All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating deer movement via foodplots

No, you're reading it right. The problem is if you want to hunt bucks outside of the rut on my 20 acres, you are not going to be very successful. During the rut, you'll be in heaven. It's feast or famine on doe factories.

Got it! Thanks. Yes, those are my observations on my small 30 too. I do not hope to, nor do I think I can, provide everything a buck needs on 30 acres. I manage my land for does...a doe factory. I do not get many buck pics throughout the summer and early fall. I don't really get to know the bucks. Don't give them cute names. No "hit list" bucks. But man, come the last week of October. though the 3rd, even 4th week of November, the bucks starting showing up daily and during daylight.

creating a doe factory was the best thing I ever did at my place. Since trying to do that - and being successful - I have the highest deer density in the area - and the highest buck density in the area - by far. I have two properties - eight miles apart in the same river bottoms - and they manage nothing alike. Mr Sturgis is a knowledgeable deer manager - but not so much that his advice applies to every piece of deer ground all across the US
Every piece of property is different and I think it varies more on surrounding hunting pressure.
Low pressure the bucks can bed further away but if you are in a high pressure area as I am in NJ, I usually start the season with a herd of resident does around 15. As the season progresses, the deer pile in. I can have as many as 40 does. I dont have bucks that live on my 50 acres but as the season progresses, they filter in with the does. If you have does and food, come late October into the late season the bucks follow and they dont seem to mind all the does.

I think doe factories are a bunch of crap used to sell books. 90% of us will never have too many does.

I'd like to invite you out to my place...

I guess maybe I'm a 10%er... Not nearly as cool as if I was one of those rich 1%ers, but I guess it's ok

I dont know about deer regulations in all states - but in most of the south, doe bag limits allow the opportunity to prevent being overpopulated with deer. We can kill six antlerless deer. Me, my wife, son, and his buddy hunt my 400 acres. Also have a couple of grand daughters who are getting a little blood thirsty. We could kill 36 does if we wanted to. Any overpopulation problems would be on us. In fact - my camera surveys in 2013 showed 4 antlerless deer. That was primarily due to us buying into our G&F kool-aide of balancing the herd. We shot our does, striving to balance the herd. Trouble is, when your doe population gets that low in our area - with a sub .5 fawn recruitment number - the few does left cant produce enough fawns to keep up with mortality. Bucks bred the few does in a hurry - and then left - looking for greener pastures. In our case, we should have allowed the bucks to increase to match the doe numbers to balance the herd, instead of decreasing the doe numbers. Took us a couple of years to decrease the doe population. Took us seven years to get them back. That was a harsh lesson. 26 antler-less deer on last years camera survey. 24 unique bucks.

There is a 10,000 acre hunting lease about ten miles from me. There are 40 members. They are overpopulated with deer. They average killing 40 does per year. They could kill 240 - plus they get extra doe tags because they are enrolled in DMAP. Family members also hunt. They can bring a guest. They could probably legally kill 500 or 600 does per year - but kill 40 and then gripe about too many deer. I know several folks - including myself - who have volunteered to go kill some does on their lease. They have no one to blame but themselves.

My area in NJ is unlimited antlerless. Shoot as many as you want for 6 months. Its crazy.
On top of unlimited does you can get 6 buck tags.
I shoot 0 does on my farm now and its been that way for 2 years and the 1st 3 years I owned it probably took 2 a season.
I only have 2 stands on the entire 50. If I sit it a half dozen times in a season thats alot but when a buck shows up, I have a really good chance at shooting him.