the field is a swampy thick area and the East is a brushy thick area. Both good problems to have. Below is a picture from the East side looking towards the “destination field” it’s about a 60 yard buffer between this plot I cut into the brush. This area has always held deer. When I first decided to make the big field a destination spot I would not hunt I was somewhat apprehensive about the deer movement. Hunting this year and watching deer movement I no longer have that concern. The deer use this small long plot as a staging or transition zone while waiting to go out into the big field. They browse the brush and snack on the plot.

With having bedding on both ends of the food, and pretty good cover I get to watch bucks cruise all times of the day between those bedding areas. Most of the bucks that come looking in that brush cruise along that edge. 5CD248C5-B5B7-4994-B455-D3F1868352A0.jpeg

BB - the South of the field is a swampy thick area and the East is a brushy thick area. Both good problems to have. Below is a picture from the East side looking towards the “destination field” it’s about a 60 yard buffer between this plot I cut into the brush. This area has always held deer. When I first decided to make the big field a destination spot I would not hunt I was somewhat apprehensive about the deer movement. Hunting this year and watching deer movement I no longer have that concern. The deer use this small long plot as a staging or transition zone while waiting to go out into the big field. They browse the brush and snack on the plot.

With having bedding on both ends of the food, and pretty good cover I get to watch bucks cruise all times of the day between those bedding areas. Most of the bucks that come looking in that brush cruise along that edge. View attachment 21942
This is what my dreams look like.

Reactions: Rit
I have been doing a lot of research lately for trees and shrubs that I’d like to order for my destination plot. I have some clay in my soil and probably have more than I think. I have been reading how chestnuts do not do well in clay. Anyone with some first hand experience with chestnuts and clay?

Rit, post #25 - Sounds like deer nirvana !! I'm trying to establish brushier staging areas at my camp. You have that brush in spades. Good luck with the rest of your projects.

I have been doing a lot of research lately for trees and shrubs that I’d like to order for my destination plot. I have some clay in my soil and probably have more than I think. I have been reading how chestnuts do not do well in clay. Anyone with some first hand experience with chestnuts and clay?

I have several chestnuts planted on clay. It’s the drainage that is critical with chestnuts. They will not survive on soils that are poorly drained.