Crabapple timeline

Wondering if the drench mentioned by Bows would work for them (it's a year long thing and you can't eat the fruit if used) but if it kept them from eating all your foilage it might be worth it?
I think it was called Bayer Bio Advanced Tree and Shrub Protect with Feed (1 Year). If it saves my trees for a year (mine are all still very young) and I am probably not going to have much fruit anyway it might be worth it
A product like that is probably an every year treatment.

A product like that is probably an every year treatment.
agreed..I was hoping if they showed up at my place (I am in North central PA, seemingly on the border of no bugs/yes bugs) they would be "transitory" and if I controlled them well for a couple years they might not stick around....

Bows probably has them worse than anyone being in SE PA but from what I've seen in Harrisburg they've only gotten worse. I work in a big block building and they're just plastered to the side of it. If remember I'll take a pic next time I'm there.

We just finished supper(grilled walleye)! When I went out o start the grill, a young doe was eating crabs under the chestnut crab. Three times I told her she was ok and she just kept eating.

Then I couldn’t see her and looked to see where she went. She was under the other chestnut crab tree.

This is the sixth day of bow season. Guess what crab I would plant for early bow season! It seems to be consistent, year after year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes discriminating wildlife prefer chestnut crab over others. Yogi likes to rip major limbs off mine every few years
DSC02241 Chestnutlarge.JPG

While leaving the Whitney less than 20 ft away completely untouched year after year.
DSC02243 whitney large.JPG

Chestnut is a bit too early here for much carry over into bow season. Right now Hewes/ Virginia crab is still holding a lot of apples and dropping a few every day.

Chestnut is a bit too early here for much carry over into bow season. Right now Hewes/ Virginia crab is still holding a lot of apples and dropping a few every day.

When does chestnut drop and does it have a long drop time for you?

When is bow season?

When does chestnut drop and does it have a long drop time for you?

When is bow season?

Bow season starts on the 15th. Seems like Chestnut matures about mid August and drops fairly moderately quickly.

Bow season starts on the 15th. Seems like Chestnut matures about mid August and drops fairly moderately quickly.

Bow for us started last weekend. Our chestnut's are close to maturing, have not seen many dropping yet.

Sept 15?

I was worried that, that's how they got to my house. My truck usually has a handful on them when I leave the office
You know the saying .... "time is money" ..... so no one's taking the time to inspect vehicles for lantern flies or their egg masses. If any of us did as we should - myself included - we'd be going over our vehicles with a fine-toothed comb & spraying to kill them. But realistically - it's a stretch for every time we drive somewhere. It would have been a much smarter move to have a government agency with enough manpower & budget to inspect ALL incoming shipments from overseas to eliminate invasive bugs from entering the U.S. But we have to SLASH the budgets of NECESSARY agencies to appease the political "budget hawks." (Some agencies ARE NECESSARY). So by lost crops of grapes, various fruits, trees & landscape plants ..... and the huge amount of money being spent already - and will continue to be spent to combat lantern flies - was it a prudent financial move to SLASH the budgets and manpower of agencies charged with keeping unwanted pests OUT of the U.S. ??????? It's how we've been invaded by various thrips and sap-sucking, leaf-chewing bugs, plant & animal diseases of various kinds, and invasive plants by the dozens. No inspecting manpower/budgets to adequately cover the bases.

This lantern fly invasion started because people want "new, novel, uncommon" rocks from an Asian region to use in their landscapes - things their neighbors don't have, for bragging purposes. And it started at a stone quarry in SE Pa. (where I live, close to said quarry) who imported the rocks for the "novelty" of foreign stone. What's wrong with our native stone ??????? The market of one-upmanship bit us in the a**.

Humans .......... the smartest animal on earth???

How bad these things supposed to get? Is it worth it to even plant fruit trees anymore?
Yes - it's worth it. But once the lantern flies get to your places, it'll COST you money and time to combat them. Pay now - pay later. There are some effective soil drenches that can be water-in around your fruit and landscape trees & shrubbery ......... but it'll COST money. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to slash the budgets of the Dept. of Agriculture & other federal, state, & local agencies charged with keeping unwanted pests out of the U.S. after all. Just a thought to chew on as we shell out $$$ for years to come fighting foreign invaders. And it's not just apple & pear trees ....... it's grapes (fruit & wine), maple trees, cherry trees, plum trees, peach trees, landscape plants, and who knows how many other plants the lantern flies will take a liking to. They aren't actually "flies" - they're a sap-sucking leaf-hopper.

How bad can they get?? Our maple tree in the front yard had 'em on the trunk stacked up like roof shingles - no joke. Alfred Hitchcock vision. Scary.

Wondering if the drench mentioned by Bows would work for them (it's a year long thing and you can't eat the fruit if used) but if it kept them from eating all your foilage it might be worth it?
I think it was called Bayer Bio Advanced Tree and Shrub Protect with Feed (1 Year). If it saves my trees for a year (mine are all still very young) and I am probably not going to have much fruit anyway it might be worth it to me.
Yes. Bio-Advanced Tree & Shrub Protection ........... made by Bayer - the aspirin tablet folks, in Germany. It's good for 1 year. Lots of trees & shrubs = lots of money spent.

See above gripes about how this kind of sh** happens and the reasons we're in the sh***er with foreign invasives. Not every government agency is a waste.

I haven't seen them yet (NE of Williamsport) and am hoping I never do but it's just a matter of time I think. I am thankful that I live where I plant my trees and can spray very quickly once I notice anything happening. I did that this year with gypsy moth caterpillars. I had a friend who lives 30+ miles from his cabin who was making the trip every other day when they were bad to spray not only his trees but also his cabin as they were so thick he didn't want them to damage it. I had to make some quick runs up the hill with some spray earlier this summer to combat the gypsy moth caterpillars, but can't imagine having to do that from a distance. After next spring, I will have 33 fruit trees in my plot, along with ~3 dozen trees in a screen near the border. Just that is alot to spray and I also have ~3 dozen fruit trees below my house. I guess I should just pray for no additional pests and get the wand on my sprayer fixed.....

Last edited:
7c005d5e92a054dc170f458a1e1568e0.jpg

A doe and a fawn or two seem to visit the home orchard every night. They seem to eat the entire chestnut crab, but take bites out of the bigger wind falls. The deer then move on to the alfalfa or the silage that’s is beginning to be chopped.

We have a bear in our section. He has been piling up sweet corn in my neighbors commercial patch. I fear what he has done to my outback apple trees.

3734768e8c6794e5c98b779269889987.jpg

Little bucks are starting to move.