Crabapple timeline

View attachment 56773
Chestnut Crab is starting to drop and is very tasty. This would be my first choice for an early season Minnesota bow hunter. It probably would work well in northern Wisconsin / UP as well.
E57A00D6-69A2-473D-9BBC-84E5390D1545.jpeg
Kinderkrisp will be mixed with the Chestnut Crab and some odds and ends for apple sauce.

CB193E43-E081-41FF-812C-C0EB91CF5948.jpeg
September Ruby is very close to harvest time. I did eat my first Goodland today.

FAFC52D5-30DB-4902-B668-6B72F36F03DC.jpeg
Firecracker Crab, hail damage and all. I put a few in the bucket for the next batch of apple sauce. It colors the sauce or cider and is very tart. Not very impressive but it produces well.

BF8F2EFD-8399-4020-9265-B0D27CB55226.jpeg
The original Big Dog grows by my garden. Here it is as no spray and with hail damage. A few apples are dropping, probably from the drought as it has had no water.
I consider it inedible and very hard. It is a great winter food source in my climate.

I should finally be able to try Violi’s Hanging this year after 7 years. Not sure when to even think about trying it though. No idea on ripening time.
Our 1 camp Violi's is a mystery to me too. Something seems to get to them before I can taste them or tell when they drop. This year's an off-year though - late frosts / freezes at camp - very few apples.

6019BC6E-63FB-4869-8B54-442DE332527C.jpeg
Chestnut Crabs are dropping and Kinderkrisp are ripe. Applesauce from the two them is on deck for tomorrow.

My wife wants 52 packages of apple sauce in the freezer. We are approaching 50.

I have a few View attachment 56908good young chestnut crabs with fruit in Minnesota. Here is a pic of one….
Have you tasted some? My trees are dropping and should attract deer for the bow opener but there are lots of acorns this year.

Yes not too bad !

My chestnuts are dropping as well, and the ones on the trees, are getting mushy/soft.
my Libertys are soft as well, but they dropeed most of their apples a couple weeks ago, the ones that are still on the trees, are stuck on good, you have to tug on them, so maybe I will get a few late hangers from them.

My chestnuts are dropping as well, and the ones on the trees, are getting mushy/soft.
my Libertys are soft as well, but they dropeed most of their apples a couple weeks ago, the ones that are still on the trees, are stuck on good, you have to tug on them, so maybe I will get a few late hangers from them.
Many of my trees are running a week or so early, but a few seem to be on the normal schedule.

77324710-CC9D-49FD-B979-7E12608757EA.jpeg
Linda Sweet is from GRIN, per my memory. It has a somewhat thick skin and is a dense crab, but is sweet. It is ripe and starting to drop.

Sanbur, you got any pics of kerr how they look. Your big dog, what time do they start droppin same with kerr. Putting more kerr up north than any other tree, but I have a big dog that is growing very well on a M111. Didn't try anty yet. Digging up (2) 30-06sI planted in decmeber on B118 to make room for more varieties at home.

Sanbur, you got any pics of kerr how they look. Your big dog, what time do they start droppin same with kerr. Putting more kerr up north than any other tree, but I have a big dog that is growing very well on a M111. Didn't try anty yet. Digging up (2) 30-06sI planted in decmeber on B118 to make room for more varieties at home.
Kerr out front in the orchard is resting this year. Kerr outback is loaded but fruit is small and hail damaged.

Big Dog notes. Dropping 10-20-19. 11-15-21 Big Dog continues long slow drop.

Big Dog has been dropping just some apples for the last month but is still loaded. I wonder if the added heat units have sped it along( might be a sign to expect different results in a warmer climate) or if it is just drop from the drought. The apples are green and I suspect it is drought related.

Kerr notes. It seems like there is a picture somewhere above of Kerr holding fruit into March. 9-16-2020. Kerr outback is dropping and I picked them.
20-13-22 Kerr is dropping and very tasty.

Kerr seems quite variable in my climate.

Most apples are ahead of schedule this year, except for Red Baron which is behind. That tree is stressed and the fruit is plentiful but smaller than normal. The tree is stressed from sunscauld that happened decades ago and I suspect drought has added to it.