crimper roller

CooterBrown

5 year old buck +
Does anyone know the correct spacing for a roller crimper to affectively kill cover crops. Like what is the measurement that is need to brake the stems. Do the stems need crimped every 8" or 6" or how often?

If you are looking for plans to build one, google up Rodale Institute

bill

I assume its more of a weight to surface area issue (how much psi is applied per "blade") I again ASSUME that everything above the lowest crimp dies and every crimp above that doesn't do squat.

Just once to break circulation. The problem is you need closer spacing if you're going to crimp more than just rye for example. Crimson clover, buckwheat, etc can be crimp killed but you'll be "missing" them if you're spacing is too far apart. Make sense?

I assume its more of a weight to surface area issue (how much psi is applied per "blade") I again ASSUME that everything above the lowest crimp dies and every crimp above that doesn't do squat.

Agree, the more crimp bars hitting the soil, the less down pressure. So a fine line between getting a crimp on everything vs spacing too far. I think that's why several brands use a chevron pattern.

Trying to build my own. Thanks

Or find a good used one

I built one that I am still fine tuning. If I knew when I started the project what I do now it would have saved me a bunch of time and frustration.

I built one that I am still fine tuning. If I knew when I started the project what I do now it would have saved me a bunch of time and frustration.
So tell me all I need to know LOL. Got some pics?

There is a couple of pics in my land tour and also if memory serves me in the project/build something portion of this site.

I built mine out of T posts and other material I've acquired over the years.