Crimson clover question

homegrownbucks

5 year old buck +
We are in Wisconsin, and broadcast some crimson clover into some of our corn in the fall. Some took then but we have a nice carpet of it growing now in the spring. Should be expect this to reseed by fall? I haven't used it too much and am not sure what to expect in this situation.

We are in Wisconsin, and broadcast some crimson clover into some of our corn in the fall. Some took then but we have a nice carpet of it growing now in the spring. Should be expect this to reseed by fall? I haven't used it too much and am not sure what to expect in this situation.
I would hedge your bet and broadcast some more seed right before a rain or roll it in. My red clover just started to flower out, not sure if it will reseed or not.

Crimson clover is an annual. It acts as a reseeding annual in some areas. You seem pretty far north for good reseeding.

Thanks,

Jack

We had some reseeding of crimson clover at camp in northern Pa. - zones 5 & 6 border - but it was sparse. I wouldn't bank on good reseeding there.

Ok, Is it because the seed drops too late in the year?

I don't know about the seed drop timing, but Crimson is better at re-seeding in warmer climates. We got some re-seeding at my camp, but not much. You're in Wisconsin, so I'd think you'd have trouble getting much re-seeding because you're colder than where camp is in Pa. Other guys may know differently, but from all I've read and studied, crimson clover isn't a good bet for re-seeding in colder areas. Ours grew great when first seeded - no good on the re-seeding ........ very sparse.

^^^ What Bowsnsbucks said... down our way (North FL) crimson does so well reseeding that you would guess it's a perennial and not an annual. Honestly for that matter, white clover and arrow leaf are about the same way on my place though crimson really stands out as thriving in the spring.

^^^^^^^ what he said!!!!!

arrowleaf/crimson are excellent reseeders here

Along with oats/winter rye......they are idiot proof

Thank you for your service to our country

Happy Memorial Day

God bless America

bill

I get reseeding

When does that come up for you?

Seed production is dependent on flower production, but the presence of flowers doesn't necessarily lead to seed production! There are a pile of reasons why. Insects (or the lack thereof). Disease. Soil fertility. Climate and climate as its related to the previous.

Bees.

Seed production requires pollination. No bees. No pollination. And the length of the flowering season is critical. I suppose this is a major factor in the seed production differences north to south. A field of crimson clover that flowers in a short period to time (north?) risks poor pollination as there's not enough time for bees to get to all the flowers. A more staggered flowering period (south?) offers more opportunity. Variety is also a factor. Some are good seed producers. Other's not so much. Even in the best case, re-seeding isn't great.

While there are a variety of factors that influence reseeding, it doesn't take long to get a feel for how it acts in your area. In my area, I used to double crop buckwheat when bringing an old logging deck on-line as a food plot in the spring/summer and plant winter rye in the fall. It worked but I found better practices over time. Double cropping buckwheat gave me a lethargic first crop because I had to plant early enough to get in a second crop and the soil temps were lower than I would like. It also required 3 plantings a year. For some reason, I need to do at least light tillage when planting buckwheat on my soils.

Over time, I learned it was better to start in the fall with a mix of WR and Crimson Clover. Both surface broadcast pretty well if I don't want to do the light tillage. All of these crops are good soil builders. However, I found that if I start in the fall, crimson clover reseeds and grows in the spring. I can mow the WR to release it or just let it head out depending on the relative thickness. WR is not used much by deer in the spring but the crimson clover is. It is also providing N. I can then wait for soil temps to get close to 80 degrees before planting a single crop of buckwheat.

This method has the advantage of reduced tillage (good for the soil), less work, less expensive, and does not "clean the table" for deer. One key to this is understanding what kind of reseeding to expect from the crimson. This technique may not work as well in an area where reseeding is poor.

Thanks,

Jack

Here is what a few of the spots look like, we do have honey bees too so we will see what happens.

D8945FA0-4EB6-4976-8483-8F5A1F8D4B7E_zpsqqgoy9m2.jpg

729F621F-781A-4BDF-B7EB-8617A4E2D268_zps6qqijirh.jpg

Is that the re-seeded crop in the pic ?? If so, you have lots more than we got at my camp !! Our 2nd year volunteer crimson was much less.

I think it's seed that didn't germ in fall that took off in spring, just trying to figure out if it will reseed for fresh fall growth or not.

I plant it mixed with ladino and chicory in my orchards, the deer and bees like it and I really like the bloom in spring.
It does reseed here some, I haven't been planting crimson enough years yet to know how good...I overseed with it in late fall or early spring anyway because it's cheap and I like to see it.

I add crimson to my LC cereal grain mix along with med red, the crimson shows up the next spring pretty good but very sparse after that even though I let it seed out. Couple pics from yesterday.

Scott - I've never seen that fuzzy-top white clover in any fields before !! ^^^^^ :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::emoji_laughing: Did you ever put hot bacon dressing over dandelion greens before ?? Good eatin' !! Dandelion is good in salads too. But it has to be young to be good - older plants get tough & stringy.

Nice looking plot mix in the pix.