Crabapple timeline

Someone just asked if that Signal Fire fruit is full-sized yet.
Is Signal Fire a crab - or do those apples get bigger?? Where did you get SF??

I just ordered one each of

Red Jewel
Sugar Tyme
Adirondack

Mostly for winter interest in my yard because they are persistent small red fruited crabs. Looking forward to seeing how they do as an ornamentals.

If you were to buy two or three crabs for combination deer use and human use - close to no spray as possible - must be CAR resistant - and dont care about drop times or holding on tree, for southern US - what would you get. I have dolgo and Eliza’s Choice

I just ordered one each of

Red Jewel
Sugar Tyme
Adirondack

Mostly for winter interest in my yard because they are persistent small red fruited crabs. Looking forward to seeing how they do as an ornamentals.
I have a Sugar Tyme crab in our back yard. It's a really good tree. DR, good fall color, and 3/8" red fruit that's good fall / winter food for birds. Bought it from a landscape nursery. Trunk caliper at planting was about 1 1/2" - it's now about 3". I planted it 5 years ago, and it's now 11' tall - not on standard rootstock - so it won't get really big, it fits the spot it's in.

I'd buy more if I had more room here at home.

I have Dolgo and Eliza’s Choice out at one of the farms in one of the deer orchards.

If you were to buy two or three crabs for combination deer use and human use - close to no spray as possible - must be CAR resistant - and dont care about drop times or holding on tree, for southern US - what would you get. I have dolgo and Eliza’s Choice
Send a PM to Native Hunter as he lives in self described CAR hell and has some ones he likes or at least not crossed off the list yet. Believe Yates is one and think Hewes (Virginia) crab is another. Both are well respected southern apples/crabs and are mentioned as good for cider.

Not sure on disease issues but Thomas Jefferson was said to be a fan of the Albemarle Pippin for a great southern apple.

I got my order of Adirondack, Sugar Tyme and Red Jewel yesterday and got them in the ground in my yard. Not really the best time of year to be planting trees but they were on clearance and I couldn’t help myself so it is what it is. Hope they grow.

Tree looks very clean. Any problems we can't see in the pic??

Tree looks very clean. Any problems we can't see in the pic??

If you are asking about the Firecracker, mine are very clean. Not even any leaf spot which a lot of my trees got this year. I have two at each farm and have been extremely pleased with how precious they are.

Has anyone grown Kerr in zone 8?

Is Signal Fire a crab - or do those apples get bigger?? Where did you get SF??
Bows,

Signal Fire is a roadside find from the Northern tip of lower Michigan, and it is full-sized in the last two photos I posted, ~1.25 to 1.5” in diameter.

It usually drops too late for hunting, although deer do visit it during the fall and early winter to take the low hanging fruit. I like it because it provides wildlife food at a time when it is in short supply, and for it’s colorful fruit, in what can be a rather bleak looking landscape.

Last edited:
I have extremely heavy CAR pressure, and Kerr is pristine. Yates seems a little susceptible, but not to the extent that it will be dropping leaves or anything.

My young Kerr on antonovka and signal fire on m111 are cedar rust free. Crossbow and Franklin cider is another rust free crab too. Great branch angles and growth rate too on both. Crossbow for done reason difnt get hit with caterpillars and is handling aphid pressure well Freedom and droptine surprised me with some rust, nothing bad though.

My Keepsake grafts are showing a slight bit of CAR but nothing to bad

FD5EBD0D-3388-4E55-B4A4-D82F3320955F.jpegBC3AD933-120A-4314-9BD7-65C35A19207F.jpeg
I expect to be picking Norlands by the end of the week. I hope a few escaped the hail damage. My buddy and scion source for this tree picked on July 30 last year. He has given me good advice to pick them a bit early to have good crunch.

Crossbow seems to be dodging Japanese beetles too.

My golden delicious from turkey creek doesn't have a hint of cedar apple rust. 50 yards away my old orchard has orange fuzz on the apples.

Kerr is growing great too.

This year the beetles are going into the traps. Spectacle ones from lowes.

Only lost a Anty seedling that rejected chesnut and a saturn peach from stark. Planted 25 4ft+ bareroots 40 seedlings and had a dozen amty rootstock get nibbled up in december.

Swampcat. Liberty is a good 2/4 legged apple tree. Kerr. Enterprise. Early dropping trees are a good idea too. Pristine and trailman is what it planted. Hoping to make a hard cider from both. Pristine 16.

I like my old liberty tree and have planted several new ones but its ripen date is a bit early for actual hunting benefit my enterprise is better in that regard and even it’s a bit early at my location zone 6b. I’m hoping some of the trees verities I’ve planted in the last couple years fill the latter maturing niche better.

I like my old liberty tree and have planted several new ones but its ripen date is a bit early for actual hunting benefit my enterprise is better in that regard and even it’s a bit early at my location zone 6b. I’m hoping some of the trees verities I’ve planted in the last couple years fill the latter maturing niche better.
I usually get the buck jitters off my plate with an early october bowhunt. Usually a doe or so-so buck depending on how buy I am that time of year. Deer #2 of the season is usually much nicer. Far as bow hunting goes, my main concern is a closer range broadside shot on a calm animal. Seen too many slob shot with a bow to play much past 30 yards, usually get one exactly at my 20 pin. Those 2 drops of blood searches for a buddies deer. experiences......

Liberty drop times are pretty good with that schedule. And liberty is a versitle apple too. Cornell makes a good number of varieties with liberty mixed in.